Watering with ROCKWOOL

• Thread starter dankemhunter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankemhunter

dankemhunter

So this is my first time using this media. It is called FWOK, which is made up of bulk rockwool and foam cubes (to hold oxygen). I just transplanted out of 1/2 gallon pots in to 3 gallon pots. Plants were drinking once a day. They would be significantly lighter the next morning.

I transplanted these 3 days ago, and they were getting light today so I fed them. At this point should I be watering once a day to keep fresh nutes and oxygen in their system, or let them get significantly more dry and then feed them?

I see a lot of people watering once a day or more from rooted clone.

Fwok gg4 week 5 3
Fwok gg4 week 5 2

O

organiclover

consider using smaller pots and if you do use big ones transplanting a week later - with smaller pots you can water more frequently and rockwool doesn't need large pots... have you ever seen huge rockwool tomato plants in a greenhouse ?
the real way to figure out when to water is to weigh the pot when saturated and then water again when 50% of the weight has dropped ... should take into account weight of empty pot and dry media

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Plants look healthy !! :D Keep up the good job!

S

Seed Buyer

They look great. Remember water is the vehicle by which the plant uses to absorb minerals from the medium. So if the medium gets too dry the plants can not trans locate nutrients. I would keep the medium semi moist to maintain properer EC levels in the root zone. Maybe water when the pot is half dry.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

So this is my first time using this media. It is called FWOK, which is made up of bulk rockwool and foam cubes (to hold oxygen). I just transplanted out of 1/2 gallon pots in to 3 gallon pots. Plants were drinking once a day. They would be significantly lighter the next morning.

I transplanted these 3 days ago, and they were getting light today so I fed them. At this point should I be watering once a day to keep fresh nutes and oxygen in their system, or let them get significantly more dry and then feed them?

I see a lot of people watering once a day or more from rooted clone.

View attachment 450109 View attachment 450110
organiclover nailed it.on a transplant with the wool,i have found it better to dry them a bit more than 50% after that first watering. it will drive more new roots into the new space and ensure you don't over water. i let em go for 2-3 days. lift the pots when they first get watered if you can't weigh them and you will get a feel for the water uptake and evaporation that takes place.

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

@MarcoTC it is pretty much the same thing as Mapito or RFX. It is a rockwool base medium with chunks of what looks like foam for oxygen purposes. Very forgiving media from what I've encountered. I will upload photos later today. They are week 5. Stacking very hard. If they swell, I should see big numbers!

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

Here is a little update on these girls. They are day 32 flower. Getting fed 3 times a day for two minutes at a time or until I see a little bit of run off. They are getting fed ~1.2 EC and loving every bit of it. The swell begins...

IMG 0017 2
IMG 0016 2

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

looking awesome hunter!!!! ec sounds good too.. the wool is the shit.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

if you can next watering, get a sample of the run off and compare the EC and ppms to what you are feeding with.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

also Dank, if you can , use a syringe and pull some solution from the mix itself, near the bottom of the bucket, this is the most important set of numbers IMO as this is whats going on right at the roots.you may already do this but i like to get other sets of numbers from fellow farmers. thanks.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
You are getting the start of a CA deficiency by the looks of the leaf tips. Next cycle you can add 98% CaCl2 at .2 grams per gallon and you can also spray Ca25 once a week thourhg the end of stretch to avoid this and have slightly healthier plants.

Great job though so far!

Dunge

Dunge

You are getting the start of a CA deficiency by the looks of the leaf tips. Next cycle you can add 98% CaCl2 at .2 grams per gallon and you can also spray Ca25 once a week thourhg the end of stretch to avoid this and have slightly healthier plants.

Great job though so far!
I just learned that this is the same problem that tomato plants suffer during fruit set that leads to "end rot".
Low mobility of Ca results in localized deficiency.
CaCl2 spray for the win.
Good eye Cap.

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

if you can next watering, get a sample of the run off and compare the EC and ppms to what you are feeding with.
Going in ~600, out ~500. Been bouncing around those numbers all flower.

Great job though so far!

Thanks Cap, I do not have the CA25 product. Can I add calmag by GH to my res? Maybe spray it instead? I noticed the burnt looking tips too. I wasn't sure if it was from over feeding or not so I flushed with ~300ppm solution yesterday. But I was curious as to why my runoff ppm was lower than what was going in, and I was getting burnt tips.

I think after this run I am going to invest in a better camera.

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

also Dank, if you can , use a syringe and pull some solution from the mix itself, near the bottom of the bucket, this is the most important set of numbers IMO as this is whats going on right at the roots.you may already do this but i like to get other sets of numbers from fellow farmers. thanks.

Do you mean from the bottom of my res? I got air stones in my res which turn on for 10 minutes, 30 minutes before waterings so I know that my res isn't stagnant and mixed well.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

not from the res, use a large syringe to draw some water out of the bottom 2 inches of your pots. compare it to the res ph-ppm's.

S

Seed Buyer

Instead of adding a Ca supplement why not just bump up your base fert to achieve a higher Ca? Flowers look plump for such a low ec. I start clones off at 1.2ec, bet yours can handle more food. Epic either way!

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

Was pushing 1.3-1.4 for last two weeks they seemed to put on a little more weight. They are 45 days, I am starting their flush now. I've just read everywhere that the Gorilla Glue 4 is a low feeder.

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

So we have finished! They have been on the drying rack for 5 days now. Guessing around 4 potatoes, for 3 lights. Will have final number soon. Took em down at 51 days. Could have let em go another week but the veg room is getting way too crowded! Which isn't a bad thing. Gorilla Glue #4. I would say any beginner could grow it. Easy, light feeder, and very potent. She will be staying in my garden :)

IMG 1130
IMG 1131
IMG 1189
IMG 1166

Latest posts

Top Bottom