What’s the deal with Herm Seeds? (Bag Seed)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

I've never head hermie issues ever. Like ever. Until I bought seeds from. Let's just call the website Mr.Beeds... and they all dropped seeds. Went back to clones. No seeds. No herms. No mutants. So yeah. It's the people selling their bunk seeds. Making weed worse.
My last late nanner plants were from landrace Mexican, I was planning on crossing with Indica. Made hundreds of seeds that I'll never plant. I ended up, tossing them and planting a landrace Colombian that never hermed and made some amazing hybrids. I'm gonna try the frozen pollen on my LSD in a couple weeks. Colombian Acid for the win haha.

BDH420

BDH420

Half way through the summer my neighbor moved out and the new family keeps their flood lights on all night. I also have 4 other yards that connect to mine 3 or the 4 grew cannabis. I got about 3 seeds per ounce i harvested. I have around 17 viable dino egg seeds. I have no clue if they hermied out on me or if some neighbor didn't pull a male. I'm leaning more towards hermi as the neighbor's flood lights have been on for 6 months straight even during the day. I won the cultivar on instagram so I popped all my beans. I didn't think I was going to love this cultivar so much. So I'm happy I have some more seeds for next year. I just hope they don't herm out on me again.

Dothraki

Dothraki

So my takeaway is this...

Bag seed is no more risky than 80% of the seeds you can buy, since most of them are just pollen chucking heathens grabbing for easy money with unstable shit genetics anyway. But a well established gene line done the proper way will produce a smaller number of possible phenos and be less likely to herm, more predictable, but still have to hope you get the good pheno you want which is still a craps shoot...and since we are seeking out bud we smoked from clones that were 1 in a Million phenotype, it’s likely that you won’t get the same thing anyway even if the clone was self pollinated and self crossed.

In retrospect... most people’s first grows were probably from bag seed...especially before it became legal. That raises the probability of a bad impression if the grow went south or produced herms from stress etc. which could be due to improper conditions and nothing to do with the seed. After all, cannabis herming is natural to the plant and is part of its natural evolution and how it survived. It would be interesting to do a study on genos that herm traits were bred out of, against herm susceptible genes and see if there is a trend where herm prone genes produce more or different terps and cannabinoids.

Bottom line...I won’t know until I test it for myself a handful of times. I bet the true answer, taking eeeeverything into account, lies somewhere in the middle with variables that need to be established such as “which strain from which breeder are you comparing your odds to?” While the bag seed would remain the constant as in you don’t know if it was pollinated or stressed etc. But at least you know, worst case, half of the genetics it came from because you smoked it. There’s too much conflicting information and opinions but no direct scientific answer, at least not that I can find. So I guess it depends but seems you have just as good a chance getting something worth keeping from bag seed as you would buying from all these big seed banks and unknown ”breeders”.

BDH420

BDH420

But it can be tossed before affecting other plants if monitored properly correct? If that’s the case I see no harm in giving it a shot for the luck of the draw. It’s only for personal use so I’m not cloning or anything.

What do you think? It’s my first time so I’m not sure if this is normal.
My first grow was a random bag seed in 1995 from super skunk. My friends parents grew It and I got 1 random seed out of a QP. It came out amazing no herm or anything. But like others have said. Its the luck of the draw. Nothing wrong with it for personal use. Seeds can be expensive. Times are tough for most. Good luck I hope you get some stanky dank from it.

BDH420

BDH420

So my takeaway is this...

Bag seed is no more risky than 80% of the seeds you can buy, since most of them are just pollen chucking heathens grabbing for easy money with unstable shit genetics anyway. But a well established gene line done the proper way will produce a smaller number of possible phenos and be less likely to herm, more predictable, but still have to hope you get the good pheno you want which is still a craps shoot...and since we are seeking out bud we smoked from clones that were 1 in a Million phenotype, it’s likely that you won’t get the same thing anyway even if the clone was self pollinated and self crossed.

In retrospect... most people’s first grows were probably from bag seed...especially before it became legal. That raises the probability of a bad impression if the grow went south or produced herms from stress etc. which could be due to improper conditions and nothing to do with the seed. After all, cannabis herming is natural to the plant and is part of its natural evolution and how it survived. It would be interesting to do a study on genos that herm traits were bred out of, against herm susceptible genes and see if there is a trend where herm prone genes produce more or different terps and cannabinoids.

Bottom line...I won’t know until I test it for myself a handful of times. I bet the true answer, taking eeeeverything into account, lies somewhere in the middle with variables that need to be established such as “which strain from which breeder are you comparing your odds to?” While the bag seed would remain the constant as in you don’t know if it was pollinated or stressed etc. But at least you know, worst case, half of the genetics it came from because you smoked it. There’s too much conflicting information and opinions but no direct scientific answer, at least not that I can find. So I guess it depends but seems you have just as good a chance getting something worth keeping from bag seed as you would buying from all these big seed banks and unknown ”breeders”.
100% espesially the pollan chuckers. lol This is why someone like Crocket gets top dollar for their well established genetics.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Bag seeds from 15 years ago were way dif and much more stable than most seeds of today. Genetics are #1 imo. Lots of good stuff floating around the farm hang out maybe something amazing will find you and when it does. Clone it. U need a tiny bit of space to take cuts and very little light.

Dothraki

Dothraki

100% espesially the pollan chuckers. lol This is why someone like Crocket gets top dollar for their well established genetics.
I went with Humboldt Seed Company...so it’ll be interesting to compare the bag seed experience with a highly regarded breeder...for my own amusement, not that it would necessarily solidify any conclusions lol. But still fun to see.

Dye

Dye

I went with Humboldt Seed Company...so it’ll be interesting to compare the bag seed experience with a highly regarded breeder...for my own amusement, not that it would necessarily solidify any conclusions lol. But still fun to see.
Did they still have gods gift strain I think it’s called, great tasting indica.