Watering plants grown in soil

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

My plants are in Happy Froggie soil inside a well ventilated GH. I am just using straight wellwater for now. with a pH of 6.5

How often should one water? I usually wait until the top of the soil is crusty and then give then a good dousing. I''ll also stick my finger down and if its dry 3 inches down I water them. Once in a while i give them a light sprinkle.

Is this best? I read here that overwatering can cause root problems.

M

mrbong73

It's true. Overwatering is one of the worst things you can do.
Pots or in the ground?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The only problem I have with the crusty method is that, once so crusty, the water has a difficult time with penetration. A few drops of a surfactant can help that, but I'd rather just water more lightly a little more frequently.

Blaze

Blaze

With the crusty method you are also drying out the top three inches of soil, which is where all the feeder roots and a lot of the beneficial organisms like to hang out. All the magic happens in those top six inches of the soil for the most part, so you need to keep it wet. Smaller, more frequent waterings and the use of mulch will help a lot and give you better growth, but you will have to watch your soil closely to dial in how much water to use.

Top Bottom