Week 4 of flower - old fan leaves fading

• Thread starter Heywood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Heywood

Heywood

Hey guys.

Just being proactive as I am starting to see some minor fading on the fan leaves.
I am in the middle of week 4 of flower. Seems a bit early for the fan leaves to start fading so thought I would check for opinions here.
This is only affecting the fan leaves. I am not seeing it on any other leaves.

• This is under a Spider Farmer SE5000 LED with the lights at 16" above the tallest cola and at 95% power
  • This is a soil grow in 7 gal fabric pots using FoxFarms Happy Frog.
  • Strain is photoperiod Blueberry Muffin
  • Using RO water PH'd to ~6.3 - 6.5
  • Temps are ~80F during lights-on and ~77F during dark. I am on a 12/12 cycle
  • RH is between 40% - 52%
  • Nutrients are Mission Organic liquid
  • I am on a feed, feed, water, feed, feed, water routine. Currently around 4 days between waterings.
  • Since I am in soil, I am not watering to runoff and am not concerned about PPM's.
  • Two oscillating fans - 1 pointed at base of pots and 1 pointed above canopy
Other additives during feeding and watering include
  • Generic fish/kelp liquid fert
  • CalMag+ (half doses)
  • MammothP (Phosphorous) 5 drops per gal of water
  • MykosWP
  • Versity Bacillus blend

On with the photos...

Here is one of the fan leaves exhibiting the light yellowing starting at the tip. This is one of the oldest fan leaves that has been there since early veg.
Fan fade close

Below is a little further zoomed out with that same leaf front and center. It is down low on the plant. It does get some light. It is not always in shade.

Fan fade out

And on a full zoom out, the red arrows show the fan leaf locations where I am seeing this occur. The red arrow at the bottom right is the leaf from the previous pics.

Fan arrows

And a couple of closer-up pics of the flowers. Just a little bit light yellow on the tips, so I have backed the light off in distance another 3 inches.

0511 flower sugar

Week 4 of flower   old fan leaves fading 5

So, any thoughts on the fan leaves being normal at this point or if I should consider correctional options?

steamroller

steamroller

I would just say make sure you keep on N just about to the end .

If you're adding for flower ALSO being 4 weeks in then yea it is just what it is . I like for my plants to use up mobile nutrients before finish but fertilize up till last week or so.
I am not known as the best finisher probably. 🥸

Heywood

Heywood

Midway through week 5.
Maybe 3 weeks to go, give or take, depending on trichomes. (7 - 8 week flowering period)

You guys still of the opinion that they are just fading properly?
I want to make sure that I am not missing any obvious signs of an issue.
@Aqua Man ?

Nearing the finish line so I am just a bit anxious that I have them on the right track...
This pic was taken with the LED's off but using the camera flash...

0517 flash

Feed, Feed, Water routine. They drink about a gallon every 3 days at this point.
My post in message #1 indicates I was at 95% power for the lights. I am now at 80%, but still at 16" height.

Here's what they get fed. I switched from Bloom to Boost at the start of week 5.

0518 nutes

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Looks really healthy to me Haywood! I wouldn't stress too much at this point. Like @steamroller said just usually add a bit more veg nute or N when you switch to the bloom nutrients in flower but these look fine

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Red branches would indicate either P or Mg deficiency.
Leaf color issues being mid way up the plant indicate K deficiency could be Mg as well.
My guess is you have a lock out issue. I would be trying to cut out the Calcium.
And adding epsom salt to my feed schedule instead of the cal mag.
You possibly have an over abundance of Calcium causing the problem.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Midway through week 5.
Maybe 3 weeks to go, give or take, depending on trichomes. (7 - 8 week flowering period)

You guys still of the opinion that they are just fading properly?
I want to make sure that I am not missing any obvious signs of an issue.
@Aqua Man ?

Nearing the finish line so I am just a bit anxious that I have them on the right track...
This pic was taken with the LED's off but using the camera flash...

View attachment 1246024

Feed, Feed, Water routine. They drink about a gallon every 3 days at this point.
My post in message #1 indicates I was at 95% power for the lights. I am now at 80%, but still at 16" height.

Here's what they get fed. I switched from Bloom to Boost at the start of week 5.

View attachment 1246025
Id add a Slight N boost for a week or so but you can probably get away without if you need.

How much of what are you feeding?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Red branches would indicate either P or Mg deficiency.
Leaf color issues being mid way up the plant indicate K deficiency could be Mg as well.
My guess is you have a lock out issue. I would be trying to cut out the Calcium.
You possibly have an over abundance of Calcium causing the problem.
Purple Can also be cooler night temps, genetics, high light and P availability. At this point adding More P wont change a thing as it’s accumulated over time. So it’s actually more important in veg and early flower imo.

Its not K because it would have the unmistakable scorching around the edges.

Looks more like the plants pulling a little nitrogen or just doing some natural shedding. Its not something id worry about but maybe just give a small N boost for short period to be on tge safe side. Not that i feel things would be bad if he didn’t.

I agree a flush on the next feed as a preventative if run off amounts have been low is a good idea at this stage of the grow again just as a precaution because once we see any issues they are a few days to a week old so preventative measures are far better than reactive ones

Stonerbudz

Stonerbudz

Hey guys.

Just being proactive as I am starting to see some minor fading on the fan leaves.
I am in the middle of week 4 of flower. Seems a bit early for the fan leaves to start fading so thought I would check for opinions here.
This is only affecting the fan leaves. I am not seeing it on any other leaves.

• This is under a Spider Farmer SE5000 LED with the lights at 16" above the tallest cola and at 95% power
  • This is a soil grow in 7 gal fabric pots using FoxFarms Happy Frog.
  • Strain is photoperiod Blueberry Muffin
  • Using RO water PH'd to ~6.3 - 6.5
  • Temps are ~80F during lights-on and ~77F during dark. I am on a 12/12 cycle
  • RH is between 40% - 52%
  • Nutrients are Mission Organic liquid
  • I am on a feed, feed, water, feed, feed, water routine. Currently around 4 days between waterings.
  • Since I am in soil, I am not watering to runoff and am not concerned about PPM's.
  • Two oscillating fans - 1 pointed at base of pots and 1 pointed above canopy
Other additives during feeding and watering include
  • Generic fish/kelp liquid fert
  • CalMag+ (half doses)
  • MammothP (Phosphorous) 5 drops per gal of water
  • MykosWP
  • Versity Bacillus blend

On with the photos...

Here is one of the fan leaves exhibiting the light yellowing starting at the tip. This is one of the oldest fan leaves that has been there since early veg.
View attachment 1243999

Below is a little further zoomed out with that same leaf front and center. It is down low on the plant. It does get some light. It is not always in shade.

View attachment 1244004

And on a full zoom out, the red arrows show the fan leaf locations where I am seeing this occur. The red arrow at the bottom right is the leaf from the previous pics.

View attachment 1244007

And a couple of closer-up pics of the flowers. Just a little bit light yellow on the tips, so I have backed the light off in distance another 3 inches.

View attachment 1244009

View attachment 1244010

So, any thoughts on the fan leaves being normal at this point or if I should consider correctional options?
I think they are fine but you might see some issue in the future but other than that I would leave it and see what happens and also plants look amazing so far keep up the amazing work

Heywood

Heywood

Id add a Slight N boost for a week or so but you can probably get away without if you need.

How much of what are you feeding?

Yeah, I think that is what I will do is add an N boost by making the next feeding I do - half veg nutes and half bloom nutes. (1 TBS of each instead of 2TBS Bloom only)
I have been feeding on the lighter side of what the Mfr recommends on the Mission nutrients.

They show 2TBS per gal water, then I do 1½ TBS per gal water.

With each feeding of nutrients, I also do ½ teaspoon of CalMag, several drops of MammothP, a scoop of MykosWP, half a scoop of Bacillus blend and 2TBS fish/kelp.
No real signs of any nutrient burn, nor light burn... so I think you are right on with an N boost being beneficial.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Heywood

Heywood

I don't think it is a lockout issue, as all of my feedings have been on the lighter side.
I agree with you on the epsom salts. I did use them several weeks ago instead of CalMag just to give a break from CalMag.
I think I will do that again next feeding.

Maybe doing the lighter feedings is the problem. Maybe the light-color fading is just... hungry plants.

Heywood

Heywood

I think they are fine but you might see some issue in the future but other than that I would leave it and see what happens and also plants look amazing so far keep up the amazing work

Thanks Budz! This is my 4th grow. Each one is an improvement over the previous ones. As it should be.

steamroller

steamroller

I think LEDs are still being realized as causing a few ' exceptions ' when it comes to standard fert scheduling and plants reactions.
First I'll say I may not grow the healthiest plants ,but everyone of my 15 clones that are growing strong have purple stems and petioles .
The chart I posted showing N all the way to the end but fading is something shared by @GNick55 which I find very handy .
As for from last pics I like what @Aqua Man said, little N and maybe a flush on the next after the N.

Heywood

Heywood

I think LEDs are still being realized as causing a few ' exceptions ' when it comes to standard fert scheduling and plants reactions.
First I'll say I may not grow the healthiest plants ,but everyone of my 15 clones that are growing strong have purple stems and petioles .
The chart I posted showing N all the way to the end but fading is something shared by @GNick55 which I find very handy .
As for from last pics I like what @Aqua Man said, little N and maybe a flush on the next after the N.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Steamroller. Always appreciated!

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

I don't think it is a lockout issue, as all of my feedings have been on the lighter side.
I agree with you on the epsom salts. I did use them several weeks ago instead of CalMag just to give a break from CalMag.
I think I will do that again next feeding.

Maybe doing the lighter feedings is the problem. Maybe the light-color fading is just... hungry plants.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, I am just coming out the other side of what you got going on, just from the opposite angle.
My issue was too much Epsom salt. Always write down what you feed, I forgot how many times I had used it, and over did it.
Used a calcium rich top dress and heavy watering to get her started turning around. Soon as I get her back green its off to flower.
Red1

After a week of heavy watering the top dress in you can see the green coming back in the branches. The new growth and branching are staying green now.

Red2

Red3

Another week maybe two and she be out of it completely. Thought I could help with some sound advice, since I was going through the same thing. Just a different cause.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Purple petioles and purple striped stems are normal with LED grows - an entirely purple stem like above would be alarming

Top Bottom