Week 6 Of Veg.

• Thread starter BamaBushes32
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I’m training her everyday but I have all lower branches tied down. IS IT OK TO CUT THE BIG FAN LEAVES CONNECTED TO STOCK OF PLANT???? They are blocking alit if light and I want to cut them before I throw them into flower if that’s OK
i do thin them out a little before flip,id take off those big fans down around bottom end for sure,looks like you got it figured out,no comes the pinching,it is hard as hell to explain that,so check out some you tube vids on it,very effective for your plants,when them buds start getting heavy you will need them knuckles on the stems to hold the buds up,you master that art and nothing will hold you back.
that plant right there i would take the bottom 8 inches off and continue on,pinch the stems, dont get crazy yet and go slow at it,just roll in between thumb and finger ,like you would roll a nail between them,it doesnt break the stem but stretch it were it is pliable and you can slowly bend um over after a while,you ever here of grow weed easy,they are great teachers and go threw about every thing you and a grow needs,cant remember what kind of head room you have,but with 5 gal buckets they get big,i had 4 plants in 5 gal buckets in a 7x7x7 room and after all said and done,i was ninja crawling threw the middle of them to work um,ended up with 1ft of light and fan room and strings every were,was so glad not to get bugs,it would have been a disaster,since that crop,bending ,pinching,defoliating is my main weapon

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I leave most fan leaves on, especially the larger ones until they start to lighten in color and fall off on their own. The early fan leaves are needed for energy and gets the plant growing until more leaves come online. They also are used to store nutrients...they often turn yellow later on in the grow, as the plants take the needed nutrients out of them...they also turn yellow from lack of light, which is normal as the plant grows. This is for the big fan leaves.
There are also smaller fan leaves that grow along with the plant. I leave as many of these on as possible, but I DO remove a couple select leaves that will allow more light to get into the plant's interior, or to allow more light to hit a budding site, which can increase the size and quality of the buds hidden under the leaves. It's a trade off. The leaves are the engine of the plant, with light being the same as gasoline and the plant's growth is the horsepower/potency. The leaves provide the energy for the plant to grow...grow includes flowering. If you take too many leaves, your resulting buds will be smaller and fewer (smaller engine produces less power). If you have too many leaves, it can block the light reaching the interior buds. The idea, at least to me, is to find the balance between min/max leaf amount and size of buds. I tend to do this on a daily basis, removing just one or two leaves as needed. This shouldn't be confused with some practices of severely pruning back a plant as part of a training program or a special type of grow, which is a different process and rationale for doing it altogether.
All in all, I try to keep the plants as close to their natural state as possible, although I do pinch or split the main stems once or twice, depending on the strain. So many ways to grow, and all of them can work!

BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

i do thin them out a little before flip,id take off those big fans down around bottom end for sure,looks like you got it figured out,no comes the pinching,it is hard as hell to explain that,so check out some you tube vids on it,very effective for your plants,when them buds start getting heavy you will need them knuckles on the stems to hold the buds up,you master that art and nothing will hold you back.
that plant right there i would take the bottom 8 inches off and continue on,pinch the stems, dont get crazy yet and go slow at it,just roll in between thumb and finger ,like you would roll a nail between them,it doesnt break the stem but stretch it were it is pliable and you can slowly bend um over after a while,you ever here of grow weed easy,they are great teachers and go threw about every thing you and a grow needs,cant remember what kind of head room you have,but with 5 gal buckets they get big,i had 4 plants in 5 gal buckets in a 7x7x7 room and after all said and done,i was ninja crawling threw the middle of them to work um,ended up with 1ft of light and fan room and strings every were,was so glad not to get bugs,it would have been a disaster,since that crop,bending ,pinching,defoliating is my main weapon
I’m nervous about lollipoping. This is my first grow so I basically I have zero hands on knowledge but I get on forums and do hours of research daily. But makes me nervous cutting off all that at the bottom. Also my roots they haven’t reached the bottom of bucket yet but I they are about 1-1 1/2inches from bottom Am I going to have to translate again??? Don’t wanna get root bound during flower and then have to do it then. Ever had this problem??

BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

I leave most fan leaves on, especially the larger ones until they start to lighten in color and fall off on their own. The early fan leaves are needed for energy and gets the plant growing until more leaves come online. They also are used to store nutrients...they often turn yellow later on in the grow, as the plants take the needed nutrients out of them...they also turn yellow from lack of light, which is normal as the plant grows. This is for the big fan leaves.
There are also smaller fan leaves that grow along with the plant. I leave as many of these on as possible, but I DO remove a couple select leaves that will allow more light to get into the plant's interior, or to allow more light to hit a budding site, which can increase the size and quality of the buds hidden under the leaves. It's a trade off. The leaves are the engine of the plant, with light being the same as gasoline and the plant's growth is the horsepower/potency. The leaves provide the energy for the plant to grow...grow includes flowering. If you take too many leaves, your resulting buds will be smaller and fewer (smaller engine produces less power). If you have too many leaves, it can block the light reaching the interior buds. The idea, at least to me, is to find the balance between min/max leaf amount and size of buds. I tend to do this on a daily basis, removing just one or two leaves as needed. This shouldn't be confused with some practices of severely pruning back a plant as part of a training program or a special type of grow, which is a different process and rationale for doing it altogether.
All in all, I try to keep the plants as close to their natural state as possible, although I do pinch or split the main stems once or twice, depending on the strain. So many ways to grow, and all of them can work!
I was thinking because my plant is soo bushy,big, and the roots are so strong and abundant that I could get away with cutting those huge fan leafs at the top well not very top but around the middle. I have already cut 3 or 4 I will post pics when I get home of what all I have chopped off but I have no clue personally because this is my first grow and everyone’ has a different opinion.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I was thinking because my plant is soo bushy,big, and the roots are so strong and abundant that I could get away with cutting those huge fan leafs at the top well not very top but around the middle. I have already cut 3 or 4 I will post pics when I get home of what all I have chopped off but I have no clue personally because this is my first grow and everyone’ has a different opinion.
Looking at your plants, they are doing fine. I don't see any benefit in moving them to a larger bucket unless you are going to be moving things outside. After looking at your pictures, I would thin out some of the top larger leaves...the ones that are stopping the light from getting to the layer under the canopy. Leave the bottommost large fan leaves alone. The still provide energy and stored nutrients, and since you won't be getting many buds at the bottom of the plant, they aren't taking light away from growing shoots.
I have found that the buds grow best and largest where the light directly hits them. They grow a little from reflected and ambient light, but it takes bright, direct light to grow the larger buds. By removing some of these top leaves, you can get more light going into areas where buds are growing under the main canopy. Trimming one strategic leaf can make a surprising difference in the growth of the buds underneath. My biggest problem is that the plants nowadays are pretty bushy and compact, like yours. They are great plants but my yield suffers because of the light not being able to penetrate as much as taller, less bushy plants.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
As far as selective trimming, these are the leaves I would remove currently, and as new ones grow to block light to the interior, trim a few more.

Bucket2
BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

As far as selective trimming, these are the leaves I would remove currently, and as new ones grow to block light to the interior, trim a few more.
I took some off already and tied down all big bottom branches. I also topped and I’m seeing 6 NEW TOPS!! It took them a week to grow but they are there! Thanks for the advice if you see any more trim spots let me know. She will be flowering tommrow

FF958F29 6E9B 4DF6 B80D E5C29991554F
6450ECBD 448F 4619 8775 2FB86BF8841E
BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

Looking at your plants, they are doing fine. I don't see any benefit in moving them to a larger bucket unless you are going to be moving things outside. After looking at your pictures, I would thin out some of the top larger leaves...the ones that are stopping the light from getting to the layer under the canopy. Leave the bottommost large fan leaves alone. The still provide energy and stored nutrients, and since you won't be getting many buds at the bottom of the plant, they aren't taking light away from growing shoots.
I have found that the buds grow best and largest where the light directly hits them. They grow a little from reflected and ambient light, but it takes bright, direct light to grow the larger buds. By removing some of these top leaves, you can get more light going into areas where buds are growing under the main canopy. Trimming one strategic leaf can make a surprising difference in the growth of the buds underneath. My biggest problem is that the plants nowadays are pretty bushy and compact, like yours. They are great plants but my yield suffers because of the light not being able to penetrate as much as taller, less bushy plants.
Awesome advice. I’m just scared of getting root bound during flowing with a 3 foot wide plant. Lol ya know... these roots have gone crazy since day one. The smaller one is doing the same thing. Was almost root bound in 3 gallon so I put it in The five gallon. I don’t want to transplant so I hope you are right. Thanks again. Pic is of the roots of smaller plant comming out of 3 gallon

3F685632 9E55 41AC 8BDE 8A4F38370D05
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Awesome advice. I’m just scared of getting root bound during flowing with a 3 foot wide plant. Lol ya know... these roots have gone crazy since day one. The smaller one is doing the same thing. Was almost root bound in 3 gallon so I put it in The five gallon. I don’t want to transplant so I hope you are right. Thanks again. Pic is of the roots of smaller plant comming out of 3 gallon
It doesn't matter how big of a container that you use, the roots will fill it up. Just because you see roots, don't assume that it is rootbound. Indoors, you shouldn't be able to be rootbound in a 5 gallon bucket in a grow tent...you will see lots of roots, but nothing you would call rootbound (which is a judgement call depending on the grower). When it is rootbound, you will see 3-5X the roots that you are seeing, and water will run out of the buckets damn near as fast as you can pour it in. A 5 or 6 gallon bucket is more than enough for an indoor plant. Transplanting will shock the plant a little and would probably decrease your yield until it recovers. If you are growing outdoors and the plant is going to get huge, then you could maybe go with a bigger container, but I've never used anything bigger than a 6 gal bucket...I usually use a 5 gallon. FWIW, I DID see a slight difference in size between a 5 and 6 gallon plant, but it was pretty small. My plants often grow 6-7 ft indoors and abut 4-5 ft across, with no notable root binding. I think you are doing fine!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Regarding trimming/topping/pinching...every grower has their own thoughts regarding thinning out their plants. I just try to thin out the top leaves that are keeping light from getting deeper into the plant. I marked a few more leaves that I would take out, but more as a guide for you. I would let the plants go another week if you can...look at the new bud or growth sites that you uncovered and see how much they grew during the week after you thinned them out. You SHOULD be able to see a difference in the size and rate at which the formerly shadowed bud sites grow. It should give you a better idea of what you might expect after your thinning adventures. Keep in mind that I don't really take away too much leaf mass from my trimmings. Others will trim the plant to the point it only has 20% of it's original leaf mass...there is a LOT of different opinions about thinning and you will need to find what works best for you. Heavy thinning gets the light deep into the plant but also slows and shrinks the resulting buds if done too much, while not thinning gives a nice top canopy, but smaller buds underneath. It's always a trade off it seems.

BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

It doesn't matter how big of a container that you use, the roots will fill it up. Just because you see roots, don't assume that it is rootbound. Indoors, you shouldn't be able to be rootbound in a 5 gallon bucket in a grow tent...you will see lots of roots, but nothing you would call rootbound (which is a judgement call depending on the grower). When it is rootbound, you will see 3-5X the roots that you are seeing, and water will run out of the buckets damn near as fast as you can pour it in. A 5 or 6 gallon bucket is more than enough for an indoor plant. Transplanting will shock the plant a little and would probably decrease your yield until it recovers. If you are growing outdoors and the plant is going to get huge, then you could maybe go with a bigger container, but I've never used anything bigger than a 6 gal bucket...I usually use a 5 gallon. FWIW, I DID see a slight difference in size between a 5 and 6 gallon plant, but it was pretty small. My plants often grow 6-7 ft indoors and abut 4-5 ft across, with no notable root binding. I think you are doing fine!
Thank you soo much!! You are the only person that has given me a straight up answer about if I need to transplants or not... I never saw where you said I could take off more on the plant. Circle on this picture what leaves should go next if you don’t mind?

233554C5 7497 48F2 9ABE 8242E887498B
0C3E2E28 BB3F 4ED5 B2E6 D29EF199500E
Top Bottom