Water to a garage during winter?

• Thread starter iscrog4food
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I have a freestanding garage which has a frost resistant spigot just outside of the door. I would like to hook up an RO somehow because I am on a well and I am having issues with some type of minerals in the water. Is there some way I can manage this without relocating the spigot to be inside of the garage (Which likely would not completely solve the issue because on really cold days the garage can get down below freezing). I live in Colorado so it gets really cold during the winter months. I was thinking of locating the RO inside of the house and running a hose to the garage but I would like to avoid that if possible due to the extra work of pumping the water to the garage every other day or so. Also I obviously do not want to damage the pipe on the spigot from letting it freeze. Anyone have any experience with this?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Our garage is attached, but I still prefer to have my RO/DI in the house because it won't operate properly if it's too hot or cold. I just ran a quarter inch line to trash cans in the basement with inline valves to turn off and on. I should have a proper float valve shut-off installed, it would prevent overflowing accidents.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Put a 50-100 gal res in the garage and do as sea says,1/4'' line to a float valve.You can plumb a bigger line but really not neccesary with the float valve topping the res off.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

but if I do that the 1/4 inch line would freeze . I would have to literally put a res in my attached garage and pump water into the freestanding garage periodically but pick up the hose in between. I don't have many neighbors but someone is bound to see me always watering my garage.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Then I would figure out a way to keep the unit and lines going in/out sufficiently warm. You're right, it looks weird having quarter-inch line running through odd areas. I 'stapled' mine to look more like cable, but I can't say I'm happy with my solution.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I have been looking at heated horse waterers but I just dont see how I could make that work without relocating the spigot. Dammit it is always something!

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I have also considered heated tape to wrap around the spigot but from what sea says the RO wont work at cold temps?

shawnskush

shawnskush

you could bury the line a couple inches deep in any areas that are open ground helps with temps and visibility

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
if the water is constantly flowing you wont have to worry about freezing pipes..Im plumbing RO water in 30 deg temps at times>>Im using the Merlin along with a Tall Blue for a pre filter and it works fine in freezing temps.
However when you are done using your unit>>> its important to get the water out of the lines and filters or it will freeze<<<

gtd

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I'd move the the shit, man. It will save you so much hassle in the future. do it right and you never have to do it again. :)
Normally I would agree but I am renting so I think the Owner may say something if I moved it. I dont see a problem with adding a faucet inside but I have no idea how much that would cost!

However when you are done using your unit>>> its important to get the water out of the lines and filters or it will freeze<<<

gtd[/quote]
I was thinking of this too but it really gets cold here but possibly if I heat wrap the hose that is outside I could be ok. I just dont want to break a pipe. I guess if I do break a pipe though I can just pay the plumber to replace the pipe and do the install.

you could bury the line a couple inches deep in any areas that are open ground helps with temps and visibility
I cant really though because I have a concrete pad surrounding my entire house. Dammit I thought for sure someone would show me a product I have never heard of that was created just for this haha.

orbad

orbad

Is it a garden cock, freestanding, or a hose bib coming out of the wall. If garden cock, what keeps it from freezing now? Can you add a T and poke one side into the garage and leave the other going to the yard?

Any pics may help too.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I have one of these:
It is about 2.5 feet from my garage but I dont know how far into the ground it runs.

orbad

orbad

You could take off the valve, add a t facing towards the garage and run a pipe through the wall into the garage with a hose bib on the inside of the garage. Insulate the pipes the same way the one is outside that doesn't freeze now.

Edit to add: pay the extra couple bucks for the ball valve hose bib on the inside, they don't leak at all. Total cost is probably under $30 with insulation.

You could always patch the holes before you move out.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Ok so the current hydrant has no insulation and I am assuming it doesn't freeze is because the water drains back down when turned off. Thank you for the advice I appreciate it. I definitely didn't know you could just take the top off. I am wondering if heat tape would work and how far down into the ground I would have to go with the insulation. I saw the instructions for horse waterers which say surround the pipe with 8 inch pvc to the depth of 80 inches but there is no way I am trying to do all that. hmmm.

sky high

sky high

Not sure where you're at bro.... but most water lines will be buried 4-8 ft deep. in Colorado. And yer correct, that spigot definitely drains back down to keep the pipe from freezing. I'm not sure about taking the top off. Pretty sure there's a rod inside that activates the valve below. Either way...it isn't like a supply line and I don't know if there's much you can do with it mid-winter.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Not sure where you're at bro.... but most water lines will be buried 4-8 ft deep. in Colorado. And yer correct, that spigot definitely drains back down to keep the pipe from freezing. I'm not sure about taking the top off. Pretty sure there's a rod inside that activates the valve below. Either way...it isn't like a supply line and I don't know if there's much you can do with it mid-winter.

Damn well I gotta figure out something because these girls are not looking very healthy. I guess I will just get 100 gallon tank for the RO and pump it into 2 50 gallons in the garage at least until after the last frost. Then Ill get someone to install one next grow before winter it guess.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

You can buy heated pipes at Homer depot and you can buy heat wrap for pipes there also. Or ^^^^ do it in the house and run hose to garage and pump when done roll hose up.

To put it in the ground you need to dig down below the frost line and install a below ground faucet.

honestcharlie

honestcharlie

You can put heat tape on the frost free hydrant no worries but plastic pipe can melt. Best idea I have is to put a tee on the hydrant run a garden hose inside to another tee then the ro unit. When not in use close the hydrant and open the tees to let air in water out. Worst case the garden hose freezes and you take it inside. Don't stop the hydrant full of water and let it freeze.

Can you hook up a garden hose tee to the back of the washing machine or the bottom of your pressure tank?

Latest posts

Top Bottom