Welcome to the Fungal, it gets worse here everyday - Fusarium Solani

• Thread starter silverhaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
inuyasha

inuyasha

i'll give an update: i gave up. i scrapped my whole hydro system and switched to soil.

i tried everything mentioned in this thread (with the exception of aliette -- i don't think i ever tried that) and the fusarium came back time and time again. the last lab test i had actually showed pythium too in addition to the fusarium.

i switched to soil 6 months ago and the problem disappeared overnight. of course soil brings a whole wealth of new problems (like watering, ugh!!) but no more pythium or fusarium. actually i can't say for sure that they are gone as i haven't had tests done since switching, but if they are still present they are entirely asymptomatic. the plants look great right up until harvest!

i wish i had a more inspiring update but maybe this will be helpful for the folks that don't mind sacrificing the convenience of hydro.

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

Howdy,

I've had test that verify that i'm dealing with fusarium.

I haven't beat it but, I have been able to suppress it.

I have found the following fungicides effective in slowing it down-

-Heritage
-Mancozeb (leaves increase in size)
-Subdue Maxx
-Daconil (doesn't do a lot, but it does help)

Application rates???

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
i'll give an update: i gave up. i scrapped my whole hydro system and switched to soil.

i tried everything mentioned in this thread (with the exception of aliette -- i don't think i ever tried that) and the fusarium came back time and time again. the last lab test i had actually showed pythium too in addition to the fusarium.

i switched to soil 6 months ago and the problem disappeared overnight. of course soil brings a whole wealth of new problems (like watering, ugh!!) but no more pythium or fusarium. actually i can't say for sure that they are gone as i haven't had tests done since switching, but if they are still present they are entirely asymptomatic. the plants look great right up until harvest!

i wish i had a more inspiring update but maybe this will be helpful for the folks that don't mind sacrificing the convenience of hydro.
It's inspiration for us organic-heads who keep saying that we must *harness* the microbes instead of fighting them. Embrace dirt!

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

It's inspiration for us organic-heads who keep saying that we must *harness* the microbes instead of fighting them. Embrace dirt!

this can still be prevalent in dirt switching to dirt is not by any means a cure JS....I mean Fusarium is a soil-borne fungi is it not?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It is, however, by being in dirt we can encourage other microbes to develop, thus creating, hopefully, an environment where the balance goes in favor of the good guys. Because in a sterile environment once *any* microbe gets a foothold and it's all by itself, it's going to take over.

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

It is, however, by being in dirt we can encourage other microbes to develop, thus creating, hopefully, an environment where the balance goes in favor of the good guys. Because in a sterile environment once *any* microbe gets a foothold and it's all by itself, it's going to take over.

bless your heart...

I have done an extreme amount of reading on the subject. If it was a simple as introducing these mysterious microbes(they don't exist) don't you think tomato, strawberry, pepper, cucumbers, banana and other farmers would be utilizing them instead of fumigating, solarizing, and crop rotation, etc.... there is not a known cure. I know I don't need to turn you on to extension sites and you have brought a wealth of knowledge to this site but the only thing that will save our community from Fusarium is to get todays breeders on board to begin creating resistant verities

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3122.html

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783101011.html

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden....diseases/cankers/fusarium-wilt-of-tomato.aspx

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you for that information. I'm reading the first link right now and a statement really stands out to me.

Additionally, new races of both pathogens have been identified that are capable of overcoming the resistance in many popular tomato varieties.
How did this come to be? Could it have been due to misuse and/or overuse of fungicides? What about monocropping, could that have anything to do with the resurgence of new strains of Fusarium? I don't know! But it's something to consider as we grow our heirloom foodstuffs.

In any event, I have to admit I'm surprised that there seems to be nothing that speaks to shifting the balance outside fertilizer types, soil pH and long rotations. You're right, we're gonna need resistant varieties in those areas where these fungi exist. I stand corrected!

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

Over or misuse of fungisides aren't to blame... The war on drugs is.... Keep reading and your findings will continue to astound you... Ill give you a hint add the letters DEA to your search ...it will get even scarier

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

can high heat sterilize a soiless medium infected with these problems sailfishdan? I.e 250°f

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

great links btw, thanks for sharing

your welcome brother...

did you read the part about Representative Dan Burton's son getting caught with 8 pounds in his trunk, and them a month later getting busted with 30 or 40 plants in Indianapolis....
Under federal mandatory minimum rules, Burton should have received at least five years in federal prison, plus a year or more for arrest while on probation.
State prosecutors decided that the total weight of marijuana from the 30 plants was 25 grams (about one ounce), thus reducing the charge to a misdemeanor.
The Indiana prosecutor threw out all the charges against him saying, "I didn't see any sense in putting him on probation a second time."

MUST BE NICE!

sorry for getting off topic

N

nightmarecreature

I can help you out bro. I had the same problem my first year. I battled and battled and I could not win. My plants looked the same, I couldn't win! Yellow tops then wilted to death. Fulsarium wilt sucks!

Scrap everything! Throw all your plants away! Throw away nutes! Throw away all equipment, not the lights and stuff like that, just the pots and everything that has touched your plants. Start from scratch! Move to a different house if possible. I only had this problem in Hydro. I would grow in Coco and add bennies. I have lost one plant in three years to wilt only because the cut was very old. Don't fight it! Coco with bennies is the way to go.

Top Bottom