Watering problem in Coco Coir

• Thread starter panchomannnen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
panchomannnen

panchomannnen

Hi!

I've been reading that in coco you have to water it frequently like 1-2 times a day and always until you get a run off of 10-15% water otherwise it will get nutrient build ups.
And I'm wondering if it's really true because when I've watered them that way last 2 times and they got the overwatering symptoms like tilting leaves.

Also, if I'm gonna water them daily, should I have the nutrient solution on max dose? Feels a bit scary since I've had some nutrient burns in the past....

I am a newbie and this is the third round I'm doing and second round with coco.
At the moment I have 2 North Thunderfuck in 11L and 8L fabric pots. 2 Honey Cream in 11L and 8L fabric pots which showed these symptoms. (specially the Honey Creams) And some smaller plants in smaller pots which haven't showed any symptoms.

I'm using Optic 1 COB light in a 120x120x200cm grow tent. Nutrients are Sensi Coco Grow and B-52 from advanced nutrients. The coco is mixed with 30% perlite.
Also the the 2 North Thunderfucks are showing some leaves that are curling up on the edge. Which I cannot really identify the reason. And I'm worried that it will get worse.
The temperature is 22-24c and humidity is around 60%. At the moment I do not have intake or outtake ventilation but only a table fan that is doing the air circulation. Can it be anything? Or is it also the overwatering symptom? The light doesn't seem too strong on them neither so I don't think its a heat stress but more of watering/humidity/temperature problem....

Watering problem in coco coir
Watering problem in coco coir 2
Watering problem in coco coir 3
Watering problem in coco coir 4
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you cant over water coco mate the whole idea with coco is to exchange air and nutes reg,that what makes the explosion of growth,the cation exchange.
what ec or ppm are you feeding at?were your at on stage of growth 300 to 400 ppm would be ideal
what ph? i have best luck with 6.0 ph
far as heat,all i know is imperial system so 24 i have no clue what that is,in veg like you are you could go as high as 85 and have no issues,your leaves are showing heat stress or the light one or other you also need plenty of air movement

Roadblock

Roadblock

You most definitely can over water it, in the beginning you want to let it get fairly dry between waters it will develop more roots, if its saturated all the time the roots system will not flourish in the same way as wet dry cycle, as the plant grows you feed it more often pretty soon they are drying the pot out where you need multiple feeds a day but not in the beginning, lift the pot and feel the weight if its heavy dont water it, some pots will hold more water than others which is another reason why you need to balance the wet and drier cycle when you do water get good run off , if a pot holds a lot of water and its been a few days and its still heavy just run a litre or so to get air exchange, the plant will take of soon enough when it hits that zone where its established and in balance, its here where you can water log them slowing explosive growth you get when the bottom end is right.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I would recommend you do a lot of research and find someone that is actually growing in coco as a hydroponic medium to ask for advice. Because you’ll get a lot of people posting advice to treat coco like soil. That will not work using coco/perlite and will lockout and/or burn the plant.

I will offer that when doing multiple daily feeds in coco/perlite, you want to use a reduced strength nutrient solution. Depending on the nutrient needs of a particular cultivar, I’ll start at a TDS of 400ppm and increase as the plant grows.

LiftedLabs

LiftedLabs

Hi!

I've been reading that in coco you have to water it frequently like 1-2 times a day and always until you get a run off of 10-15% water otherwise it will get nutrient build ups.
And I'm wondering if it's really true because when I've watered them that way last 2 times and they got the overwatering symptoms like tilting leaves.

Also, if I'm gonna water them daily, should I have the nutrient solution on max dose? Feels a bit scary since I've had some nutrient burns in the past....

I am a newbie and this is the third round I'm doing and second round with coco.
At the moment I have 2 North Thunderfuck in 11L and 8L fabric pots. 2 Honey Cream in 11L and 8L fabric pots which showed these symptoms. (specially the Honey Creams) And some smaller plants in smaller pots which haven't showed any symptoms.

I'm using Optic 1 COB light in a 120x120x200cm grow tent. Nutrients are Sensi Coco Grow and B-52 from advanced nutrients. The coco is mixed with 30% perlite.
Also the the 2 North Thunderfucks are showing some leaves that are curling up on the edge. Which I cannot really identify the reason. And I'm worried that it will get worse.
The temperature is 22-24c and humidity is around 60%. At the moment I do not have intake or outtake ventilation but only a table fan that is doing the air circulation. Can it be anything? Or is it also the overwatering symptom? The light doesn't seem too strong on them neither so I don't think its a heat stress but more of watering/humidity/temperature problem....
Been a coco guy for 5 years now, I followed the same guide you did about watering twice a day and always keeping it saturated because most of my peers would offer that same advice but what I personally started finding out was you have to gradually work your feedings up, and by that I mean for example, (also I start from clone) each plant in 3 gallon pots, when I transplant I fully saturate the coco until I get a good amount of run off usually with my water at 5.8 ph and 1.1 EC, give it about a two day dry down, then I feed every other day, 1000 ml of water an hour after lights on and another 1000 hour before lights out keeping my ph and EC the same for that week, week 2 I go up to 1500 ml of water twice a day keep my ph at 5.8 but now raise my EC to 1.4, week 3 2000 ml of water twice a day 5.8 ph and 1.7 EC, week 4 my last week of veg I feed the same volume of water with a 5.8 PH and go to 2.0 EC to cap things off there, My flower schedule is similar just with adjustment on volume, ph and EC by each week, also if you have a chance look up a little info on crop steering kinda helped me out with more info on my own little routine here @Roadblock has a great point with dry down guide your plants roots to look for that right amount of moisture, sometimes an abundance of food and water can make them lazy and not wanna be as efficient as possible! Water slowly and evenly every time and find the right irrigation method that will work for you, but don’t treat coco like soil and just water and walk away for a few days usually that doesn’t ever go well! Hope I actually helped a bit and not just babbled on, Cheers Fam✌🏽🚀

savagenovelties

savagenovelties

Supporter
Just a piece of advice. Try bottom feeding
Plant uptakes what it needs and nothing is wet on top for bugs to lay eggs in. I’ve been in coco for over 15 years, canna to be exact and wouldn’t go back to hydro for anything

D1C6E1C9 3A26 4740 AEDE B8B1F6A3CE5A
704CF3A6 B9B3 443B A01D 6DE328DA8910
panchomannnen

panchomannnen

This might help if you want something to read
Thanks! This one helped a lot :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom