Watering 5 gallon bucket please help

• Thread starter GDC5221
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GDC5221

GDC5221

Hi I am curious how much water I should be giving my plant. It’s in a 5 gallon bucket and I’ve been giving her 2 litres of water every 4 days, just wondering if I am doing it right. Also just switched to 12/12 and top dressed with Gaia Green

Watering 5 gallon bucket please help
GDC5221

GDC5221

Just curious because Someone also told me that the bottom roots probably aren’t getting enough water and I should be giving about 4 litres per watering in the 5 gal. Anyone have ideas

Madmax

Madmax

Yes you will need to run more through cause you will eventually get salt buildup and it will take lots and lots of reduced nutes to get the ppm back down..they look good atm..i would get a piece of mesh or pot stand so the runoff (salts) doesnt get sucked back up into the media..i better ask what media are you using because im referring to using coco/perlite.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Hi I am curious how much water I should be giving my plant. It’s in a 5 gallon bucket and I’ve been giving her 2 litres of water every 4 days, just wondering if I am doing it right. Also just switched to 12/12 and top dressed with Gaia Green
We if you switched to flower you better ramp up the waterings. 5 gal pot depending on size of the plant of course I would say about 3/4-1gal of water every other day. That’s usually where I’m at with watering. Another trick I used was measuring my water and also writing notes as to when I watered. You will begin to see a pattern and will know automatically that ok I need to water again in 48 hours. One thing I would like to add is I’m in fabric pots so it’s harder to over water. Maybe slowly water just until you see a bit of runoff. You can even take it a step further which I do in the early stages and that’s weigh my whole pot with just soil in it to know the dry weight. Then after watering weigh it again. For example a 2 gal pot with just a tiny plant watered in is about 28-30,000 grams. Dry weight is around 20,000 g so when she’s at like 23,000g I water again. That last bit might have gotten confusing but I hope this helps. Plant looks super healthy. Ok lunch is over gotta go ✌️

Madmax

Madmax

Sorry bro ive never used ff ..i will let the others answer that for you ...

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Just curious because Someone also told me that the bottom roots probably aren’t getting enough water and I should be giving about 4 litres per watering in the 5 gal. Anyone have ideas
You would be surprised to see how dry the middle/bottom of the pot can be. I’ve done this before and one way to help is using a wetting agent like yucca extract.

CactusJack1

CactusJack1

Supporter
I use 7 gallon fabric pots and add about 2.5 litres of water every 3 to 4 days. Im in soil and never water to run off using dry organic ferts.

GDC5221

GDC5221

Sounds good, I was using organic Alaska fish fertilizer to start out with, I started watching mr Canucks grow on YouTube and bought Gaia green dry amendments, so I guess watering with runoff applies to bottle nutes?

sambapati

sambapati

One suggestion would be to slow down...water...sit down smoke a fattie...wait ten minutes...slowly water more...read a few pages of a book. Start from all around the side and then work toward the center. Don't rush...take a break....then go back. Watched a lot of watering videos and read a lot...it seems like this advice was given the most....It isn't necessarily the volume of water poured over the plant....put the timing of that watering and allowing the plant to soak up the moisture. Yucca also helpful....I had my water gauge on a plant outside and I was amazed how much water in a 3 gallon pot it took to raise the gauge from dry to 'moist'.....

Top Bottom