Week 6 of flowering and my buds seem small

• Thread starter architeuthis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

architeuthis

Today starts week 6 of my flowering, was hoping to see more fattening and for the bud sites to connect more. Is there something I did wrong and can I correct it before harvest?
I’ve been using fox farms soil and nutrients. During flower I’ve been using tiger bloom, cal mag and their sugar and have been following their schedule for it. I water about 2 gallons per 7 gallon fabric pot every 4 days. Some days it does get too hot in there. Humidity has stayed bellow 55% the entire time. Definitely didn’t defoliate enough at first so I did a second round around week 2 of flower. I’ve been picking off the dying yellow leaves before they rot and fall into the soil.
I appreciate any insight!

Week 6 of flowering and my buds seem small
Week 6 of flowering and my buds seem small 2
Week 6 of flowering and my buds seem small 3
Week 6 of flowering and my buds seem small 4
Week 6 of flowering and my buds seem small 5
Week 6 of flowering and my buds seem small 6
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

sativas, and sativa hybrids don't make massive colas or huge nugs typically.
Generally true although in this case I don't think the grow ever got completely dialed in ... I'm seeing what looks like a lot of deep red stems. I suspect a magnesium deficiency or lockout has contributed to smaller bud size. For some reason, magnesium use can go through the roof using LEDs. I found that my plants responded better when I substituted epsom salts for cal-mag. At least for me, the calcium was interfering with magnesium uptake. It can also interfere with potassium uptake, which will have an impact on bud size and over-all yield as well.

@architeuthis This grow is too close to finish for changes in your routine to have much impact. Next run, if you're growing in soil, be sure to check to see if your soil pH is at 6.5 +/- .2. Fox Farm should be pre-buffered to be in that range, but if it's dried out it may not be. You may need to reactivate the soil microbes and the buffering by keeping it moist (not wet) for a couple of weeks prior to use. Also, cal-mag is so widely used and suggested as a "cure-all" that it's frequently over-used. This causes lock-out issues due to excess calcium

A

architeuthis

Generally true although in this case I don't think the grow ever got completely dialed in ... I'm seeing what looks like a lot of deep red stems. I suspect a magnesium deficiency or lockout has contributed to smaller bud size. For some reason, magnesium use can go through the roof using LEDs. I found that my plants responded better when I substituted epsom salts for cal-mag. At least for me, the calcium was interfering with magnesium uptake. It can also interfere with potassium uptake, which will have an impact on bud size and over-all yield as well.

@architeuthis This grow is too close to finish for changes in your routine to have much impact. Next run, if you're growing in soil, be sure to check to see if your soil pH is at 6.5 +/- .2. Fox Farm should be pre-buffered to be in that range, but if it's dried out it may not be. You may need to reactivate the soil microbes and the buffering by keeping it moist (not wet) for a couple of weeks prior to use. Also, cal-mag is so widely used and suggested as a "cure-all" that it's frequently over-used. This causes lock-out issues due to excess calcium
My stems have never been green. I got them as clones with purp stems. My new growth will start out green and change. I use cal-mag pretty sparingly. 10ml per 4gal once every week or two. My water has no calcium so I would think it’s a nute I need to add at some points, but not sure how to balance the calcium and mag. Could my LEDs be too strong? I went with a California light works 1100, it’s 800 watts, I have the light pulled as far away as it can be

A

architeuthis

sativas, and sativa hybrids don't make massive colas or huge nugs typically.
Part of the issue is I have no clue what these are. I believe they’re all unofficial hybrids from a local seed company my buddy has been working with so googling the names he gave me gives me no info.

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
Part of the issue is I have no clue what these are. I believe they’re all unofficial hybrids from a local seed company my buddy has been working with so googling the names he gave me gives me no info.
They actually look really good to me. You should see more land race leaning sativas...flower clusters all blown out and spaced. Let them ripen good tho. Got weeks still.

Moshmen

Moshmen

+1 epsom has done the same in my situation , no cal mag used here!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

My stems have never been green. I got them as clones with purp stems. My new growth will start out green and change. I use cal-mag pretty sparingly. 10ml per 4gal once every week or two. My water has no calcium so I would think it’s a nute I need to add at some points, but not sure how to balance the calcium and mag. Could my LEDs be too strong? I went with a California light works 1100, it’s 800 watts, I have the light pulled as far away as it can be
Purple stems alone don't necessarily mean your plant has a problem. Purple stems with healthy robust growth would either be genetics or environmental (cold nights for example). However, purple stems and discolored listless leaves certainly mean something is off.

Are you sure your water has no calcium? It would be extremely rare that an unfiltered tap water would be without it. It's one of the most common minerals found in ground and surface water sources.

Over-watering - The term is frequently misunderstood. Once your plants have a strong root structure, it's hard to give them too much water in one feeding. Where the newer grower runs into issues is by under-watering because they don't want to be the new grower who over-waters, and then watering too often. Root development suffers.

In soil, water the soil thoroughly. Your goal is to disperse that water slowly and evenly through-out the pot. Once you see run-off, it's time to stop.

WAIT for the pot to dry out enough so that it's light when you pick it up. Water again. I use 5 gallon air pots and my plants usually want water every 3 days.

Tip: I use these inexpensive moisture meters to tell me when to water. When that meter leaves the green area and drifts towards the red, it's time to water. The leaves on my plants will also tell me that because they start to drop. This is the time to water. Wait until they droop too much and you'll begin to lose leaves due to structural damage caused by dehydration.

Moisture Meter

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Epsom salts are wonderful. And if you truly need the calcium make an egg shell bath or look into adding some Gypsum(which also comes with a host of other benefits).

@MIGrampaUSA giving you really solid advice here.

A

architeuthis

Purple stems alone don't necessarily mean your plant has a problem. Purple stems with healthy robust growth would either be genetics or environmental (cold nights for example). However, purple stems and discolored listless leaves certainly mean something is off.

Are you sure your water has no calcium? It would be extremely rare that an unfiltered tap water would be without it. It's one of the most common minerals found in ground and surface water sources.

Over-watering - The term is frequently misunderstood. Once your plants have a strong root structure, it's hard to give them too much water in one feeding. Where the newer grower runs into issues is by under-watering because they don't want to be the new grower who over-waters, and then watering too often. Root development suffers.

In soil, water the soil thoroughly. Your goal is to disperse that water slowly and evenly through-out the pot. Once you see run-off, it's time to stop.

WAIT for the pot to dry out enough so that it's light when you pick it up. Water again. I use 5 gallon air pots and my plants usually want water every 3 days.

Tip: I use these inexpensive moisture meters to tell me when to water. When that meter leaves the green area and drifts towards the red, it's time to water. The leaves on my plants will also tell me that because they start to drop. This is the time to water. Wait until they droop too much and you'll begin to lose leaves due to structural damage caused by dehydration.

View attachment 1238186
I was surprised, the water report for the finish treated water in my area has calcium as a negligible amount. However, there have been two water main breaks in the last month so there could’ve been calcium in the water that wouldn’t be reported.
My plants seem to grow tall and root like crazy, but I’ve always had problem with the color changing stems and certain plants leaves turning purple-y, yellow, and spotting. I have two plants in the same conditions that give me no problems other than the purple stems. The ones that give me problems look like they’re sativas hybrids, not sure if that makes any difference.
Despite some plants looking better than others the colas on all of them seem to be taking their time to fill out.
My pots are 7 gallon fabric pots from ac infinity, one is a smart pot brand. I water 1 gallon (ph approx 6) at a time and end it with two gallons. After 4 days the pots are very light and feel dry, that’s when I go to re water.
I’m going to buy a soil ph/moisture meter today and see if that can give me more insight.
Is there any possibility of root issues? On the smart pot it looks like there’s a couple of roots sticking out the sides where as the ac infinity pots are a little thicker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom