Watering the good the bad & the ugly

• Thread starter 1Islandguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1Islandguy

1Islandguy

Last grow season at the start i had watering isues under advice from soposed pro growers i watered small amounts often bad bad bad advice in the end what worked for me is i watered half the volume of the pot and not again till the pot was light my plants loved it. Now on to rhis years grow i water the same but i wonder if i could save my runoff measure the nute content readjust it and use it for my next watering?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Media? There is a lot that will affect watering practices.

Mainly Temps, pot material, pot height/width, the media used and drainage it has.

A short wide pot is far more prone to overwatering than a tall skinny one.

I'm thinking of doing a write on this subject to help growers understand why they are seeing what they do and the factors that contribute to it so they can select not only a suitable media but also container size and dimensions.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Serilized soil 35- 40 % perlite nothin organic added
Yeah good wet dry cycle. You can saturate it to start then water to keep 30-60% moisture but need to be very careful on the frequency and amounts. It's easier to water fully and do a dry cycle.

Look into perched water table and it will help you understand how the media and container size had a huge effect on this.

This is why ppl have such different results. Add all the variables in like temp and transpiration etc added to that and you can easily see there is no one right answer and having an understanding of all the moving parts will really help you understand the watering practices that will suit ya best.

Depending how busy work is tonight maybe I will start a thread on it to sticky and have other add to

Progshim

Progshim

Yeah good wet dry cycle. You can saturate it to start then water to keep 30-60% moisture but need to be very careful on the frequency and amounts. It's easier to water fully and do a dry cycle.

Look into perched water table and it will help you understand how the media and container size had a huge effect on this.

This is why ppl have such different results. Add all the variables in like temp and transpiration etc added to that and you can easily see there is no one right answer and having an understanding of all the moving parts will really help you understand the watering practices that will suit ya best.

Depending how busy work is tonight maybe I will start a thread on it to sticky and have other add to
I have some questions about watering too. I understand what you mean about all the moving parts, but IMO a sticky would be a great place for new growers like me to start. And with a name like Aqua Man, you almost have to do it. šŸ˜

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have some questions about watering too. I understand what you mean about all the moving parts, but IMO a sticky would be a great place for new growers like me to start. And with a name like Aqua Man, you almost have to do it. šŸ˜
Yes I will work on it tonight... its gonna be a long ass read I'm thinking with so much to cover but hopefully I finish in the next few days... I'll need to brush up on some terns and stuff to explain it properly and thoroughly. It's one thing to understand something but a whole nother to explain it in an easy to read and understandable format.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Started post here still in the works.

1Islandguy

1Islandguy

Awesome read glad i posibly influenced you to write it as the plant cant verbably tell us what works
This post will defintly help all growers especialy new growers in my book its a must read cudos Aqua Man well done

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for lifešŸŒ±
Supporter
Truly, the most important part of learning to grow, Is learning proper watering practices for whatever media chosen.
The majority of threads in the infirmary are results of poor watering practices. solid advice thread AMan.šŸ‘Š

Last edited:
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

One of the worst pieces of advice is ā€œnever let the root zone dry out.ā€ Obviously totally dry for an extended period is not good. But what we consider dry by weight Iā€™ve discovered from dumping instead of watering is far from dry.

Instead it is best to water properly with an adequate volume of water to allow all the medium to be wet. I use bamboo skewers and pierce my Pro Mix based mix all the way to the bottom of the bag. I tear it up including under the plant. Especially under the plant. This helps assure the liquid is fairly evenly dispersed as you give it. Donā€™t count on it seeping over because it wonā€™t.

This does not hurt roots at all. Donā€™t be a knob if you feel the main fat roots. Just let it slide over it and keep going down.

Progshim

Progshim

One of the worst pieces of advice is ā€œnever let the root zone dry out.ā€ Obviously totally dry for an extended period is not good. But what we consider dry by weight Iā€™ve discovered from dumping instead of watering is far from dry.

Instead it is best to water properly with an adequate volume of water to allow all the medium to be wet. I use bamboo skewers and pierce my Pro Mix based mix all the way to the bottom of the bag. I tear it up including under the plant. Especially under the plant. This helps assure the liquid is fairly evenly dispersed as you give it. Donā€™t count on it seeping over because it wonā€™t.

This does not hurt roots at all. Donā€™t be a knob if you feel the main fat roots. Just let it slide over it and keep going down.
Thanks for saying so. I've been doing this but was afraid it was wrong.

Top Bottom