West coast is getting rained on, are you harvesting early?

• Thread starter fractal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fractal

fractal

A friend told me to day that mendocino county was getting some hardcore rain and growers were beginning to harvest already. I was bummed to hear that because obviously it is a bit early. Does anybody hear know a grower who is pulling their crop because of the rains?

Is there any type of general rule about rain and buds? Is a few hours of light rain the same threat as a day of blowing sideways rain? I have some early plants that are close to done but would prefer not to cut them yet ,and it just rained for maybe 2 or 3 hours in my area and not too hard of a rain.

O

ODGG

ieither before the rain or your better off waiting till they dry out a bit.... if you harvest while they are wet you are gonna regret the mess and the length of time to dry em out, and possibly causing yourself mold problems. if it rained already, your better off letting them do there thing unless a HUGE monsoon is on its ways.

I let them go because they are staked up, i am confident in my stakes...... unless its REALLY bad.... that being sad, i try to harvest according to the weather when i havent had rain for about 3-5 days.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
First day of rain in spain also today :( just moved all my plants indoors

T

the Rock

It rained alot last night(santa cruz co.) but today is just another beautiful day(mid 70s). Like said above dont nut too early/no more rain in sight

R

Rolln J

rained here in the sierras - the rain isnt the worst part usually its the wind that tears shit up - it rained overnight here and was sunny in the am - so you can go out and shake your plants to get excess water off of them and the will prolly dry out and be ok, unless they are blown over sitting in the mud.

THECALI.KID

THECALI.KID

The sierra foothills to happy grow brought all my girls in last night when i seen the news long night but worth it i fill rain runes the look of the final product from my past The Cali. Kid

R

Rolln J

The sierra foothills to happy grow brought all my girls in last night when i seen the news long night but worth it i fill rain runes the look of the final product from my past The Cali. Kid

the beauty of growing in containers... nice...

R

ReelBusy1

the beauty of growing in containers... nice...

only way to roll.
That and a big roofed porch as back up.

No rain in SoCal but it is cloudy out so I can't tan properly and the pool is chilly....
:)

O

ograskal

wow that sucks..You guys ever thought of growin in greenhouses?...~ogr

R

Rolln J

wow that sucks..You guys ever thought of growin in greenhouses?...~ogr

its bad enough the temps get 110 and over up here - would be much hotter in a greenhouse

I grow indoors because Im a control freak.

D

DaNK aROMa

Yeah, rained a bit last night here in Santa Cruz, I went out in the morning and shook 'em off and they were lookin' super when I got back home...rain is gonna happen, not gonna make me harvest earlier than planned! :)

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

the news dudes keep saying El Nino this winter , maybe so! ?

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

We all need to plant some seeds in the burn area's to hold the hills....
So when El nino comes people wont loose there house's from mud slides

B

bicycle racer

i recently rinsed my outdoor hempy bucket plants purposely as they were covered in ash from the socal fires sadly the weight of the water snapped two branches on my larry og/pre98 bubba kush girl which is producing seeds with pollen from a purple urkel/white widow cross. anyways i staked the other branches the buds are large and heavy so i fear wind and rain. outdoor grown bud does not have the visual appeal of indoor stock but offers a special high not to mention yield. the broken branches i put in water with superthrive with the naive hope they have enough energy to mature and finish the seeds i realize this is wishful thinking but the branches that broke will yield at least a 1/2 ounce dry plus hundreds of seeds. worst case scenario i will make bho with the early buds for some good daytime low cbd extract such is life. the lesson for me is next time tomato cages will be used problem averted.

T

themist

Is there any type of general rule about rain and buds? Is a few hours of light rain the same threat as a day of blowing sideways rain?

Personally, I'm more scared of the light rain than the thunderstorms. Most thunderstorms come accompanied with good winds, which I always thought helped since it keeps the plants from building up too much water on the buds. The only places I've had problems with mold were near swampy areas that don't get any wind because of the surrounding woods and brush.

I'm on the east coast, and the rain has been awesome this year. And, then it got to be budding season, and the rain ain't so cute anymore. The only thing you can do, if you're scared, is go out there and shake 'em off every time it rains.

Good luck!

BansheeRider

BansheeRider

first we had 2 straight months of torrid weather, so hot that the plants stopped growing, and then the first day of cool weather we get mad rain.....ive been putting them inside once it gets dark so they dont get hit by nightime showers

H

HB Dave

Containers and a outside tent for the win, I am actually starting a new build project today, gonna build a wood shed for them, 6x8x8, hope to have it done in the next few days before my trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom