Weight calculation for cannabis edibles

• Thread starter pixelpaws
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pixelpaws

pixelpaws

I've searched and not found discussion on this. If we are trying to calculate THC dosage for edibles, is the weight calculation before or after decarb? If using fresh frozen, weight is substantially less after decarb. Thoughts?

Ponky

Ponky

The government dose of 5 to 10 mg is comically pointless. A low power edible is a 50mg. 100 mg. 200mg is a small bag of snacks. But people make 10 000 mg monster edibles too. Because people vary so much. Some can eat a literal stomach full and feel nothing. I'd make 50mg an up.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

If you can access moonshine or 80% alcohol you can turn leaves and such you would otherwise throw away into shatter.

This shatter is very high percent thc and its odorless,tasteless and clear.

Appropriate for edibles. But its a process

growsince79

growsince79

If you can access moonshine or 80% alcohol you can turn leaves and such you would otherwise throw away into shatter.

This shatter is very high percent thc and its odorless,tasteless and clear.

Appropriate for edibles. But its a process
Shatter from leaves and alcohol: Odorless-no. Tasteless -no. Clear- nope. You should try it and see for yourself.

pixelpaws

pixelpaws

Shatter from leaves and alcohol: Odorless-no. Tasteless -no. Clear- nope. You should try it and see for yourself.
Reading about shatter ... it IS quite a process. I'm patient, but I don't know about making this. And I have a friend who dabs and says it destroys his tolerance and he has to quit smoking for a while to let it settle down again. But I suppose everyone is different.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Not too much, but just enough. Wait some time between taking more, gauge it with experience. But don't overdo it, cause you'll be sorry, and sleepy, and/or paranoid. 😂 You might even think your going to die.

Personally, I think if you have fans/trim the best way forward is RSO method, or even better coconut oil extraction. Both are very good, cheap methods that work excellent.

Last edited:
Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

The way i did it i got varying degrees of clear depending on contact time with material.

Longer rinse equals darker shatter

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Also, if you use only shatter hash and weed wont work as well
So its probably best occasionally

mancorn

mancorn

I've searched and not found discussion on this. If we are trying to calculate THC dosage for edibles, is the weight calculation before or after decarb? If using fresh frozen, weight is substantially less after decarb. Thoughts?
Use your decarb weight as the pre weight is going to be substantially higher if you’re using fresh flower. For dried flower you’ll lose about 12% weight. All the weight loss is going to be water (not THC, as this would completely negate decarbing if it destroyed your THC).

mancorn

mancorn

The government dose of 5 to 10 mg is comically pointless. A low power edible is a 50mg. 100 mg. 200mg is a small bag of snacks. But people make 10 000 mg monster edibles too. Because people vary so much. Some can eat a literal stomach full and feel nothing. I'd make 50mg an up.
You’re certainly right that people vary - a lot. 50mg will get some people (like me) super ripped (and I’ve been toking for over 45 years). Until you know how it effects you, go slow.

growsince79

growsince79

You’re certainly right that people vary - a lot. 50mg will get some people (like me) super ripped (and I’ve been toking for over 45 years). Until you know how it effects you, go slow.
Total guessing game with home made. With kief its easier to figure. Plus leaf and flower tastes gross. 250mg kief might be 125mg thc - perfect for me- too much for beginners.. Probably need 1.25g of dry flower to get the same dose.

Green_Bambino

Green_Bambino

Depending on how potent your flower is, you should get about 4 to 5 grams of pure THC oil from 1 oz of flower, so if you are making butter or MCT Oil extract the potency should be between 4000 and 5000mg in the total weight of your butter or MCT oil, if you used 500ml of oil or butter you would have about 300mg per 30ml.

If you used a cold alcohol extraction to extract your oil first, it would be a lot more accurate.

Top Bottom