Watering a brand new seedling in coco - HELP PLEASE

• Thread starter MrBlobby85
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MrBlobby85

Okay so I’ve just started my first grow ever and I’ve severely stunted my autos and I’m guessing it’s by overwatering them and watering too often.

I’ve been watering 20ml out of a syringe around the base of the plant however I’ve been watering quite often as it seems to be drying out quite quickly. i heard you’re meant to water coco to run off but surely with the plants being so small it’ll take ages to be dry enough to water again.

So question is how much and how often should I water a brand new seed that’s just had it’s first set of proper leaves. they are in 12L fabric pots with 100% coco.

Any help at all will be massive as I’m pretty gutted they’ve stopped growing and really don’t want to make the same mistake again. thanks

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I start my seeds in their final container as well. Once the seedling is planted in the wet medium, I water a very small amount around the seedling for the first 2 days, but only to keep the seedling from totally drying out. You don't need the light too close for the first few days, increasing it's intensity as it grows. I don't water after the first day or two and let the growing root follow the moisture in your container, which will slowly dry from the top down. Once the roots reach the bottom, you can water daily or as needed. This is usually after about month in a 5 gallon bucket. The roots will grow quickly to keep up with the water.

M

MrBlobby85

I start my seeds in their final container as well. Once the seedling is planted in the wet medium, I water a very small amount around the seedling for the first 2 days, but only to keep the seedling from totally drying out. You don't need the light too close for the first few days, increasing it's intensity as it grows. I don't water after the first day or two and let the growing root follow the moisture in your container, which will slowly dry from the top down. Once the roots reach the bottom, you can water daily or as needed. This is usually after about month in a 5 gallon bucket. The roots will grow quickly to keep up with the water.

Thanks for getting back to me, i think my problem was i planted the seed directly into the coco and didn’t give my coco a good water before planting it, that and definitely over watering things by the looks of it.

me being the stupid arse i am I’ve actually planted a seed last night directly in the coco, again without watering it thoroughly, it is still possible for me to saturate the coco but only going around the seed that I’ve planted without doing it any harm?

Enforcer

Enforcer

Just canna Rhizotonic at the moment. should be giving the canna a/b but at a lower dose?

Yes. Begin feeding immediately in straight coco/perlite. Just a few hundred ppm is fine until you start daily feedings to runoff. Until then do as @Jimster suggested and only water a small circle around the seedling.

M

MrBlobby85

Yes. Begin feeding immediately in straight coco/perlite. Just a few hundred ppm is fine until you start daily feedings to runoff. Until then do as @Jimster suggested and only water a small circle around the seedling.

Thank you so much to both you and Jimster, I’m feeling so much more confident going into my next attempt. thanks again mate, really is appreciated.

BigCube

BigCube

I agree with @m8ty start it I a much smaller cup. I cracked 2 gelato seeds the other day, paper towel ina bag etc. Put them in the coco, soaked it fully, and havent watered it again yet, it's been about 5 days. 1 has roots coming out the bottom of the solo cup. From there just water them when they are almost bone dry. Cannabis likes that.

If 1 is a solo cup of dry dirt and 10 is a solo cup of fully soaked dirt. I water at 1 or 2, and water it till it's at 10.

Top Bottom