Water hobo is here now

• Thread starter TryingToGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Hi there it’s the water hobo here. Just wanted to share what I had going and wondering if anyone does anything similar. I have an r/o but it sends a few gallons down the drain for every gallon I get and that’s not really my style, save it for drinking water.

so here is my water hobo ‘water cleaning’ setup, pretty sure this is in a 5 gallon nursery pot, maybe 2 gallons of leaves, the rest is city tap water. Mostly brown leaves down below
57C6A3C2-FEDB-4C30-8830-D4F94F9F8465.jpeg

the tap water, usually it will rise to 8.0pH in a day or so. Gonna leave this jar sitting near by as a ‘control’, to test later as well
ECC40C53-B0C4-4BD5-BCCD-37F2C69B0E20.jpeg

this is maybe 5 hours after setting up
9C07AC52-E4FB-4011-B340-D70BED171A57.jpeg

Anyone do anything similar?

What type of results do you expect?

How could this be improved (without putting much more energy into it and no buying stuff, I’m the water hobo)?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Thats pretty clever good job. Yes its true mother nature has the best way of doing things. I pitch water out of my fresh water aquarium for my plants. The nitrate cycle and healthy bacteria in the water help keep the water chemical free and it adds natural nitrates. However my PH stays elevated in the mid 7s because I have a cichlid tank stacked with broken rocks and concrete. Definitely adds hardness to the water good for cichlids not ideal for plants however my plants still do well. I think best way to do it would be to do a freshwater Discus tank that way you can keep the PH low I think I might do one in the future.

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Thats pretty clever good job. Yes its true mother nature has the best way of doing things. I pitch water out of my fresh water aquarium for my plants. The nitrate cycle and healthy bacteria in the water help keep the water chemical free and it adds natural nitrates. However my PH stays elevated in the mid 7s because I have a cichlid tank stacked with broken rocks and concrete. Definitely adds hardness to the water good for cichlids not ideal for plants however my plants still do well. I think best way to do it would be to do a freshwater Discus tank that way you can keep the PH low I think I might do one in the future.
Nice, like aquaponics. I had some convicts breed on me when I was a kid lol. That was a mess

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Update on the water test.

this is 1.5 days later, ec still the same or slightly higher. pH still will go up on this once I take it out but not sure how much yet, gonna check it in the morning. Gonna wait till 5.5 unless I figure out it not gonna rise past 6.0 over a few days at worst. Dropped right around 2 pH from normal tap now, normal tap for me is ~8.0 after sitting for a day.
D0256304 F1C2 4D3B 8E8C 3C5B1C80EF8F

Last edited:
T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Last update on this unless something exciting happens but I should report any rise that happens over a short period after removing the water from the leaves, I don’t have the last jar I was doing that with, so, I will do that now and report the rise after 24 hours at least.

I ran some through an old t shirt and sock and it’s ready for use. I water with sprayers now so can’t have much debris, outdoors I’d not worry about any debris.
D9D1A2C0 CC07 499C BA84 025E5720ABB0

Just got a jar, it's 5.5 pH now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom