GrowSince52021

GrowSince52021

20210606_213953.jpg
20210606_213959.jpg
20210606_214009.jpg
20210606_214221.jpg
20210606_214228.jpg
20210606_214233.jpg

Do the buds look correct? When do they start getting dense? Right now they all seem a little fluffy.

Any advice for a beginner? I had a major Phosphorous deficiency that did not get fixed for the first couple weeks of Flower but they seem all on track now in terms of health.

With just less than 30 days or so left, I am tempted to take this scrogging net out, thoughts?

GrowSince52021

GrowSince52021

Thank you Sir :) I'm worried about the bud size... they seem really small :(

We have about 26-ish days still to go though!

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Thank you Sir :) I'm worried about the bud size... they seem really small :(

We have about 26-ish days still to go though!
Think about when you buy a bag tho they are usually nice size little buds. Pictures maybe throw you off and make you think they are bigger than they actually are. Idk time will tell tho they should keep fattening up.

MI420Farmer

MI420Farmer

Think about when you buy a bag tho they are usually nice size little buds. Pictures maybe throw you off and make you think they are bigger than they actually are. Idk time will tell tho they should keep fattening up.
I agree with ImpulsiveGrower. You're in the stage where some swelling will occur. People zoom in and make some buds look massive when they're really not. Don't let the hype bring you down. It's always quality over quantity.

growsince79

growsince79

View attachment 1132830View attachment 1132831View attachment 1132832View attachment 1132833View attachment 1132834View attachment 1132835

Do the buds look correct? When do they start getting dense? Right now they all seem a little fluffy.

Any advice for a beginner? I had a major Phosphorous deficiency that did not get fixed for the first couple weeks of Flower but they seem all on track now in terms of health.

With just less than 30 days or so left, I am tempted to take this scrogging net out, thoughts?
I don't see any sign of P deficiency. They look ok, maybe a bit small. Could just be the strain. What light are you using?

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

This. Here's a primetime example of how a pic can blow things waaaaay out of proportion. The buds in this pic were only about 3g but they look like 14g or better lol

Resized952019080695184914
bighempn

bighempn

View attachment 1132830View attachment 1132831View attachment 1132832View attachment 1132833View attachment 1132834View attachment 1132835

They look kinda small tbh. You should be seeing that around end of wk 3/beginning wk 4 usually. They don’t look bad but they should be bigger. Each strain varies slightly though

they look a bit small but you still have a few weeks. It’s not the end of the world. They got some trichs on em so that’s good. Next time try this:

top them 1 wk before you flip.

make sure to flush them real good before you flip them to 12/12 and put them into total darkness for two full days as it will help them build up the flowering hormones and it also gives them a little break.

definitely deleaf your ladies. You want more light hitting the node spots. Remember that you’re growing buds, not leaves and when you deleaf they will explode if everything else is on point.

I notice you’re doing dwc. Do you have some little air stones running in there? If not I’d definitely add some. You don’t need giant ones but the roots will need oxygen.

also make sure your nute solution isn’t getting too hot. It will cause root problems like rot, botrytis etc.

I also like to use bud blood powder on the first nute batch after 12/12 flip.

also try to keep your humidity high in veg. I run mine around 70% @ lights on, 55% +\- when lights off and the slowly lower it over the next few weeks into flower till I’m about 45-50% @ lights on in late flower.

something else to consider is how often you batch your rez. I batch out at least every 4 days during flower but if it gets any kind of slime or film on top of the water or starts to smell funky, I re-batch and add water max by clean grow. It’s hypoclorus acid and it’s basically like bleach but much softer and will combat any issues like root rot or water born pathogens which dwc systems are notorious for. It’s also great for system maintenance and keeping things clean.

also remember to keep your rez temps under 72degress if possible. under 68 is optimal as oxygen will dissolve in the water under that temp. They sell really small aquarium chillers for pretty cheap that would work great for your setup. Or just add some ice in the hotter summer months.

what are you running for nutes btw?
And whats

growsince79

growsince79

All my experiments show decreased yield from defoliation. I find the big fans to be very important to making big buds.
Only overcrowded plants need defoliated. These plants don't look crowded at all. In fact the look like they were defoliated before flower which would explain the small buds.
Lots of different opinions on that hot topic.
I clean up the bottom and leave the big fans alone unless it's so overcrowded I have no choice.

IMG 20210408 193614137
IMG 20210503 170417661
Last edited:
bighempn

bighempn

To each their own I guess. I personally have seen huge yield increase by defoliating my plants but like you said about the overcrowding thing, I run my plants pretty tight so they tend to get kinda bushy. It all depends on strain and growing style too and how tall your plants get. Regardless, the lights are not penetrating much past the first 12-15” or so.
I agree thought about stripping the bottoms. I usually lollipop them at least half way up the plant or else I risk ending up with several lbs of airy larf that goes into the trim pile. That happened to me last run. Bottom half didn’t get light, made tons of larf. The run previous, I killed it by stripping them 3/4 up the plant but were talking plants that are finishing out at 5ft tall or so. I personally try to go only for top nugs as they seem to get the biggest and that’s where I’ve seen the best yields. These
Pics were from - recent run I did 11-1/2 lbs off 4 hps DE lights.

5C915C5C 086F 45F2 9131 AE68AE662925
7A9A7598 C0F5 4E8E A6DA 2559855CDD35
2D4EB756 2DBD 4CDC BC72 8075B95CFBC3
HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

I just hit week 5 yesterday. I didn’t defol, but removed all the popcorn buds on the lower 1/3rd and only removed maybe 10 fan leaves that were blocking bud sites. Any that I could tuck out of the way I did. How long after flipping to 12/12 before you saw pistils emerge from your plants?
BE8168B9 1D57 463C A094 491A4BD0D293

growsince79

growsince79

To each their own I guess. I personally have seen huge yield increase by defoliating my plants but like you said about the overcrowding thing, I run my plants pretty tight so they tend to get kinda bushy. It all depends on strain and growing style too and how tall your plants get. Regardless, the lights are not penetrating much past the first 12-15” or so.
I agree thought about stripping the bottoms. I usually lollipop them at least half way up the plant or else I risk ending up with several lbs of airy larf that goes into the trim pile. That happened to me last run. Bottom half didn’t get light, made tons of larf. The run previous, I killed it by stripping them 3/4 up the plant but were talking plants that are finishing out at 5ft tall or so. I personally try to go only for top nugs as they seem to get the biggest and that’s where I’ve seen the best yields. These
Pics were from - recent run I did 11-1/2 lbs off 4 hps DE lights.
Agree. With your method, defoliation is a must. The OP little plants didn't need it.
In my lil setup, I could veg 2 plants 8 weeks and defoliate. Or I can veg 4 plants 4 weeks without defoliation and get the same harvest a month sooner.
1lb in a 2x4 under 300w.

bighempn

bighempn

Agree. With your method, defoliation is a must. The OP little plants didn't need it.
In my lil setup, I could veg 2 plants 8 weeks and defoliate. Or I can veg 4 plants 4 weeks without defoliation and get the same harvest a month sooner.
1lb in a 2x4 under 300w.
That’s pretty good in terms of canopy size and wattage.
I just hit week 5 yesterday. I didn’t defol, but removed all the popcorn buds on the lower 1/3rd and only removed maybe 10 fan leaves that were blocking bud sites. Any that I could tuck out of the way I did. How long after flipping to 12/12 before you saw pistils emerge from your plants?
View attachment 1133134
If this is start of wk 5, you’re doing fine actually. They look good man. After seeing this pic, they look ok.

HeathenFarmer

HeathenFarmer

That’s pretty good in terms of canopy size and wattage.

If this is start of wk 5, you’re doing fine actually. They look good man. After seeing this pic, they look ok.
I'm not the OP, I was just giving him a comparison of where I'm at for week 5. I'm thinking maybe he flipped early and it took a couple weeks to show sex and start to flower. Maybe that's why he thinks they're underdeveloped for week 5? I'm not sure, pretty unexperienced myself.

bighempn

bighempn

I'm not the OP, I was just giving him a comparison of where I'm at for week 5. I'm thinking maybe he flipped early and it took a couple weeks to show sex and start to flower. Maybe that's why he thinks they're underdeveloped for week 5? I'm not sure, pretty unexperienced myself.
Lol oops. None the less, you’re lookin good at wk 5 👍

J

jimmymac25

I guess defol is a hot topic. I'm fairly new to growing, myself . But maybe it's these HLG lights, or the super soil, or these genetics, but my plants respond extremely well when I strip the fan leaves. They look bare compared to before I start, but they're up and praying in two hours. And never look back.

J

jimmymac25

Sorry guys for bumping an old thread. Just into my week five, and want to talk defol. Peace.

Top Bottom