Water Cloning In A Cup

• Thread starter 3N1GM4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Cut solo cups in half
Water cloning in a cup

Place top half of cut cup into other cups and fill with water just under the line

Tear off square of plastic wrap and place it over the half full cup and insert the top half of the cut cup making sure to leave some plastic wrap sticking out to give it a tight fit

Water cloning in a cup 2

Poke a hole in the middle of the plastic wrap with something and insert cuttings
Water cloning in a cup 3
Water cloning in a cup 4

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Sorry I didnt really make it beginner friendly.
You want to cut new green growth, not old woody stems
Cut the clone above a node with some sharp scissors
Use a fresh new razor blade that has been cleaned with alcohol (razors come with oil coating)
Lay your cutting on a paper plate and cut the tip of the stem where you cut with scissors at a 45° angle sliding the razor gently as you cut making sure not to smash the stem membranes

Place the cutting in the cups with the water and wait for a few weeks
Give them a little light, setting them near a window or far away from a veg light or under a cfl at a distance will do

When they grow roots, plant them

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

It is hard to see in the pics but there is lightly fertilized distilled water under the plastic wrap

Just make sure to check the water every few days and add to it if it gets low
If you make a clean enough cut and environmental conditions are ok you should have roots growing from the cut within two weeks

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I keep having trouble with cloning powder and gel, water has never let me down that I can remember.
Using the plastic wrap with just a small hole for the stem to go through keeps the water from evaporating so fast. Makes it less likely to be empty when you check it, and holds the cut
My cuts that are in media under a dome get neglected and die from lack of fresh air. This works much better for me because it is pretty much set it and forget it. Fresh air 24/7

Last edited:
L

LacesOutDan

I have some rock wool, could i just soak them in tap water (my tap water kinda sucks), cut some clones and dip them in honey put them in the bottom of the cup under the plastic wrap and make sure the cubes stay moist?

Everywhere I read say that honey works as well as gels, but this is my first attempt at cloning.

Also how big is too big for a cutting?

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I have never gotten one to root in rockwool, every time they turn to mush and fall over b4 the roots grow out. Maybe I keep the rockwool too wet?
Just dropping the cuts in a cup of water by a window or 4 or 5 feet from a flourescent lightbulb is the most failproof way I have found. I have 99% success rate with just putting the cuts in water so far. I have about an 80% failure rate with every other method so far.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Thanks homie, I haven't cloned but plant to in the future. I'm not bringing cuts from outside my tent into my grow ever. After seeing all the pest pposts in here got me scared lol

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Its been two weeks and I have roots. I lost one because the stem wasnt in the water but the rest look the same as when I cut them, most have roots, a few are just starting to get roots.
20160407 104040

None of the tips of the leaves died with this method.

ThcPhil

ThcPhil

Cut solo cups in half
View attachment 584799
Place top half of cut cup into other cups and fill with water just under the line

Tear off square of plastic wrap and place it over the half full cup and insert the top half of the cut cup making sure to leave some plastic wrap sticking out to give it a tight fit

View attachment 584800
Poke a hole in the middle of the plastic wrap with something and insert cuttings
View attachment 584801 View attachment 584802

Thanks never knew I could clone this way.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Great post, but I'm a little confused. I don't understand the purpose of cutting the cups in half. Or rather, let me ask you if I'm understanding correctly. You put the Saran Wrap over a cup that hasn't been cut in half, then kind of push the top half of a cup that HAS been cut in half to kind of hold the Saran Wrap there? Are you putting the clone in a cup that's been cut in half or one that hasnt been cut in half?

Also, I bet if you used a solution of aloe Vera powder and water, you could get roots faster. Just a thought... But yeah, I'm not following the cut-up cup part. Of course, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, either haha.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Great post, but I'm a little confused. I don't understand the purpose of cutting the cups in half. Or rather, let me ask you if I'm understanding correctly. You put the Saran Wrap over a cup that hasn't been cut in half, then kind of push the top half of a cup that HAS been cut in half to kind of hold the Saran Wrap there? Are you putting the clone in a cup that's been cut in half or one that hasnt been cut in half?

Also, I bet if you used a solution of aloe Vera powder and water, you could get roots faster. Just a thought... But yeah, I'm not following the cut-up cup part. Of course, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, either haha.

You are right, put the square of plastic wrap over the cup that is half full of water, then push the top half of the "cut in half cup" into the cup of water, wedging the plastic wrap at water level. Then when you poke a hole in the plastic wrap the top of the wrap will be dry with the water right below the surface of the tightly streched plastic wrap. This keeps the leaves dry, the cut part of the stem under water and keeps the water from evaporating so quickly.

You can accomplish the same thing by just placing the cut in a half full glass of water but you have to keep adding water because it evaporates and this holds the cuts suspended over the water with just the cut stem contacting the water.

Minitiger

Minitiger

You are right, put the square of plastic wrap over the cup that is half full of water, then push the top half of the "cut in half cup" into the cup of water, wedging the plastic wrap at water level. Then when you poke a hole in the plastic wrap the top of the wrap will be dry with the water right below the surface of the tightly streched plastic wrap. This keeps the leaves dry, the cut part of the stem under water and keeps the water from evaporating so quickly.

You can accomplish the same thing by just placing the cut in a half full glass of water but you have to keep adding water because it evaporates and this holds the cuts suspended over the water with just the cut stem contacting the water.

Sweet, thanks. Gonna be taking cuts from my current grow in about a month and don't really feel like doing the whole "Root Riots dome thing" (even though I have all that shit haha). This sounds easier. Or at least sounds like I don't have to pay as much attention to it.

I may do a little experiment using aloe in some of the cups and only water in the others. Do you use distilled water when you do this? RO water? Straight tap water? Just curious. Obviously haha.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Sweet, thanks. Gonna be taking cuts from my current grow in about a month and don't really feel like doing the whole "Root Riots dome thing" (even though I have all that shit haha). This sounds easier. Or at least sounds like I don't have to pay as much attention to it.

I may do a little experiment using aloe in some of the cups and only water in the others. Do you use distilled water when you do this? RO water? Straight tap water? Just curious. Obviously haha.

I just used distilled jug water with a light amount of cocotek nute fertilizer added, next time I will try willow or aloe maybe. I had 100% success this time with the ones that were touching water, I might just build a diy bubble cloner next time.

Minitiger

Minitiger

I just used distilled jug water with a light amount of cocotek nute fertilizer added, next time I will try willow or aloe maybe. I had 100% success this time with the ones that were touching water, I might just build a diy bubble cloner next time.

Okay, thanks. Again, great post. I'm definitely gonna try this out. I'd totally go with a bubbler, just cuz I've seen so many people have success with those with minimal effort. But my grow room and my "tv room" share the same fucking 20 amp circuit breaker, which means that every time I plug something else into my grow room, I have to worry about tripping the circuit. Super-annoying. This "cup method" at least eliminates the need for any more power being used to root some clones.

Thanks so much for this. Now all I gotta do is find a windowsill that I can set like 40 clones on.... Haha!

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

One 23 watt cfl at about 4 feet away works fine. I took a cardboard box that fits inside of a slightly larger cardboard box and cut a bunch of holes in the smaller box that the cups dont quite all the way fit into, holding them, but just at the bottom. Then you can move them around easily without moving them individually or worrying about them tipping.

N

Nog

When cloning in water, it's good to change the water daily, to give the plants new oxygenated water, instead of letting the water go stale.

You can also use a bubbler made for fish tanks to keep the water oxygenated.
I did this once, got a large plastic tray about 7 inches high and 2.5 foot long and filled it half full of water and put an aquarium bubbler in it and then the clones I got small squares of thin styrofoam and made a small hole in them and pushed the stem of the clone half way through and then put them in the tray of water.

The styrofoam squares float on top of the water with half of the clones stem in the water and the leaves above the water.

But the best method I have found is the small rockwool cubes, 4cm x 4cm.
A tip with them is after watering them, if they feel a bit heavy, then flick the cube so you get rid of excess water.
Don't squeeze them, that will destroy the fluffy air holding structure of them.

Top Bottom