Week 3 flower 2x2x4 - when to do strip down of fan leaves

• Thread starter Mt966685
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mt966685

Mt966685

Hey yall, was just wondering what time in flower you guys like to do a defoliation, just want to make sure there's lots of light getting through. How much would you take off?
Setup:
2x2x4 tent
Hollandstar x5 1500w cob led (actual 300w)
Grown in deep water culture

Week 3 flower 2x2x4   when to do strip down of fan leaves
Week 3 flower 2x2x4   when to do strip down of fan leaves 2
Week 3 flower 2x2x4   when to do strip down of fan leaves 3
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
your gonna get a bunch of different opinions,
what do you want to do?
i’d slowly over a few days try to only remove leaves that are blocking out light to the nice bid sites.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hey yall, was just wondering what time in flower you guys like to do a defoliation, just want to make sure there's lots of light getting through. How much would you take off?
Setup:
2x2x4 tent
Hollandstar x5 1500w cob led (actual 300w)
Grown in deep water culture

GNick55 is right, you will get a bunch of different opinions. Here's mine ... only remove yellowing or discolored leaves. Why? Because with ample lighting the light penetrates through the plant better than many people might think. I prefer to leave the green on as long as it's green .... unless it's a huge fan leaf blocking light. Even then I am more likely to bend it out of the way than cut it.

I do remove the bottom leaves like you have already done. She's a pretty lady for sure ....

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
GNick55 is right, you will get a bunch of different opinions. Here's mine ... only remove yellowing or discolored leaves. Why? Because with ample lighting the light penetrates through the plant better many people might think. I prefer to leave the green on as long as it's green .... unless it's a huge fan leaf blocking light. Even then I am more likely to bend it out of the way than cut it.

I do remove the bottom leaves like you have already done. She's a pretty lady for sure ....
yes i should of mentioned leave as much as you can and try bending, tying down. maybe a net? and try to keep the tops at the same height.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

yes i should of mentioned leave as much as you can and try bending, tying down. maybe a net? and try to keep the tops at the same height.

Over-all it looks like a job well done to this point. It looks like he's only got the one plant and his light seems to be sized right for his grow space. Pictures can be deceiving but it looks like it's getting good light to me.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Over-all it looks like a job well done to this point. It looks like he's only got the one plant and his light seems to be sized right for his grow space. Pictures can be deceiving but it looks like it's getting good light to me.
yep i agree, i try to leave it up to the person to decide what to do.
i just posted an update of my grow🤔

Mt966685

Mt966685

Appreciate the feedback , been struggling alot with how little space I got in this little tent, so have been doing my best to keep them too from gettin too close to the light by supercropping. Either of you guys ever do a scrog with dwc? Been having to pull it out every time I wnt to refill nutrients so itd have to be standalone.

Mt966685

Mt966685

Going to try to leave most leaves that arnt obviously blocking light until about week 6 or 7 and do a final defol before harvest
Appreciate the feedback , been struggling alot with how little space I got in this little tent, so have been doing my best to keep them too from gettin too close to the light by supercropping. Either of you guys ever do a scrog with dwc? Been having to pull it out every time I wnt to refill nutrients so itd have to be standalone.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

No scrog if you have to pull the plant to refill. You would need a reservoir, or a different container.

Mt966685

Mt966685

No scrog if you have to pull the plant to refill. You would need a reservoir, or a different container.
Yeah might just have to with simple resevoir setup, 5 gal outside th tent I can pump in when It gets low. Any recommendations for reinforcing th branches when th buds start to get hefty?

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Yeah might just have to with simple resevoir setup, 5 gal outside th tent I can pump in when It gets low. Any recommendations for reinforcing th branches when th buds start to get hefty?
You could net it, but you would have to make it detachable. Instead of scroging the net, just have it come down a bit over the colas just to support and attach to 4 corners of your tent. Plant yoyos is another option the retractable type. You would have to hook and unhook your colas though.

Mt966685

Mt966685

You could net it, but you would have to make it detachable. Instead of scroging the net, just have it come down a bit over the colas just to support and attach to 4 corners of your tent. Plant yoyos is another option the retractable type. You would have to hook and unhook your colas though.
Well if I get that resevoir setup my hope was I wouldnt have to take th thing outv there til harvest, just top it up through a hole in the lid when it gets low. But should I be worried about not cleaning out the bucket every so often?

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Well if I get that resevoir setup my hope was I wouldnt have to take th thing outv there til harvest, just top it up through a hole in the lid when it gets low. But should I be worried about not cleaning out the bucket every so often?
You can go a full grow without having to scrub out. You may be able to create an "access" hole on your current lid and just use a cheap transfer pump. The squeeze type for transferring fuel etc. If you create a access make sure it's resealable with no light leaks. That would make your life ez this grow.

Mt966685

Mt966685

You can go a full grow without having to scrub out. You may be able to create an "access" hole on your current lid and just use a cheap transfer pump. The squeeze type for transferring fuel etc. If you create a access make sure it's resealable with no light leaks. That would make your life ez this grow.
Yeah I think imma go that route , was just being too picky bout cleaning it before, getting a small utility transfer pump in th next week so it should be smooth sailing from there. Might go with a scrog if I can get this all setup decent. Really appreciate the help man. I'll do an update inna couple weeks

Kepp89

Kepp89

Imo pull the dead ones off
2 days later pull the big leaves blocking lots of light
2 days after that pull any medium size leaves that are in a bad spot and can’t be tucked under the nug it’s blocking some light from.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Yeah I think imma go that route , was just being too picky bout cleaning it before, getting a small utility transfer pump in th next week so it should be smooth sailing from there. Might go with a scrog if I can get this all setup decent. Really appreciate the help man. I'll do an update inna couple weeks
Id throw 2 nets on, one mid one high. If the pump don't reach the bottom find a hose that fits over it for extension.

Mt966685

Mt966685

Id throw 2 nets on, one mid one high. If the pump don't reach the bottom find a hose that fits over it for extension.
How would ya get a net through th middle at this point? Or do ya mean like throw one on as low as I can get and put another at the very top of th canopy for it to grow into?

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

How would ya get a net through th middle at this point? Or do ya mean like throw one on as low as I can get and put another at the very top of th canopy for it to grow into?
Attach a net tightly to the 4 corners of the tent above the plant with zip ties or whatever works. Slide it down little by little and spread your branches out, letting them come through the net. You'll have to manipulate branches and leaves through. 4 inch trellis net works nice. You will have to just take your time it's doable just be careful. The first net sets your cola spacing the second up higher for support. It's a lot easier in veg.

Mt966685

Mt966685

Update: Week six day 1
Fair amount of pistol dieback, seems to be a bit much for w 6. Still fairly small sized buds.
What week do buds tend to fatten up the most??

20200412 140937
20200412 182955
20200412 183052
20200412 183322
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Update: Week six day 1
Fair amount of pistol dieback, seems to be a bit much for w 6. Still fairly small sized buds.
What week do buds tend to fatten up the most??
your getting, looks nice, if everything is ideal for them they will be starting soon/now, looks like 3 weeks + left, but watch and see maybe earlier..
from seed?
seed companies usually determine flower time after the stretch..

Top Bottom