Weird leaf pattern

• Thread starter Jahredi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jahredi

Jahredi

Hi everyone. This is another wedding cake seed from a rec store purchase. Grew 4 last year and had great luck. This year I’m growing only one bean from that stash and another wedding cake bean from a different breeder, along with some Alaskan Purple.

Anyway, check out these weird leaf formations on the wedding cake...

Started getting weird during week 2 when one of the second sets only had two leaves instead of three...
Weird leaf pattern

More pronounced, middle of week 3, not a big deal. Seen this before...
Weird leaf pattern 3

But then... middle of week 4 and this next set has eight leaves and they are odd shapes and asymmetrical. I’ve never seen this before.
Weird leaf pattern 2

Just going to grow it out, and I imagine it will be fine. Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before and why it might happen. I suspect it’s some genetic anomaly.

Thoughts?

Jahredi

Jahredi

Looks like a mild mutation. The article is some serious science, it would be interesting to let it go and see what happens. Plants are plants right?

Thanks! Looks like an interesting read!

Oh, for sure, I’m going to let it go! Popping another one for back up 🙌

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Im seeing the three lobe mutation pop up in my plants a bunch. Some of it is because of revegging them after harvest. But I guess it can Pop up in ruderalis crossed strains.
observing the plants and experimenting on them teaches you so much.

Jahredi

Jahredi

observing the plants and experimenting on them teaches you so much.
I totally agree! Heck, every time I put a seed in the ground it’s an experiment!

Im seeing the three lobe mutation pop up in my plants a bunch. Some of it is because of revegging them after harvest. But I guess it can Pop up in ruderalis crossed strains.
I’ve seen the three lobe mutation quite a bit actually. It‘s the eight lobes on the fourth node that I find peculiar. Usually, the lobes come in odd numbers, and sequentially.

In my experience, the norm is that node 1 = 1 lobe; node 2 = 3 lobes; node 3 = 5 lobes; node 4 = 7 lobes...

So, this strikes me as extraordinary: Node 1 = 1 lobe; node 2 = 3 lobes (with one 2 lobe mutation); node 3 = 3 lobes; node 4 = 8 lobes

Things that I’ve never seen:
The jump from 3 lobes to 8
8 lobes
A dwarfed central lobe
The almost pistil like 8th lobe that is sticking out from the middle of leaf cluster

I am just curious if anyone else has ever had similar or so many mutations at the start and what outcomes they’ve experienced. This is the first time I’ve ever seen this so, I have nothing to compare it to. Just stoned, sitting here, pondering stuff that most likely wont matter two weeks from now lol

Jahredi

Jahredi

A couple more pics... Definitely looks weird. Growth seems stunted. It went from being the fastest growing to the slowest.
BE7A21F7 3886 40B3 827D 423AD0E4C899

270DE573 1964 43F0 90C8 8AF7F6376BC7

9F6DD243 8B9B 4B15 89B1 50C93544F75E

Latest posts

Top Bottom