What’s going on with my plants? Purple and dying?

• Thread starter TonyWilson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TonyWilson

TonyWilson

Hey there I fertilized my plants over a month ago with promix 4-4-8 organic slow real ease fertilizer and after that my plants started to turn yellow and wilt and leaves dying, I was told probably nutrient burn so I’ve been trying to flush them all out. Since then multiple still are dying (I still am flushing) and multiple are turning purplish all over, or at least dark colours. Im wondering is this a deficiency, abundance or just like nute burn? Any help is appreciated:) this is my first grow

Whats going on with my plants purple and dying
Whats going on with my plants purple and dying 2
Whats going on with my plants purple and dying 3
Whats going on with my plants purple and dying 4
Whats going on with my plants purple and dying 5
Whats going on with my plants purple and dying 6
TonyWilson

TonyWilson

Also I’m in Canada and it has gotten pretty cold a couple nights probably hovering around 2°C, could that be a reason?

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

Also I’m in Canada and it has gotten pretty cold a couple nights probably hovering around 2°C, could that be a reason?
Have you checked PH via run off? I find that to be the number 1 reason for nutrient deficiencies.
And the cold is probably causing the purple, like fall leaves.

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

Have you checked PH via run off? I find that to be the number 1 reason for nutrient deficiencies.
And the cold is probably causing the purple, like fall leaves.
At this stage, unless you're going to bring them in, I would just water only, and let them eat themselves until harvest.

TonyWilson

TonyWilson

At this stage, unless you're going to bring them in, I would just water only, and let them eat themselves until harvest.
Okay thanks for the input, I don’t have a PH tester for water I’m going to order one right now I definitely need one. I have a cheap soil PH tester and it said all of them were at a PH of 8. Not sure how accurate but anyway, I’m gonna buy some measurement tools for this and future grows, do you have any brand suggestions?

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

Okay thanks for the input, I don’t have a PH tester for water I’m going to order one right now I definitely need one. I have a cheap soil PH tester and it said all of them were at a PH of 8. Not sure how accurate but anyway, I’m gonna buy some measurement tools for this and future grows, do you have any brand suggestions?
Yeah, thats way too high. Thats calcium CALMAG, what I call antacid.
It's locking all the other nutrients out, and may have already killed your roots.
Those last ones should finish, tho, just diminished yield.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

unfortunately I believe that's your issue, this purpling is from the cold and is a natural response in many strains
Screenshot 20200921 175735 Chrome

It's possible that the dying leaves could also be from the cold, whereas it seemed to happen right after the cold spell and it was ok before that I think that's a reasonable assumption

If that were my plant I wouldn't be flushing it I would be feeding it, good luck!

TonyWilson

TonyWilson

Yeah, thats way too high. Thats calcium CALMAG, what I call antacid.
It's locking all the other nutrients out, and may have already killed your roots.
Those last ones should finish, tho, just diminished yield.
Hm okay would that be from just watering with wrong PH’d water you think?

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

With a PH of 8, I doubt there's much can be done. Once it's at this stage, there's not much root growth, or any veg growth, coupled with the cold weather, it will never recover, or be able to eat anything other than it's own stores.

TonyWilson

TonyWilson

unfortunately I believe that's your issue, this purpling is from the cold and is a natural response in many strains
View attachment 1034062

It's possible that the dying leaves could also be from the cold, whereas it seemed to happen right after the cold spell and it was ok before that I think that's a reasonable assumption

If that were my plant I wouldn't be flushing it I would be feeding it, good luck!
Yeah the purple leaves was in line with the cold, the wilting, browning and yellowing leaves happened a good amount before when it was still pretty warm out all night. You think I should feed them more with the same nutes?

TonyWilson

TonyWilson

With a PH of 8, I doubt there's much can be done. Once it's at this stage, there's not much root growth, or any veg growth, coupled with the cold weather, it will never recover, or be able to eat anything other than it's own stores.
Okay do you know what would have caused a PH so high in the first place though?

Jermamma420

Jermamma420

Okay do you know what would have caused a PH so high in the first place though?
Possibly the last slow release fertilizer you added.
" The addition of potash in soil is crucial where the pH is alkaline. Potash fertilizer increases the pH in soil, so it should not be used on acid loving plants"

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yeah the purple leaves was in line with the cold, the wilting, browning and yellowing leaves happened a good amount before when it was still pretty warm out all night. You think I should feed them more with the same nutes?
in that case it seems you've been starving them I would feed them with some liquid nutes that they could absorb right away, they've still got a ways to go you might want to check out the 2020 outdoor plants thread from Dirtbag there's a ton of tips on how to deal with the cold, good luck

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Flushing was not likely a great idea. Especially when its cold, water is a better conductor of heat than air so a swamped wet rootzone will get colder faster than a drier rootzone.
And I agree they probably need to get fed.

Something else that can help which might be a bit too next level but ill throw it out there, is using heat tape around the pots and plugging it into an itc-308 temp controller to keep the roots warm. Or even digging a hole in the ground, stick the pot in the hole and bury it.

Top Bottom