Water?

• Thread starter Djdanko23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Djdanko23

Djdanko23

My commercial grow friend that is helping me with my first home grow is very persistent that we don't use my tap water.

Currently I have been using a zero water filter to fill gallon jugs but this is way too time consuming. It takes so long to fill the tank and let it filter, just to have to do it again for every gallon.

I'm currently growing 3 plants and they are about to 1 gallon a day which I just can't keep up with.

How do you get large quantities of clean water once your plants start demanding a lot? I may start buying more but is hate to create all that waste? Money is tight right now but open to options or suggestions for my next grow.

Tap is about 265+ ppm and around 7-7.5 ph

Chlorine . 9-1ppm

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
That tap water is fine. I've grown big with worse water and a hard water fertilizer. I would start to worry about pH and carbonates in the water at 0.8 EC with most retail fertilizer brands.

If you are still worried, you could always put in an RO unit off Ebay.

Djdanko23

Djdanko23

That tap water is fine. I've grown big with worse water and a hard water fertilizer. I would start to worry about pH and carbonates in the water at 0.8 EC with most retail fertilizer brands.

If you are still worried, you could always put in an RO unit off Ebay.
Thanks for the info. I'm using salts. Masterbeld, Epsom and cal nitrate as my fert.

ru knuts

ru knuts

My tap water is 233 ppm, but my problem was ph'ing the hard water. I had to use way to much pH down. I purchased an aquarium RO system that has paid for itself several time over vs what I would have paid to purchase PH down alone.

quirk

quirk

My commercial grow friend that is helping me with my first home grow is very persistent that we don't use my tap water.

Currently I have been using a zero water filter to fill gallon jugs but this is way too time consuming. It takes so long to fill the tank and let it filter, just to have to do it again for every gallon.

I'm currently growing 3 plants and they are about to 1 gallon a day which I just can't keep up with.

How do you get large quantities of clean water once your plants start demanding a lot? I may start buying more but is hate to create all that waste? Money is tight right now but open to options or suggestions for my next grow.

Tap is about 265+ ppm and around 7-7.5 ph

Chlorine . 9-1ppm

I went through the same scenario with the zero fliter water pitcher and it got
old fast. My city water is 285ppm and 8.2ph. I use 1/8th teaspoon/gal of these
crystals to decrease and stabilize at 6.3-6.5.

DSCN2578
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
i would stick with the RO water or what your buddy told you. i'm in the process of getting a RO system together for this very reason. what tends to happens is the salts from the tap water build up in the growing medium, choking the roots if you will. so it starts slow and builds over the growth cycle generally showing it's true ugly power at the end of your grow.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would try the source water and if it raises ph over time mix it half and half with the filtered water. Should be good there. And 1 ppm of chlorine is actually usable by the plant. I believe 3 ppm is ok.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have grown for decades using the tap water ~275 PPM, Ph 7.1 and have never had any problems at all. The minerals will help to prevent deficiencies and the Ph of your water should balance out the acidity of your salts. I don't think you will see any problems, maybe even improve things with plenty of calcium and magnesium.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
I have grown for decades using the tap water ~275 PPM, Ph 7.1 and have never had any problems at all. The minerals will help to prevent deficiencies and the Ph of your water should balance out the acidity of your salts. I don't think you will see any problems, maybe even improve things with plenty of calcium and magnesium.

This. I love how growers use RO water and then waste money on bottled Cal-Mag.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
If I knew the 233 ppm's in my well water were mostly calcium and magnesium, I'd be using it. I had my well tested in the 90's and it was mostly iron. That's why I use RO water.

I guess that's fair. When I put together nutes from scratch, I go for about 2.5 ppm iron.

When we brew beer, depending on the water quality, we sometimes add calcium and magnesium carbonate for a clean crisp flavor. The minerals are why Coors has a "taste of the Rockies".

Djdanko23

Djdanko23

Here is my water report if anyone could tell me what they think.

Screenshot 20200320 194548
Top Bottom