Well here I am 66 yrs. old and growing Weed

• Thread starter TheCanadianBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheCanadianBear

TheCanadianBear

flu forced me into another Hobby. Living in Nova Scotia, Canada with unruly weather and many obstacles I am getting ready for season two. First on was a total loss but sure learned a lot. Looking for suggestions on strains that will do well in our climate as any great prices on seeds, nutrients etc. Things like is it too early to start my plants to best soil to start them in.. Thanks in advance ..

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Good luck in finding suitable strains. I'm afraid I have no experience that far north to be of any help.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for lifeđŸŒ±
Supporter
welcome. Never too old to grow plants.
Auto-flowers might be best suited for the crazy weather in NS.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Greetings fellow Canuck.
I‘m in Ontario. Not quite as nasty weather but it still gets cold.
With a good tent most lights will keep your temps up fairly well. Even my smaller LED’s keep my 3x3 at 73*. The T5 gets to high 70’s
and the CMH’s even low 80’s. When they go out the temp drops to mid 60’s. I just use a small space heater during lights out when necessary.
Adding a humidifier or dehumidifier if needed will also add a little heat.
Once you get your environment heated and controlled you can grow any strain. It’s summer in the grow room.
There are controls and corrections for every parameter.
Research which method and medium you want to use. Some take more work and are more finicky than others. Soil, coco, hydros.
There are a lot of good smart people here that are willing and able to help but they like you to be somewhat prepared and informed.
Good luck and enjoy!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
What part of the Province are you in?
I grew a bit outdoors there and still have family that does. They've been growing Friesen dew, Durban and a couple others I forget for a long time. Best bet is to setup a small greenhouse or even a mini greenhouse.
Check out PeakseedsBC, they carry several strains that do excellent in the Northern climate. Their northern lights does excellent outdoors in Canada.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
You might want to look at some of Dr. Greenthumb Seeds Iranian crosses if you are growing outdoors; Iranian Diesel and Chemo Iranian have done well for me at 45.4° N. Goldmine or Carnage should do well also, but i haven't grown either of them out, personally.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
flu forced me into another Hobby. Living in Nova Scotia, Canada with unruly weather and many obstacles I am getting ready for season two. First on was a total loss but sure learned a lot. Looking for suggestions on strains that will do well in our climate as any great prices on seeds, nutrients etc. Things like is it too early to start my plants to best soil to start them in.. Thanks in advance ..
Hey, I'm 68 living on the South Shore Lunenburg Co I've been at it for years...outdoors here is iffy Oct, cold damp foggy just doesn't cut it for nice healthy finished buds. Last year I built a small A frame plastic tent to cover & a osculating fan running 24/7 maybe 7 weeks before I had to pull them Powdery mildew set in on all my outdoor plants . When I moved a couple in to finish I packed the pm in even after spraying them down with some diluted peroxide they infected my indoor plants. s

Indoors can be very successful if you don't mind our elect prices, I'm a bit over $120/ month now.
The grow-op shop in Dartmouth ( cash only ) has lots of seeds (shhh) and the best nute prices I've found. Better than Steves Hydro by $3-$5 /liter on the General Hydroponics 3 part I use. I bought a pack of 5 Bubble Bomb feminized $36 +tax. I love the Bomb seeds and they're cheap.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

My apologies TheCanadianBear. I automatically assumed you meant indoor.

Peppersmints

Peppersmints

Supporter
For outdoor, with the weather you might be forced to induce flowering by covering them earlier and force a pre-flowering before temperature goes down too fast. You can get way higher quality bud this way, it will take extra work as to depend on how many you want to have. If they remains in pots, you can bring them inside to preserve freezing point near the end. They should be in a fully open space where they get sun all day long.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
For outdoor, with the weather you might be forced to induce flowering by covering them earlier and force a pre-flowering before temperature goes down too fast. You can get way higher quality bud this way, it will take extra work as to depend on how many you want to have. If they remains in pots, you can bring them inside to preserve freezing point near the end. They should be in a fully open space where they get sun all day long.
I like that idea, I had hoped to keep vegging some small ones that I stuck outside for free light last year and had intended on bring them in. I counted twilight & dawn as sun hours....ooops they turned before I brought them in. By mid Aug It was too late.

I could though, with that behind me and do as you suggest by bringing them in at night and putting them out in the AM around Aug 1st. That extra 2 weeks should help dramatically by allowing them to finish early Oct. rather than late Oct. We usually get great Indian summers...đŸ˜„

Peppersmints

Peppersmints

Supporter
I like that idea, I had hoped to keep vegging some small ones that I stuck outside for free light last year and had intended on bring them in. I counted twilight & dawn as sun hours....ooops they turned before I brought them in. By mid Aug It was too late.

I could though, with that behind me and do as you suggest by bringing them in at night and putting them out in the AM around Aug 1st. That extra 2 weeks should help dramatically by allowing them to finish early Oct. rather than late Oct. We usually get great Indian summers...đŸ˜„
Yeah, and depending on the strain you try to visualise the point where you need to flip them to be at your own taste. If you start them earlier, you could even harvest end september. You also may need to help with humidity, as it seem you are a little higher then others environnemental region in canada, surely understandable on a geographic standpoint đŸ˜„

Hez

Hez

Giving 68 a hard shove in the near future LOL. While not a yearly thing for quite a while, first serious grow was when got out of the Navy and moved to the back hills of WV with some interesting plant ovum I brought back from SE Asia and Africa in 81. The real kicker is, though I use it, it's just the tip of the plantberg in my little urban "farm" LOL. Two fig trees, 6 types of berry bushes, asparagus, edible day lilies, and two types strawberry are just the come back producing more every year. Add on the four veggie beds. Try some cross breeding as part of your hobby.. Pretty easy to score seeds these day. If not from a friend or a few strays in that oz, you can buy them on freaking Ebay LOL. A bit different these days than when I first tried it, when an oz was 420 and you could get life busted with more than that. Never thought I'd see the day, but does take away some of the flip off the establishment feel LOL. Got no choice about aging, bro, but sure got a choice about getting old LOL. Party hardy!

Biker Grey Beard Society
Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Get a greenhouse. Even a little pvc hoop house and a heater will save you with as far north as we are!

Latest posts

Top Bottom