WATER CHILLER OFF THIS MORNING

• Thread starter johnnyrex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Good morning everyone I went to check up on my girls this morning and to my surprise I looked at the blue gardiuan meter and I saw that it said 79F holy shit WTF so I check the chiller and it was off. I check on my girls last night at around 9pm I don't know if with my foot I hit the power switch which by the way it's on the bottome side of the unit.
My question is what can I do to help any potential root damage? Also its been off for 11 hours that what estimate it. Thanks advise me

Quantum9

Quantum9

warm temps make for more rapid growing conditions, not less rapid. Unfortunately they also allow for the rapid growth of pythium.

Chillers are about preventing rot, not helping the plant grow.

You should be fine, unless you see signs that rot took hold.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Thanks quantum what do you recommend the right temp to optimize growth for the UC without running into trouble cause with warm water temp thanks.
Can't wait to see what you guys do with that awsome thread you started good luck

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

I did the same thing before but I forgot to plug mine in after I flushed the system
Everything was fine no problems just keep a look out and turn it back on

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Thanks budgoogle I already did that as soon as I saw it well have to wait an see if any ill effect

BCboys

BCboys

i'd say if you havent seen any visible sign of alagae/pythium growth on your roots, and the temps are back in check, you should be free and clear. Keep an eye on it though and I would read a bit on teas just in case it ever explodes. Even if everything is all good, I would take this as an opportunity to do the research and have a few ideas on hand for what practices you should implement if a problem begins - whether it be a fix by sterilization, living colonization, or some combination of both.
Good luck.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Q9 can you please elaborate more on this you mention that warmer water temp promote rapid growth what is consider the optimal warmest temp you would consider or are running to achieve rapid growth without introducing root rot or phylum thanks

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Q9 can you please elaborate more on this you mention that warmer water temp promote rapid growth what is consider the optimal warmest temp you would consider or are running to achieve rapid growth without introducing root rot or phylum thanks

Just turn it on and all should be fine. As for warmer water temps they do not promote rapid growth. In fact warmer temps hold less dissolved oxygen than colder water so in fact it is the opposite of what he said. Run your chiller at 63 to 65 and life will be happy, happy happy. .

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

warm temps make for more rapid growing conditions, not less rapid. Unfortunately they also allow for the rapid growth of pythium.

Chillers are about preventing rot, not helping the plant grow.

Just not so, chillers help prevent root rot by low temps but the water also holds more dissolved oxygen which makes the plants grow faster in chilled water, not slower!

You should be fine, unless you see signs that rot took hold.

You are way off base on this and your answer can cause people problems. Please stick to the facts.

Quantum9

Quantum9

If you want i can pull my text books and paste the temp charts, pretty sure i posted them in one of my early DS threads..

anyway here is a quick cut and paste from:
Interactive effects of soil temperature, atmospheric carbon dioxide and soil N on root development, biomass and nutrient uptake of winter wheat during vegetative growth

"Low soil temperature has been surprisingly neglected in most studies although it is known that it can limit shoot and root growth, and nutrient and water uptake, especially below 10 °C which is a common temperature for early crop growth in temperate regions (
Bowen, 1991
). In this temperature range, specific absorption rates of nutrients can show marked temperature dependency, with large changes in plant growth and nutrient absorption after a relatively small increase in soil temperature (
Moorby and Nye, 1984
;
Clarkson et al., 1992
;
Engels and Marschner, 1992
). "

Quantum9

Quantum9

Also disolved O2 is a myth, and has LITTLE to NO importance in the UC.

UC relies on free O2, not dissolved O2. Once a plant has uptaken a water molecule the first thing it does is split it into H H O, thus plants have unlimited access to O2 provided that they have access to water.

For a plant with a root system submerged in water, the only way for the plant to access that water is to have FREE O2 present to allow osmosis to take place.

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

My best run according to yeild had 70+degree water. I have been afraid to go that high again. Why? Cause all you farmers scare me with all this root illness.. You know what I'm gonna bump one room to 70-72 and see what happens.. My bet is better uptake. I have noticed when running low water temps my girls drink half of what they did at 72 degrees. I have been slowly each run raising water temps back up. I'm at 68 in room 1, now I'm gonna bump room 2 to 70 tonight and see...

Quantum9

Quantum9

The lower water temps slow chemical and biological reactions in general, as well as Solution uptake, transpiration and growth rate specifically...

Just be careful, as i said earlier, the rot enjoys the same conditions and will thrive as well when present.

Quantum9

Quantum9

Oh here is that chart it should be helpful... It is charting the root to shoot ratio (often used in agronomy) at various soil temps....

11083Picture 12

You should know perfectly well that im not going to provide anything that isnt factually demonstrable. I apologize if these facts force you to question your own understanding of these issues.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Im acutally in week 1 of flower I'm at currently at 65F water temp should bump it slowly to 72 or I can just raise it to 72 and keep it there with fluctuation?

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

When I checked room 1 temp was 69 and room 2 is 68. It seems I already bumped them up. Looking over my notes I saw I bumped the temps the last two weeks of veg. Coincidently that's when things really started to take off, or maybe not ;) I believe this run will kill all my past runs.. Quantum, what temps do you like to run your stew?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

The only way to get more do into water is to lower the temp

Higher dissolved oxygen great for productivity, health and vigor
Research > Learn About Research > News > Higher dissolved oxygen great for productivity, health and vigor
By Robert Fieldhouse
(Guelph, October 13, 2005)

Dissolving more oxygen into hydroponic solutions could boost greenhouse productivity and provide a whole host of other benefits too, say University of Guelph researchers.
Prof. Mike Dixon and Dr. Youbin Zheng, Department of Environmental Biology, are investigating the positive aspects of using an oxygen diffuser to increase oxygen levels in greenhouse hydroponic solutions used to grow roses, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.

Dr. Youbin Zheng, Department of Environmental Biology, is studying if oxygen levels can be boosted in hydroponic solutions to help growers ward off harmful microbes and boost productivity.

Photo credit: Olivia Brown

Preliminary results suggest a higher dissolved oxygen level increase productivity, health and root vigor in greenhouse plants, and helps keep harmful microbes in check.
“These findings are really beneficial to the industry,” says Zheng. “If we can use oxygen to boost plant health, making them stronger and more resistant to disease, we've discovered a very helpful tool.”
Oxygen isn't as prevalent in warm water as in cool water, so oxygen levels tend to be low -- about two to four parts per million (ppm) -- at high greenhouse temperatures, compared to eight to nine ppm in cool water. Under hot weather in the greenhouse, the root zone is especially short on oxygen, says Zheng, because root respiration depletes oxygen in hydroponic solutions. Excessive watering can further depress oxygen levels because it makes growth media, such as rockwool or coconut fibre, less porous, blocking air. These factors all weaken plant disease defense systems, making them more susceptible to disease-causing microbes such as Fusarium and Pythium which cause root decay.
To prevent this problem, greenhouse growers typically bubble air into hydroponic solutions to bring oxygen levels up to about nine ppm. But sometimes this still isn't enough.
Two years ago, the BC Greenhouse Growers' Association asked Dixon to investigate using even higher oxygen levels in hydroponic solutions. His literature review revealed that very little work had been done in this area suggesting the problem was largely ignored – until now.
Dixon and Zheng are using an oxygen diffuser recently developed and manufactured by Seair Diffusion Systems Inc., an Edmonton-based company with an interest in the greenhouse sector. The diffuser concentrates atmospheric oxygen, and dissolves it into hydroponic solutions. With this technology, oxygen levels can reach as high as 60 ppm in hydroponic solutions.
The research team is currently studying the effects of different oxygen levels, ranging from about nine ppm to 40 ppm.
So far, preliminary results are promising. But creating optimal supersaturated oxygen solutions requires extreme precision. Oxygen can be damaging at very high levels, says Dixon , so it's important to establish application methods for using this technology for different crops.
But if the methods can be worked out, Dixon says the oxygen diffusers are inexpensive and stand to emerge as an economical, environmentally friendly solution for growers looking to enhance their crops.
“Greenhouse growers are voracious technical consumers – they'll try anything,” says Dixon . “But by the same token, they're also very shrewd business people, and they won't waste money unnecessarily.”
Dixon and Zheng will continue their research and will further investigate oxygen's effect on plant growth, physiology and disease. For example, they will inoculate greenhouse plants with specific microbes to see how the plants cope with this challenge under different oxygen levels.
Other researchers involved in this project include technician Linping Wang, graduate student Johanna Valentine and undergraduate student Mark Mallany, Department of Environmental Biology.
This research is being conducted at greenhouses in Guelph and Leamington , Ontario . It is sponsored by Seair Diffusion Systems Inc., Flowers Canada Ontario and the Fred Miller Rose Research Fund.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I think your going the wrong way with the temp thing, DS

An adequate oxygen concentration in root environment is necessary to ensure the functionality of the root system. Oxygen lack or deficiency (anoxia and hypoxia, respectively) reduce water and mineral uptake by the plant, with repercussions on root and shoot growth, and consequently on final crop yield. Asphyxiating conditions are likely to occur in hydroponic growing systems, where roots themselves gradually consume the oxygen dissolved in the nutrient solution. The quantity of dissolved oxygen in a solution depends upon salt concentration, atmospheric pressure and temperature, but in hydroponic systems, as the first two factors are not much changeable, it depends mainly on temperature, decreasing while that rises. Furthermore, the temperature of the nutrient medium influences directly the root respiration rate, contributing to oxygen depletion due to root consumption.

Dissolved Oxygen

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Im acutally in week 1 of flower I'm at currently at 65F water temp should bump it slowly to 72 or I can just raise it to 72 and keep it there with fluctuation?

I would think very hard about that, and for sure I would get a second opinion.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Oh here is that chart it should be helpful... It is charting the root to shoot ratio (often used in agronomy) at various soil temps....

View attachment 277512

You should know perfectly well that im not going to provide anything that isnt factually demonstrable. I apologize if these facts force you to question your own understanding of these issues.

I guess if we were in soil that would fly but were in water and that's a whole different ball game, after all this is the UC thread is it not, soil stuff goes in another thread.

Nice Try DS or quantum 9, your soil facts could destroy peoples hydroponic grows. I'm not looking to lock horns with you but why the hard ass with the name change? Bring back DS the nice guy.

Top Bottom