Was gifted these girls and they’re struggling. Ideas?

• Thread starter GrandmaGanja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

My buddy had an abundance of clones he took and due to familial reasons had neglected them. Thoughts on bringing them back? He has them all in buildasoil, I’ve reported them into happy frog because they look rather nute burned.

Gg#4
GMO Root Beer
Sour Diesel
Hippie Slayer

Was gifted these girls and theyre struggling ideas
Was gifted these girls and theyre struggling ideas 2
Was gifted these girls and theyre struggling ideas 3
Was gifted these girls and theyre struggling ideas 4
Badcableman

Badcableman

Those all definitely look salvageable, especially in new soil. It appears they are still in the greenhouse... How to you manage your temperatures inside? It's gotten far to warm in mine (it may only be 65 or 70 outside, but direct sun on the greenhouse will spike my temp way up to 90 to 100. All my girls are out in the open for the run... I can still protect them with enough advance warning of thunderstorm winds or hail

GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

They’ll be just fine with good light. Cultivate the medium well to aerate roots. Don’t hold back on nutes. 1/2 strength a couple of times and then go after it.

When you say cultivate well, what do you mean? I think in a week or two I will add a few inches of dirt at the bottom, give them some more soil.

They look like they're about 3 weeks away from recovery and will start to be vigorous again. As I assume you have a green thumb.

As green as an Irishman's red head!

Those all definitely look salvageable, especially in new soil. It appears they are still in the greenhouse... How to you manage your temperatures inside? It's gotten far to warm in mine (it may only be 65 or 70 outside, but direct sun on the greenhouse will spike my temp way up to 90 to 100. All my girls are out in the open for the run... I can still protect them with enough advance warning of thunderstorm winds or hail

Thanks! They were in there when I took the pictures, I move them in and out depending on the temperature. We have a hatch in the ceiling that opens, it's not a huge greenhouse, maybe 8'x8'. It does get warm in there though.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Low light higher humidity until you see nice newer growth… that will help reduce stress as you definitely dont want to push them at this point… be mindful of overwatering because they wont be drinking much until they return to health

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Low light higher humidity until you see nice newer growth… that will help reduce stress as you definitely dont want to push them at this point… be mindful of overwatering because they wont be drinking much until they return to health
i agree

GrandmaGanja

GrandmaGanja

Not sure why a couple plants look like their bases are still in peat pods. I’d remove the pod netting and add another 2-3 inches of soil in each pot. Looking good though.
Yeah the pods are still at the bases, they were reppoted and a few were still sticking out. I figure just leave them, but should remove them? I will fill in more first to but first they need to get used to these pots.

Badcableman

Badcableman

Yeah the pods are still at the bases, they were reppoted and a few were still sticking out. I figure just leave them, but should remove them? I will fill in more first to but first they need to get used to these pots.
I'd at least take an xacto knife and gently cut the outer pod "netting" being careful not to damage your roots. That's supposed to be some sort of biodegradable cornstarch crap but it takes quite a while to break down and although permeable, roots usually have more trouble than not trying to grow thru them IMHO YMMV

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'd at least take an xacto knife and gently cut the outer pod "netting" being careful not to damage your roots. That's supposed to be some sort of biodegradable cornstarch crap but it takes quite a while to break down and although permeable, roots usually have more trouble than not trying to grow thru them IMHO YMMV
Roots will grow through concrete in some cases… its a myth that the netting restricts them in any way

Badcableman

Badcableman

Roots will grow through concrete in some cases… its a myth that the netting restricts them in any way
I respectfully disagree. But like just about every other facet of growing, everyone has an opinion. Slice the Jiffy peat plugs when you transplant. Or don't. 🤷🤦🙊🙉🙈 Your plants, your rules.

Badcableman

Badcableman

I agree everyone has an opinion… respectfully the difference is some are based off fact and others are based off opinion
That's fair. Apparently some people have experienced or observed plants with less than spectacular root development which can obviously attributed to a still-intact peat pod mesh wrapper that, for whatever reason, didn't biodegrade sufficiently and roots had a difficult time permeating. Other folks, perhaps not. Hence the IMHO & YMMV in my answer.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's fair. Apparently some people have experienced or observed plants with less than spectacular root development which can obviously attributed to a still-intact peat pod mesh wrapper that, for whatever reason, didn't biodegrade sufficiently and roots had a difficult time permeating. Other folks, perhaps not. Hence the IMHO & YMMV in my answer.
It doesn’t need to be biodegradable the roots will push right through them without issue… they can exert more than 100psi of pressure and thats probably understated by 50-100%. Its just plain and simple not a factor and is 100% myth. As with any observation its only as accurate as the knowledge of the person observing. I hazard a guess that in those instances the plants were very unhealthy and even then i dont see it as possible. Many blame issues or make conclusions with little knowledge or understanding and are bias so much so that they refuse be the reason for the poor results and it must be something else.

Im bot trying to be argumentative, just trying to make sure those reading are getting factual and reliable information as thats one of the goals of this community

Badcableman

Badcableman

"As with any observation its only as accurate as the knowledge of the person observing."

This would be one of those instances where the only suggestion I have for you and those of similar mindset would be to simply go fuck off.

Badcableman

Badcableman

It doesn’t need to be biodegradable the roots will push right through them without issue… they can exert more than 100psi of pressure and thats probably understated by 50-100%. Its just plain and simple not a factor and is 100% myth. As with any observation its only as accurate as the knowledge of the person observing. I hazard a guess that in those instances the plants were very unhealthy and even then i dont see it as possible. Many blame issues or make conclusions with little knowledge or understanding and are bias so much so that they refuse be the reason for the poor results and it must be something else.

Im bot trying to be argumentative, just trying to make sure those reading are getting factual and reliable information as thats one of the goals of this community
Screenshot 20220603 081712

Perhaps you should broaden your horizons, Aqua Man.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 1250472

Perhaps you should broaden your horizons, Aqua Man.
You can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink… Thats a bit different than scientific fact. Thats your proof?

Iike i said before some base opinions on opinions and some base it off fact…

Perhaps you should try reading some factual studies. Unless you would rather base your facts on a FIRST time growers opinion and observation of something they know nothing about… as you just have

Last edited:
Badcableman

Badcableman

You can lead a horse to water but cant make it drink… Thats a bit different than scientific fact. Thats your proof?

Iike i said before some base opinions on opinions and some base it off fact…

Perhaps you should try reading some factual studies. Unless you would rather base your facts on a FIRST time growers opinion and observation of something they know nothing about… as you just have

I'm shocked at your ignorance. You own stock in Jiffy or something? Issues with peat pots are long-known and well-documented. One needs only crawl out from under the rock they live under and open their eyes and look for the information. End of story. Your story is a good one... keep preaching it, and sooner or later, someone will believe it. For a forum intended to help new growers, it is surreal at the amount of misinformation put out here for blind acceptance. As I said before, your plants, your rules.

Quite frankly, to be brutally honest, I'd be impressed if you could somehow manage to find your own asshole using both hands, a mirror, and a map.

Screenshot 20220603 085112
Screenshot 20220603 085129
Screenshot 20220603 085136
Screenshot 20220603 085157

Latest posts

Top Bottom