Water every 8 to 10 days?

• Thread starter Yurfutur1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Yurfutur1

Yurfutur1

The soil amendment that I'm using holds water for extended periods of time. When I first begin with this potting mix, I will constantly over water because I had never had a plant that can go 10 days without water or 5 days without watering. One of my main hydroponic dealers has uses similar mix and he Waters every nine days he usually grows giant sativas. It was okay during vegetative stage because I was able to for your feed the plants when necessary. But doing flower I cannot do that. Is it normal or is it okay to have a soilless mix that only allows feeding every 8 to 10 days? Could I possibly need another moisture meter or a better meter. The last time I water these plants we're on the 4th of March. At that time I watered until runoff. These are the readings as of today, 9 days since the last watering.
I just don't understand how this could be possible.

Water every 8 to 10 days
Water every 8 to 10 days 2
Water every 8 to 10 days 3
Water every 8 to 10 days 4
BigCube

BigCube

When the plants get older they will need water more often. I use a very high porosity medium, and even it goes 4 or 5 days when the plants are that small.

What is the name of the mix? Or what are its parts?

Kepp89

Kepp89

i think the consensus is that if you have the environment and time to feed often, then you dont want it to hold water for long. more waters = more feed frequency and with a good environment that equals great healthy plants. but if you just want to grow bud easy going like, then soil holding water for days isnt a problem just need to make sure its dry when you water again like always.

also because you can water more often in soil that doesnt hold moisture long that means you can fix the soil quicker

Yurfutur1

Yurfutur1

i think the consensus is that if you have the environment and time to feed often, then you dont want it to hold water for long. more waters = more feed frequency and with a good environment that equals great healthy plants. but if you just want to grow bud easy going like, then soil holding water for days isnt a problem just need to make sure its dry when you water again like always.

also because you can water more often in soil that doesnt hold moisture long that means you can fix the soil quicker
I don't like this not been able to water makes me feel funny. Like who can go without water for 10 days I'd rather have the ability to feed often and watch and see which nutrient solutions they take best. do you have a specific brand that you recommend. At one time I was using Ocean Forest, but decided to use this opportunity as a chance to see if there are better or equivalent soils being sold at better rates I want to contact local companies that make their only mixes near this area, I mean if I have to drive 20-30 miles for it if it's a greater quality and a lower price. I wonder how I would go about that to find them. I found one about 20 minutes away from Austin last year in Georgetown Texas nice setup and I was going to buy some product from there but the inside has so many mosquitoes I mean we're getting bit they actually give you mosquito spray so you can continue shopping and then when I asked him about the dirt they start telling about this quality dirt they got and we go outside and it's like over there in mosquito hub I was like nah I'm good on the West Nile this year.

Yurfutur1

Yurfutur1

My tranplants take 7-10 days to dry out after watering them in. But about 2-4 days between for healthy mature plants. Longer means too much or too little nutrients available to the plant usually.
Exactly and I'm trying to try out a complete Flora series nutrisystem this time. I made some mistakes initially putting 5 ml well one of them was a rapid root. I thought it I said one ml to every gallon but it was like one to every 15 gallons of 5 gallons. That one little Miss print cause me to burn my plants but I learned a lesson an expensive one too cuz that stuff is the highest I think I bought. It was like $70 for quart or something like that.

NairnM16

NairnM16

I don't like this not been able to water makes me feel funny. Like who can go without water for 10 days I'd rather have the ability to feed often and watch and see which nutrient solutions they take best. do you have a specific brand that you recommend. At one time I was using Ocean Forest, but decided to use this opportunity as a chance to see if there are better or equivalent soils being sold at better rates I want to contact local companies that make their only mixes near this area, I mean if I have to drive 20-30 miles for it if it's a greater quality and a lower price. I wonder how I would go about that to find them. I found one about 20 minutes away from Austin last year in Georgetown Texas nice setup and I was going to buy some product from there but the inside has so many mosquitoes I mean we're getting bit they actually give you mosquito spray so you can continue shopping and then when I asked him about the dirt they start telling about this quality dirt they got and we go outside and it's like over there in mosquito hub I was like nah I'm good on the West Nile this year.
Do some research on coco I think this will save the anxiety of your plants health
Will mean more maintenance with daily to maybe even 2 feeds a day depending on plant health nd root mass

quirk

quirk

Since you're in Texas, Vortex is coming back with Ladybug potting soil and Medina Agriculture down Hondo way has
the best ferrt/nutes/supplements around. I'm biased, but they work well for me.

Kepp89

Kepp89

soil is here. its expensive though. http://millersoilsllc.com/products-old/reds-premium/ -- just email them on the right. its sold by 2 cubic feet only
perilite is here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V6WXEI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i added enough perilite to where any mixing of the container would show a lot of white. i just mixed it in a rubbermaid tote.

Yurfutur1

Yurfutur1

Do some research on coco I think this will save the anxiety of your plants health
Will mean more maintenance with daily to maybe even 2 feeds a day depending on plant health nd root mass
Wow 2 feedings a day. Sounds like hydro

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Watering is generally dictated by the plant, at least in my experience. I have gone weeks without watering using promix with seedlings and small plants, but once they get to 5 ft or more, especially sativas during later flowering, i need to water daily or face some seriously wilted plants... sometimes I need to put catch basins under them to give an extra source of water. In general, I think sativa strains use more water and usually grow bigger than indica strains. As long as the plants aren't thirsty, I wouldn't sweat it. Once they get bigger I'm sure they will increase their water usage.

Yurfutur1

Yurfutur1

That does make great sense. Because I have one plant I think the smallest one, no it is the smallest one. It was water now, but I've been waiting for the others to dry so I can watch them all at the same time. Which is today everybody gets water today.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That does make great sense. Because I have one plant I think the smallest one, no it is the smallest one. It was water now, but I've been waiting for the others to dry so I can watch them all at the same time. Which is today everybody gets water today.

Unless they are identical growing clones that is exactly how this problem starts. Cant water the different plants the same automatically. Some will need and some will not. Even from the same seed pack. Even from the same pair of clones sometimes.

ThisReckless

ThisReckless

Use coco, the air ratio is amazing and you’ll struggle keeping them wet while still having a soilless medium.

Yurfutur1

Yurfutur1

Is it coco, the air ratio is amazing and you’ll struggle keeping them wet while still having a soilless medium.
Is it totally Coco nothing else?
If so what's the brand name that you use so I can look it up online

ThisReckless

ThisReckless

Is it totally Coco nothing else?
If so what's the brand name that you use so I can look it up online

I use canna coco, it has trichoderma and I believe some other fungi. It is just pure coco coir, I use down to earth dry powder nutrients that has microbes and everything else besides calcium. For calcium I use oyster shell flour. Then I remove chlorine and filter my tap and just water the plant whenever it needs water. No PH required or flushing. If you need more for a plant then just add it on top of the coco of the plant and then put another layer of coco then it will slowly break down over a week or two depending on chlorine content of your water.

NairnM16

NairnM16

I use canna coco, it has trichoderma and I believe some other fungi. It is just pure coco coir, I use down to earth dry powder nutrients that has microbes and everything else besides calcium. For calcium I use oyster shell flour. Then I remove chlorine and filter my tap and just water the plant whenever it needs water. No PH required or flushing. If you need more for a plant then just add it on top of the coco of the plant and then put another layer of coco then it will slowly break down over a week or two depending on chlorine content of your water.
Would it not be better to ph to 6.0-6.5?
Maybe add 30-40% perlite too

ThisReckless

ThisReckless

Would it not be better to ph to 6.0-6.5?
Maybe add 30-40% perlite too

If you mean PHing the coco you can, usually if people get a coco brick (I don’t recommend) then they will expand it and then flush a couple times with PH’d water that way the coco is in the right PH spectrum. If you are going to use synthetic nutrients then yea you gotta PH even chemical although some adjust PH automatically like Floranova bloom (I used to use that through the whole growth cycle as it’s similar to Lucas formula).

6.0-6.5 is great, and you definitely can add perlite to coco for some sponge (coco is already airrated so I don’t use perlite), a better choice would be Canadian sphagnum though, I use it in my mixes so the bacteria’s have a place to hide and reproduce.

Top Bottom