Water pump makes too much noise!

• Thread starter farmseeker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

farmseeker

Hello Farmers!

New guy here doing UC for the first time and just fired the whole system up yesterday! The grow room is located in a bad spot so noise is of concern. The entire room cannot be heard from the outside. the fans, the chiller, the dehu, the air pump, yada yada yada.... But when I have the water pump going you can hear it 50 ft away... It is like this one I have tried making a box, putting insulation around it and have the same problem. Can anyone suggest one that may be quieter? Right now I am goint to put the pump and chiller on a timer so it goes off when it quiets down outside and comes back on when things get noisy outside... There are air stones in each tank so it will become a DWC unit till it turns back on, but I would really like to run this thing 24/7 Tnaks for your time!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The circulation pump should run 24/7, I would not recomend putting a timer on the pump or chiller functions at all in fact I would definately not do that.

You pump should not be that loud when running full of water, the Pondmaster pump is louder in most cases, you may want to check your pump but it is a 1565gph pump which is giant, how many site UC do you have? that is enough for 40+ buckets. You have to watch with that much flow rate your chiller won't work very well either because the water will not be in the coils near as long as it is at the lower flow rates so it doesn't have to work as hard.

Tex

F

farmseeker

Thanks Texas Kid! It is a 8 site (DYI) 13 gallon plus epicenter.... 1 HP chiller...... How large of a pump should I have? Thanks in advance!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I read this yesterday, almost responded. I decided not to since I don't grow UC. But I have so much experience in large aquarium and commercial operations that I've learned a wee little bit about pumps. I looked at that pump you linked, and it's a piece of shit. TK is right, it should not be making that much noise, especially for an internal drive submerged pump.

I am going to recommend you go with a good brand like Eheim. I would go with something like their Compact pump, which has an adjustable output/flow, can be used as either a submerged or external device, the 5000 model can pump to something like NINE FOOT HEAD (almost 10' head, fucking impressive!), and is made by Eheim. About all the best equipment I've ever used (for hobby scale) is Eheim. Other than that, Little Giant and Iwaki are the brands you'll see most often at public aquariums and the like.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Im runnin a 500gph on my 8 site setup

Tex

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
That's the same piece of shit pump Ez-Clone is selling with their systems now, it's louder than the neighbors Harley !!!! Like a lawn mower........

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
my 8 site 8xl uses a 500 gph pump

you could go with slightly larger with the 13 gal buckets

but that 1500 gph is way overkill and will end up sucking your roots into the pvc and eventually the pump itself

and like TK said do not put the puimp on a timer man - your asking for trouble

j wizzle

j wizzle

damn...am i the only one who overkills everything? i have a 1050GPH inline on a 3 site 27 gal UC going full blast....i never have root issues. i use hygrozyme in RDWC too and never get the brown slime either...what the hell??

E

EvilGenius

damn...am i the only one who overkills everything? i have a 1050GPH inline on a 3 site 27 gal UC going full blast....i never have root issues. i use hygrozyme in RDWC too and never get the brown slime either...what the hell??

Lol.. dont feel bad, i was a few clicks away from ordering a 1900gph pump for my 10gal 6site UC im building.. talk about overkill.. glad i read this thread though some good info here.. appreciate the info fellas!

G

Greencandyman

Everyone here is right. Way oversize, but I also do not grow that way. I have had large aquariums and large systems when I was an engineer. I use Iwakis and have a little giant in the closet. Even really large mag drives, like most submersibles, are very quiet. If it is oversized, tee off the discharge (if pumping from a sump, I assume) and return to the sump. You can dial in the right flow that way, and aireate the sump nicely.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do UC/RDWC people use sumps...? My husband and I met in a sump. :makeup

NuggetPawn

NuggetPawn

Very old thread but thought I’d chip in if anyone comes across this, but I found that the pumps got noisy when my airstones were on, I think air getting trapped in the pump makes it noisy. I moved my stones a bit further away and it stopped.

Top Bottom