Water In The Tane

• Thread starter DjangoNugs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DjangoNugs

So I'm pretty positive some water got in the line on the first run with our new CLS. Saw some bubbles come from the hose attachment on the condenser. It wasn't as tight as it needed to be. Needless to say it hasn't happened again but I noticed a slushy sound in the recovery tank and I think it is water that got in the system. It seems like the water is getting into the line and freezing/clogging up the flow of butane. I want to clean out the tank but we are unable to transfer the butane to empty the tank due to the water freezing it up the line. There's almost 20lbs of gas in there and we can transfer maybe a lb at a time if we're lucky. Anyone know how I can empty this tank without releasing into atmosphere? Does this even sound what the problem could be? Let me know if you need more info.

Graywolf

Graywolf

So I'm pretty positive some water got in the line on the first run with our new CLS. Saw some bubbles come from the hose attachment on the condenser. It wasn't as tight as it needed to be. Needless to say it hasn't happened again but I noticed a slushy sound in the recovery tank and I think it is water that got in the system. It seems like the water is getting into the line and freezing/clogging up the flow of butane. I want to clean out the tank but we are unable to transfer the butane to empty the tank due to the water freezing it up the line. There's almost 20lbs of gas in there and we can transfer maybe a lb at a time if we're lucky. Anyone know how I can empty this tank without releasing into atmosphere? Does this even sound what the problem could be? Let me know if you need more info.

Do this outside, in a well ventilated area.

Remove hoses from tank. Turn tank upside down and let it sit for 30 minutes. Briefly open the vapor valve to blow any collected water out. Close and reconnect tank.

D

DjangoNugs

Thanks pal...always coming in to save the day. We got a sieve filter now and things are nice on that point finally. Do y'all still use those sporlan c028s or have y'all created something of your own? And how can you tell when the sporlans are spent? Just had some stuff budder up randomly. Thinking that filter got overused. No problems after we changed it.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Thanks pal...always coming in to save the day. We got a sieve filter now and things are nice on that point finally. Do y'all still use those sporlan c028s or have y'all created something of your own? And how can you tell when the sporlans are spent? Just had some stuff budder up randomly. Thinking that filter got overused. No problems after we changed it.

We ended up building our own and using Sporland 48 inserts. We used a 6 X 12" sanitary spool for the case, and a dual element filter kit for Sporlands own dual 48 element filter.

One end uses a blank end cap, and the other gets a 3/8" 304SS Schedule 40 pipe coupling.

The intake is a 1/2" X ~6" 304SS nipple welded into the sanitary spool on a tangent, so that any liquid sucked up hits the side walls of the case, rather than direct impingement on the filter element.

We used LJ Star SSH clamps to meet the ASME pressure requirements for LPG.

Here's a picture of one on the front of a VaporHawg recovery pump.

VaporHawg
D

DjangoNugs

that vaporhawg looks pretty badass. Is the filter the smaller tube above the wider one with the pharmgold logo? How does welding the intake at a tangent help the filter?

2highdro

I know it's an old thread, but I'm trying to build one of these myself and I'm unsure of what the tangent does for the filtration as well. Thanks Graywolf!

Graywolf

Graywolf

I know it's an old thread, but I'm trying to build one of these myself and I'm unsure of what the tangent does for the filtration as well. Thanks Graywolf!
Having the intake on a tangent to the filter case spins any incoming liquid stream against the inside of the outer case, instead of directly impinging on the filter media.

D

dabarino

We ended up building our own and using Sporland 48 inserts. We used a 6 X 12" sanitary spool for the case, and a dual element filter kit for Sporlands own dual 48 element filter.

One end uses a blank end cap, and the other gets a 3/8" 304SS Schedule 40 pipe coupling.

The intake is a 1/2" X ~6" 304SS nipple welded into the sanitary spool on a tangent, so that any liquid sucked up hits the side walls of the case, rather than direct impingement on the filter element.

whats one those vapour hawgs worth @Graywolf

Graywolf

Graywolf

whats one those vapour hawgs worth @Graywolf
I'm told by owners that they are worth their weight in gold, but the manufacturer was Pharmgold, who went out of business, so they are no longer available unless someone picks up their IP.

They were a 2 HP V-twin 6 cfm pump, and retailed for $12K with built in filter drier.

D

dabarino

out of business eh, that makes sense as to why i could only find this bit of info on the pump.... .... to bad they went of business that pump looked like a brute! lol ;)

Graywolf

Graywolf

out of business eh, that makes sense as to why i could only find this bit of info on the pump.... .... to bad they went of business that pump looked like a brute! lol ;)
A beast for sure. About twice the output of even the CM EP OL 6000.

Based on a Welch pump, so maybe someone will pick up the IP or just build one of their own design around the pump.

M

Majic

A beast for sure. About twice the output of even the CM EP OL 6000.

Based on a Welch pump, so maybe someone will pick up the IP or just build one of their own design around the pump.

Who would I contact to discuss picking up the IP? sorry I haven't posted enough to DM it appears.
Thanks

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Hey man, that thing got a hemi?

Looks super bad ass. Like space shuttle bad ass!

Latest posts

Top Bottom