Watering

• Thread starter Newbie2019
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newbie2019

Newbie2019

Ok guys I am trying to improve my watering methods. Last time I over watered and damaged my roots I believe. Ok so what I changed this time is I am using cloth pots and a gallon sprayer like a weed sprayer. They are only 3 weeks old so I have been very light on water. Now the issue I am having is I have dry spots under the first couple of inches. How do I cure this? Water with a cup or something similar instead of a sprayer? Water more? This last watering I gave them a gallon between all plants. 5 - 2 gal and 3 - 3 gal pots. Growing in FFOF

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Ok guys I am trying to improve my watering methods. Last time I over watered and damaged my roots I believe. Ok so what I changed this time is I am using cloth pots and a gallon sprayer like a weed sprayer. They are only 3 weeks old so I have been very light on water. Now the issue I am having is I have dry spots under the first couple of inches. How do I cure this? Water with a cup or something similar instead of a sprayer? Water more? This last watering I gave them a gallon between all plants. 5 - 2 gal and 3 - 3 gal pots. Growing in FFOF
i have a tip if you want to here it,i tell new folks all the time,take a pot same size as your gonna use,take that pot and fill with your soil,weight it,dry weight ,then document it,then take the pot and completly drench it,drain it off and when it done draining ,weight it,document it,okay so you have wet and dry weight,divide it in half,document it,when you get to the number you came up with ,water your plant,that is the 50% moisture level you want in soil,once you get tired of weighting them pots,and will happen quick,you can then lean the same pots toward you,both wet and dry,do this in your other test with wet and dry empty pot,feel what the weight is when you are at the 50% moisture,by leaning tem towards you ,you train yourself when you need to water,that or,you can buy a moisture meter,dont bother with the cheap one on amazon for 9 bucks ,tells moisture ,ph ,and light,dont bother,get a good moisture probe,stick the probe half way in pot and when your at 50% water that simple,you will find that sticking a finger in the soil really doesnt work well unless your in shallow pots,if you in a 3 gallon pot all the feeder roots are gonna be at the least 3inches deep and will wrap roots all around that pot,half way down is were it at ,no over or under watering,half way down half moisture,dig what im saying hahahah

Anthem

Anthem

i have a tip if you want to here it,i tell new folks all the time,take a pot same size as your gonna use,take that pot and fill with your soil,weight it,dry weight ,then document it,then take the pot and completly drench it,drain it off and when it done draining ,weight it,document it,okay so you have wet and dry weight,divide it in half,document it,when you get to the number you came up with ,water your plant,that is the 50% moisture level you want in soil,once you get tired of weighting them pots,and will happen quick,you can then lean the same pots toward you,both wet and dry,do this in your other test with wet and dry empty pot,feel what the weight is when you are at the 50% moisture,by leaning tem towards you ,you train yourself when you need to water,that or,you can buy a moisture meter,dont bother with the cheap one on amazon for 9 bucks ,tells moisture ,ph ,and light,dont bother,get a good moisture probe,stick the probe half way in pot and when your at 50% water that simple,you will find that sticking a finger in the soil really doesnt work well unless your in shallow pots,if you in a 3 gallon pot all the feeder roots are gonna be at the least 3inches deep and will wrap roots all around that pot,half way down is were it at ,no over or under watering,half way down half moisture,dig what im saying hahahah
you have to be careful with FFOF if you dry it out too far it really has a hard time accepting water in the areas that are to dry, I agree the dry pot lift is a good indicator but if you let FFOF go too dry it does not do well with accepting water. Myself, when I transplant i run water to where it drains off substantially, drench the soil. After this the Clones usually go a week before they need water. This first transplant is into a 1 quart plastic pot. Next they go in 7 gallon fabric pots. In the 7 gallons fabric I follow the same regiment. They go about 6 days before they need water in the 7 gallon pots. then the days between watering starts to drop as the plant grows. usually about a quart every 2 or 3 days and it just keeps dropping. Indoors i max out at about 40oz a day everyday. Look at the color of the soil also, this gives you an idea of how much water is in the soil. Dark FFOF has water in it. Tan color soil is drying out. Lastly use the finger test, put your finger in the soil up to the second knuckle, does it feel dry on your finger tip? WATER. if it is wet, wait a day and check. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Also, try and look up pictures of overwatered plants so you know what to look for.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Overwatering is from watering too often and not letting the root zone dry out enough. Not from too much water.

Best to start in small cups or pots and transplant up so you can saturate the pots to good runoff and they will dry in a reasonable time.

quirk

quirk

I like the control I get from using 16oz. condiment squeeze bottles for first 4-5 wks then go with a long neck half gallon Novelty (brand name) can. I only do 2-4 autos at a grow.

DSCN2652 3
Top Bottom