Well Water

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dorjewright

dorjewright

what problems will I have useing well/sspring water instead of RO water. Ph is high like between 7&8 but the ppms are around 250. It's been tested and the company said its nicely balanced in terms of mineral content. Anything besides adjusting the ph?

ZONER

ZONER

I use well water and the only thing I do now, is PH the water "AFTER" I mix the nutes into it. Wondered why I was having problems in the beginning with my Hempy Pot with CoCo Coir & Perlite. Well water PH is never constant and I would PH the water then adjust it to 5.8 to 6.0, then add my nutes. Well I wondered what was my PH after I added my nutes... Geez it dropped to 5.01.

So remember boys and girls PH your well water after adding nutes then adjust....your plants will love you for it.....lol

Zoner

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm on a well, roughly the same parameters you mention. I had to go to RO/DI because the hardness (specifically carbonate hardness) really caused me problems. Yeah yeah yeah, I know. The water's got Mg and Ca in it. But not in plant-available forms, that's the key.

So, try it, but if you have problems I say go directly to your source water first when trying to resolve them, instead of doing what I did and chasing your tail for a few grows. That shit can get expensive.

ZONER

ZONER

I'm on a well, roughly the same parameters you mention. I had to go to RO/DI because the hardness (specifically carbonate hardness) really caused me problems. Yeah yeah yeah, I know. The water's got Mg and Ca in it. But not in plant-available forms, that's the key.

So, try it, but if you have problems I say go directly to your source water first when trying to resolve them, instead of doing what I did and chasing your tail for a few grows. That shit can get expensive.
Hello SeaMaiden,
Can you suggest what tests should be done on well water ?
Zoner

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sure. I'd like to see pH, hardness (both carbonate and general), and minerals/mineral levels. County testing doesn't always give you the various hardness results. I use a home aquarium test kit to do some of my tests.

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

I'm in soil Sea, and using well water. Never had it tested, but the ph is 8 plus.. Probably very hard also I'm assuming.. I've always avoided cal mag products thinking they would get plenty from the well water. but about 3 weeks into bloom. I seem to have cal mag issues.. Could it be possible, I need to give them a taste during veg & bloom? I'm just a Fox Farm soil & water guy.. Thanks Sea

ZONER

ZONER

I'm in soil Sea, and using well water. Never had it tested, but the ph is 8 plus.. Probably very hard also I'm assuming.. I've always avoided cal mag products thinking they would get plenty from the well water. but about 3 weeks into bloom. I seem to have cal mag issues.. Could it be possible, I need to give them a taste during veg & bloom? I'm just a Fox Farm soil & water guy.. Thanks Sea
Hope all is well DP, Happly New Year Bro..

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Hope all is well DP, Happly New Year Bro..
Same to you and your's my brother. Just getting back on track. Had some home repairs I couldn't handle.. Had to shut er down for a tad. Hope all is well with you.. No pun intended lol..

ZONER

ZONER

Yup.....had some things go off track......but everything is real good now. Got me a new woman, the other decided she needed a change.......so I gave her 50 cents and showed her the door. No worries she decided to grow for herself now and her younger man ( no job ....ha...ha...ha)

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Yup.....had some things go off track......but everything is real good now. Got me a new woman, the other decided she needed a change.......so I gave her 50 cents and showed her the door. No worries she decided to grow for herself now and her younger man ( no job ....ha...ha...ha)
My hempy's did real good with the well water, and lucas method bro. But yeah, adjusting the ph after the nutes works much better. Glad your back on track bro. I'm thinking of doing another round hempy style. I did have less issues then soil.. Peace my brother.. Best with the new gal.. Hope she's a keeper, or you'll be out 50 cents again lol.. DP

ZONER

ZONER

My hempy's did real good with the well water, and lucas method bro. But yeah, adjusting the ph after the nutes works much better. Glad your back on track bro. I'm thinking of doing another round hempy style. I did have less issues then soil.. Peace my brother.. Best with the new gal.. Hope she's a keeper, or you'll be out 50 cents again lol.. DP
Next I want to check the TDS in the well water.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, I would think this is the case.

ZONER

ZONER

Same here Z. I just have a ph pen. Might upgrade to a better one. I need to school myself on TDS & ppm's.
Ordered this one should get it by Monday

hermit186

hermit186

Before I do anything I would have it re-analyzed (by a nutrient orientated Lab)if you want a drinking water test use the local Agro Department, your not drinking it. See what you got all you may need is a carbon filter which is cheeper to buy and to operate. I am like a lot I have to use RO water because of my water. At another place just 12 miles away my ma sent hers to have analyzed. She has two filter's. I bring this up for the fact that some RO units are 5 gal waist to 1 gal of Usable some are less but not lower than 3 to 1. The less waist the more expensive the membrane. 250ppm is considered hard water to most nutrients manufacture's for weed. @ about 285ppm it should rattle in the glass but with an even balance it should be in tune. Before I started using Jacks I used a EC,TDS,PH meters and you should get a good one and calibrate monthly. Now days I use the PH meter to tell me when to change the carbon filter in RO device. The rest are sitting in the corner. I don't recommend this till you know your water and have been doing this for a very long time, in your case test everything often learn in time yours will end up in the same place.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I run my well water through a big blue filter with a kdf cartridge and a UV filter. It comes out of there at about 250 ppm but my ph is about 6.5. When I moved here I sent a sample for analysis and was pretty pleased with the results.

I just mix up my nutes and then k my ph and adjust if necessary. I actually RARELY have to adjust anything unless I am using RO or Dehuey water.

Top Bottom