What’s the day seeds should be good to go outdoors ?

• Thread starter Jrod2676
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Is tis the season yet to start planting outdoors ? If not when ??

TSD

TSD

I'm zone 4 and anything before late May/ early June is risky... we just got like 2 inches of snow last night. Over it. Michigan is parallel with some of NY, so depending where you are, you're from zone 4-6.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Growing zone and latitude is more of a generalization for frost. There is more spesific information for your general location available. Even if you are on a similar parallel as upstate NY you will have different lake effect weather that will alter the equation. If there are farms in your area it's worth going to talk to some of them about weather patterns over the past decades and what they think about the coming season. You may have to work with them to get their attention, but I have never turned away a volunteer on my farm because free labor.

TSD

TSD

Growing zone and latitude is more of a generalization for frost. There is more spesific information for your general location available. Even if you are on a similar parallel as upstate NY you will have different lake effect weather that will alter the equation. If there are farms in your area it's worth going to talk to some of them about weather patterns over the past decades and what they think about the coming season. You may have to work with them to get their attention, but I have never turned away a volunteer on my farm because free labor.
It is, but it's a good starting point. The farmer's almanac is also worth taking a glance at.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Almanac and general growing zones are great resourses. And there's no reason to over think it. I don't know anything about your area. If you've had hard frosts in May, wait until June.

TSD

TSD

Almanac and general growing zones are great resourses. And there's no reason to over think it. I don't know anything about your area. If you've had hard frosts in May, wait until June.
Better safe than sorry. I got bored last year due to flu and started my vegetables too early, and put them out too early because I wasn't transplanting all that shit and keeping it inside... they got hit with a cold snap mid May and all the delicate shit died.. I'm practically in Canada. It's so hard to be patient sometimes lol.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Better safe than sorry. I got bored last year due to flu and started my vegetables too early, and put them out too early because I wasn't transplanting all that shit and keeping it inside... they got hit with a cold snap mid May and all the delicate shit died.. I'm practically in Canada. It's so hard to be patient sometimes lol.

If you're that far up there are definitely farmers around to talk to. When I started in agriculture I worked for a brilliant and terrifying man, he did nothing but discourage me from working for him for about two months. After that he was an open book to all of his knowledge espcially while working in the rows. I still call him years later for advice and guidance. A lot of horticultural and agricultural knowledge is locked away inside the heads of ancient men, if you want it, it's there.

You don't have to upend your life or career, but putting in some work with guys who have been growing plants in your area for years is worth the time and relationship, especially if you are going to be growing outside.

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Okay . So to everyone commenting . I wanna grow my and the newest dolato strain , that yields heavy outdoors . That being said , id like to have all those seeds /at teen age ,ready to go outside for outdoor season growth. Would it be safe to say , I could / should start these seeds under blurple uv lighting this week , to have em ready to move outside for outdoor season. ??? Or waittt 2 or 3 weeks???

stickyfingers1

stickyfingers1

Me 43.6532° N, 79.3832° W. May 24th is a safe bet along the 43rd parallel.

Any early there's the risk of frost. But also premature flowering.

Farmer88

Farmer88

Okay . So to everyone commenting . I wanna grow my and the newest dolato strain , that yields heavy outdoors . That being said , id like to have all those seeds /at teen age ,ready to go outside for outdoor season growth. Would it be safe to say , I could / should start these seeds under blurple uv lighting this week , to have em ready to move outside for outdoor season. ??? Or waittt 2 or 3 weeks???

Yes

TSD

TSD

If you're that far up there are definitely farmers around to talk to. When I started in agriculture I worked for a brilliant and terrifying man, he did nothing but discourage me from working for him for about two months. After that he was an open book to all of his knowledge espcially while working in the rows. I still call him years later for advice and guidance. A lot of horticultural and agricultural knowledge is locked away inside the heads of ancient men, if you want it, it's there.

You don't have to upend your life or career, but putting in some work with guys who have been growing plants in your area for years is worth the time and relationship, especially if you are going to be growing outside.
No doubt. I'm pretty comfortable with most things, my mom taught me a lot and I've been gardening for some years now... last year was the first time I've grown weed in over a decade, due to my husband's career. Love learning tips and tricks on this forum though!

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

Houston . We have a 100% 29 hr germination sucess rate ! 😩😭 completely came up with it making a touch or 1”2 to wet paper towel. Insane what’s the world record ?🧐

Madmax

Madmax

They going in the ground or in pots?.when i put em out early i make a mini hot house with ventilation and put them in over nite ..they are pretty hardy ive had seedlings out in frost that never killed them..its not so much the frost its the quick thaw that snaps them.....

Top Bottom