Water chilling questions and alternatives

• Thread starter Cashmeh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Will a small chiller work? Do you really need the big 300-500 dollar chillers? Im only trying to chill 40gal of water 3-4 degrees. I notice the big chillers are capeable of chilling the water far colder than what ill ever need. Im curious as to if something with a lower chilling capacity would work for what I need. I could understand if I needed 40-50 degree water buying a big chiller. As to just spending the money and buying whats best. . . . well if I did that I would build the grow room for a year and have no smoke. .aka buying shit. Anyways, I just want to know if buying a smaller chiller is reasonable and will work just as good. There are alot of horrible options out there for under 100 bucks. . and if it just gets me a few degrees thats perfect. I will buy a bigger one one day. . just cant afford everything I actually want just yet. . .its growing good without it, i just figured 100 chiller would help not hurt.

Then there is this method, be fun hooking up a pid loop between a thermocouple and pump drive. Still a cheaper method than buying one of them big chillers. I can bury that 10 feet deep right outside the grow room, and just get a bigger dwc pump lol.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I've got a couple of chillers, and what's nice is the set it and forget it part of the deal.

I always wondered if running top off water thru a coil in a refrigerator like the cold water that comes out of the door wold work for a couple of degrees. My plants drink about 8 gallons a day, so if topping off with 45* water perhaps it would get you a few degrees of cooling? I'm thinking a little dorm fridge with a long coil of polyethylene pipe in it right next to your res seems like it might work and be pretty cheap.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I've got a couple of chillers, and what's nice is the set it and forget it part of the deal.

I always wondered if running top off water thru a coil in a refrigerator like the cold water that comes out of the door wold work for a couple of degrees. My plants drink about 8 gallons a day, so if topping off with 45* water perhaps it would get you a few degrees of cooling? I'm thinking a little dorm fridge with a long coil of polyethylene pipe in it right next to your res seems like it might work and be pretty cheap.
Yea the fridge idea would work. . but if i went with a coil outside I wouldnt have any additional moving parts. I mean im ideally trying to replicate ground temp right? Im gonna study some on depth and flow rates through coils lol. I imagine a 100$ coil would work great. . i already got the plumbing crap lol. . whats ur thoughts on those small chillers? Enough to do a few degrees?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I have a pair of the 1/4 hp ones that are very effective in keeping my res temps at 68, 70, 72, whatever I set it at when without the temp climbs to about 78. I run a couple 4x8s with lots of light, especially in the HID tent. They work great and I don't have to think about it, which is nice. We have enough to worry about.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I have a pair of the 1/4 hp ones that are very effective in keeping my res temps at 68, 70, 72, whatever I set it at when without the temp climbs to about 78. I run a couple 4x8s with lots of light, especially in the HID tent. They work great and I don't have to think about it, which is nice. We have enough to worry about.
Yea I can pick up one of them for 300-500 depending brand and how long i wanna wait on shipping. Yet those are rated for 5x what I need. So im wondering if I can just buy one thats 1/5 the price lol. Did you check out those other 3 I posted? Under 100 bucks. . im contemplating trying one. I just am trying to stop spending money on this small grow. I am contemplating just cutting some foamboard around the top of the bucket and just removing my cool mist humidifier. This system just runs so warm. .it eats ice to fast for my liking too.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

There have been a few guys that have found some relief by putting that silver foam insulation you buy at Lowes across the top of the plants with a hole cut out for the stalks. Keeping the light off the buckets might help a little. I think they are like $12 for a 4x8 sheet and easy to cut to fit.

Im have not used the aquarium ones you linked too, but if 100W is enough for your amount of heat to move, I see no reason why they will not work.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Do you have a recirculating setup or individual buckets?

If your rdwc you will need a chiller. A tote setup you may have a chance

I use to run my ro into milk gallons n make ice n just have cold water available for big temperature swing days

It does not cut it. I’m either buy a 1/6 or 1/4hp chiller

If you can build something that will work, excellent, otherwise just buy one n move on

Latest posts

Top Bottom