Water Chillers - What size is too big ?

• Thread starter GrowDoggy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowDoggy

GrowDoggy

Hey all
I am buying a water chiller but because there is stock issues from the suppliers I am having to look at buying a bigger size one then what I would think I need.
My system total is AT THE MOMENT 50Litres
But will be running at 100 - 200Litres in the future.
I cannot justify buying a TECO Italian manufactured
So im left with the Hailea range
I would ideally think that the 130A (1/15th HP) would he more then enough in size and power, my water is at 22°c - 23°c average sometimes climbs to 24°c for an hour or two in the middle of the day, so I don't need it to be working hard, it is only to maximise the time between water change outs by keeping the water at 21°c- 22°c all the time. I am maintaining this by putting frozen water bottles in my reservoir. But u want it to be completely sterile, and putting bottles in an out daily could introduce bacteria etc.
I should mention i am running two plants in a 2 pot + reservoir system. Its a custom TFRDWC. I will expand to a 4 pot plant site + reservoir next grow.
Thanks for your help

MrHydra

MrHydra

While your talking about chillers, does anyone know of a fully insulated hydroponic system?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I run a pair of active aqua 1/4HP, but they also make a 1/10

They work great, zero complaints after 3 years of use.

I also used to run sterile too, but I have been converted to run beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizae. I would look closely at the benefits to that system if you have not already.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
There is a good argument to be made that you're better off running the chiller in a separate closed loop in order to avoid passing pathogens along to successive grows. I have a 1/3 hp Arctica for my UC4XXL13 system (roughly 50 - 55 gallons) , with a stainless steel 25' * 1/2" wort chiller in the epicenter; a bit oversized but it means the chiller does not run as much and i can expand my system and still use the same chiller. Running it at 64° keeps my nutes between 66 - 68°.

patro46

patro46

I needed a 4 ton chiller to cool a 550 gallon reservoir.
So I built one using a 4 ton split system condenser, and home made indoor section. The only specialty part it took was an evaporator coil designed for a chiller....😎

Top Bottom