What’s the deal with Herm Seeds? (Bag Seed)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

I have a seed from one of my favorite strains and it was amazing flower. As I understand, bag seed will give you hermaphrodite seeds. I‘m ok with that as long as it doesn’t pollinate my other plants or grow full of seeds. But I’m still not clear on the following...

1: If a herm will pollinate all the other plants including itself...why can I have a bag of awesome dank flowers with only a seed here or there if I sift through it.

2: Is there some sort of maintenance needed to prevent it from going full seedbud? Assuming all Herms are equal...or is it a luck of the draw thing where some herms are full of seeds and some only have a few here and there?

3: What are the odds it would be similar to the flower it came from...assuming it was hermed from stress and not pollinated from a male?

4: I always hear people say to rip out the herm from the tent and destroy it...but I’ve had some killer bud that I’ve found a few seeds in...like 3 or 4 in a 8th. So what’s the deal?

Anthem

Anthem

I have a seed from one of my favorite strains and it was amazing flower. As I understand, bag seed will give you hermaphrodite seeds. I‘m ok with that as long as it doesn’t pollinate my other plants or grow full of seeds. But I’m still not clear on the following...

1: If a herm will pollinate all the other plants including itself...why can I have a bag of awesome dank flowers with only a seed here or there if I sift through it.

2: Is there some sort of maintenance needed to prevent it from going full seedbud? Assuming all Herms are equal...or is it a luck of the draw thing where some herms are full of seeds and some only have a few here and there?

3: What are the odds it would be similar to the flower it came from...assuming it was hermed from stress and not pollinated from a male?

4: I always hear people say to rip out the herm from the tent and destroy it...but I’ve had some killer bud that I’ve found a few seeds in...like 3 or 4 in a 8th. So what’s the deal?
#1. A seed from a hermaphrodite will not product the same quality as the mother. It will carry the hermaphrodite trait and it could increase or decrease the degree of hermaphrodite. It is all a crap shoot, why so many people want stable genetics and they will take clones and run the same plant again and again.
#2. Luck of the draw
#3. See #1
#4. It depends on the grower and the location. A couple seeds getting into the finish product can really hurt some peoples reputation
Grow out a seed from a bag of weed you bought is not really the smartest thing to do with other plants in the same tent. Yes you could be lucky and everything goes great and no or just one or two seeds. Then again your seed from a bag could have been sifted thru and a couple got thru. A good grower can look at a bud and tell there are seeds in the buds and they can also remove them so others do not know there was a seed in the buds, provided there were only a few. But growing out bag seeds is just not real smart. A seed is like what 12 bucks or 15 bucks and if you play your cards right you can basically use the same genetics for years.
Most of the time when people come on this site and start complaining about seeds and bad genetics, the first thing they need to do is look at themselves and see what they could have done to create the situation for the plant to hermaphrodite in the first place. Light Leaks are not your friend. Consider putting your tent in a room that gets NO Light at all. Even the best tents out there have light leaks. So next time you have your tent empty go inside and have some shine a bright light on all 4 sides and the roof from the outside and see if you get any light leaks. #1 cause of the issue is this.

growsince79

growsince79

Could be the best bud you ever had-or maybe not. Luck of the draw I guess.

Dothraki

Dothraki

#1. A seed from a hermaphrodite will not product the same quality as the mother. It will carry the hermaphrodite trait and it could increase or decrease the degree of hermaphrodite. It is all a crap shoot, why so many people want stable genetics and they will take clones and run the same plant again and again.
#2. Luck of the draw
#3. See #1
#4. It depends on the grower and the location. A couple seeds getting into the finish product can really hurt some peoples reputation
Grow out a seed from a bag of weed you bought is not really the smartest thing to do with other plants in the same tent. Yes you could be lucky and everything goes great and no or just one or two seeds. Then again your seed from a bag could have been sifted thru and a couple got thru. A good grower can look at a bud and tell there are seeds in the buds and they can also remove them so others do not know there was a seed in the buds, provided there were only a few. But growing out bag seeds is just not real smart. A seed is like what 12 bucks or 15 bucks and if you play your cards right you can basically use the same genetics for years.
Most of the time when people come on this site and start complaining about seeds and bad genetics, the first thing they need to do is look at themselves and see what they could have done to create the situation for the plant to hermaphrodite in the first place. Light Leaks are not your friend. Consider putting your tent in a room that gets NO Light at all. Even the best tents out there have light leaks. So next time you have your tent empty go inside and have some shine a bright light on all 4 sides and the roof from the outside and see if you get any light leaks. #1 cause of the issue is this.
Could be the best bud you ever had-or maybe not. Luck of the draw I guess.
Cool, thanks guys. I found the seeds breaking apart the bud with my fingers to a fine grind. I doubt many people would’ve found these seeds, even when breaking apart the bud. When trying to break the little piece of bud in half again with my thumbnail I didn’t realize it was a seed until it split through the tight coat of plant matter around it, they could’ve easily been smoked lol....popcorn!

The reason I’d like to grow it is because I can’t buy seeds of this strain, there are different versions from different parents and I want the strong fuel terps from the diesel side, which as I understand are very rare or maybe gone forever. Like how skunk disappeared. The strain was a sour diesel hybrid that had a nice strong fuel aroma.

Ponky

Ponky

The seeds will all be different from each other. You could select and breed them and try for clones that drop fewer seeds. But that genetic abhoration is there. These plants also tend to get fungus.

growsince79

growsince79

Cool, thanks guys. I found the seeds breaking apart the bud with my fingers to a fine grind. I doubt many people would’ve found these seeds, even when breaking apart the bud. When trying to break the little piece of bud in half again with my thumbnail I didn’t realize it was a seed until it split through the tight coat of plant matter around it, they could’ve easily been smoked lol....popcorn!

The reason I’d like to grow it is because I can’t buy seeds of this strain, there are different versions from different parents and I want the strong fuel terps from the diesel side, which as I understand are very rare or maybe gone forever. Like how skunk disappeared. The strain was a sour diesel hybrid that had a nice strong fuel aroma.
Couple years ago I planted some skunky indica bagseed and crossed them to store bought male to make thousands of seeds. So far they have all been excellent and no herms. I'm trying this one for the first time.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Couple years ago I planted some skunky indica bagseed and crossed them to store bought male to make thousands of seeds. So far they have all been excellent and no herms. I'm trying this one for the first time.
Oh that’s awesome, it sucks that some of those great strains like skunk, chocolate Thai, aren’t around anymore. I can’t even find a sour diesel and I’m on the east coast! Right in the epicenter of Sour Diesel...at least it used to be. I’m sure in the city it’s easier to find but seems like everyone is more into cookies and cakes (which I do love...) but we need the skunks and Thais and diesels there too.

grnmtn

grnmtn

I have noticed different types of herms and some that shoot bananas and some that produce male type pollen sacs.

Genetic herms that I have seen usually stand out in some way compared to the others. Usually the biggest and fastest growing plants or the opposite. Will produce a ton of seeds and pollen sacs.

Stress induced herms. Caused by human error pertaining to environmental factors such as light leak, overfeeding, too intense lighting, over pruning, hot / cold extremes or 100 other factors. This type of herm is most likely the reason for just a couple seeds the buds. This type varies from a single nanner to a plant full of pollen sacs.

elduderito

elduderito

what makes you think it's a 'herm' seed? Do you know who grew it? could've been an accidental male pollination ....

l don't why people shit on bag seed ... forgetting that several elite clones that would birth the chemdog line came from a handful of bag seeds .... then later being accidentally pollinated by a Mass. Super Skunk to become sour diesel...

all of today's genetics are a result of 'bagseed'

Dothraki

Dothraki

what makes you think it's a 'herm' seed? Do you know who grew it? could've been an accidental male pollination ....

l don't why people shit on bag seed ... forgetting that several elite clones that would birth the chemdog line came from a handful of bag seeds .... then later being accidentally pollinated by a Mass. Super Skunk to become sour diesel...

all of today's genetics are a result of 'bagseed'
Well I’d think if it was pollinated the plant would be full of seeds. Can pollination happen and only produce a seed or 3? I don’t think anyone is shitting on bag seed....it’s just the science of the plant and the likeliness of becoming infested with seeds. The idea of bag seed is sorta exciting because...especially if it came from fire, you don’t know what to expect and it might be a killer strain.

Reactions: TSD
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I got lucky with one bag seed from my skunk one plant. After growing it out it wasn’t a self seed but was pollinated from a Gg4 clone. Anyway it turned out a smelling like a tootsie roll. The sweet feom the skunk and the chocolate from the gg4😁

C0FE8104 01E2 4130 8C6B 8BF2626C65E9
06F802AB 984D 4EF0 8B04 E129A8602185
C0E294F9 E130 4356 A85D 2E496A63D881
OlBallcoach

OlBallcoach

I have a friend that has only ever grown bag seed ..outdoor only . some good some great .. just a mystery cuz we don’t have the official strain name of it.,..
side note I’m old newbie, wth do I kno.

elduderito

elduderito

Well I’d think if it was pollinated the plant would be full of seeds. Can pollination happen and only produce a seed or 3? I don’t think anyone is shitting on bag seed....it’s just the science of the plant and the likeliness of becoming infested with seeds. The idea of bag seed is sorta exciting because...especially if it came from fire, you don’t know what to expect and it might be a killer strain.

yes - only a few seeds is possible ...

I don't know about the science of the plant and likeliness of becoming infested with seed .... all I'm saying is that bag seed could be the result of a.) pollen from a male plant b.) pollen from itself (herm/selfed) c.) pollen from another female (herm)

Dothraki

Dothraki

yes - only a few seeds is possible ...

I don't know about the science of the plant and likeliness of becoming infested with seed .... all I'm saying is that bag seed could be the result of a.) pollen from a male plant b.) pollen from itself (herm/selfed) c.) pollen from another female (herm)
I’ll have to pay close attention when it gets to the phase when I can identify sex. I really don’t want to impregnate my first grow lol.

elduderito

elduderito

well with any seed really you want to be paying close attention throughout flower --- I've had an experience with seeds from reputable breeders where one plant had some pollen sacks low on the branches in about week 3-4 ....

later in flower you may also find bananas (or nanners), I've had a few on some plants - sometimes pollinating and causing a few seeds, sometimes finding no seeds.... not all pollen is viable, and not all nanners drop pollen ...

Dothraki

Dothraki

well with any seed really you want to be paying close attention throughout flower --- I've had an experience with seeds from reputable breeders where one plant had some pollen sacks low on the branches in about week 3-4 ....

later in flower you may also find bananas (or nanners), I've had a few on some plants - sometimes pollinating and causing a few seeds, sometimes finding no seeds.... not all pollen is viable, and not all nanners drop pollen ...
Any idea what would cause cotyledon leaves to canoe up? Looks like mine are starting to canoe a day after the first true leaves appeared (which are like a light green)

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
heres the thing, it came in a bag and you dont know what made it. so half its genetics came from its mom, and if that is what hermied then it got all its genetics from that plant. but if some other random pollen got there, you dont know.

all that and it is a crap shoot on good-ness.

but it is also from a plant that hermied. if this is a normal trait of that plant, it will be nothing but trouble, but you wont know till you are chasing hermies

the seed thing, you get a seed from a particle of pollen. if it has seed pods, that can be a lot of pollen and with fans and all you will have seeds and the smoke will pop and crack all over

if it is nanners, that is the seed pod without the outter sack. so when you first see it, the nanner has been putting out a constant, albeit small, amount of pollen and you have pollen somewhere making a seed. if you catch it fast, you may have 10 seeds on a bud, but if you dont, you might have a few seeds everywhere. in all stages of development too.

then those seeds have more of a chance of hermie...

if you do it, we will see you back asking how to make it stop

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I have been curious about this question as well. So first off the pollen from a male and pollen from a hermi are different? Makes no sense to me pollen is pollen right? There has to be a difference if the plant genetics caused the hermi or if it was stress induced. I did a run with bag seeds and got nanners but I also found out at the end my heater had a light I didn’t realize it had so that definitely could have caused the nanners. I’m going to run the seeds I got outside next summer and see what happens. It’s definitely a game of unknown but if it’s your own purse it’s not a big deal and may be worth experimenting down the road probably not on first run.

Dothraki

Dothraki

heres the thing, it came in a bag and you dont know what made it. so half its genetics came from its mom, and if that is what hermied then it got all its genetics from that plant. but if some other random pollen got there, you dont know.

all that and it is a crap shoot on good-ness.

but it is also from a plant that hermied. if this is a normal trait of that plant, it will be nothing but trouble, but you wont know till you are chasing hermies

the seed thing, you get a seed from a particle of pollen. if it has seed pods, that can be a lot of pollen and with fans and all you will have seeds and the smoke will pop and crack all over

if it is nanners, that is the seed pod without the outter sack. so when you first see it, the nanner has been putting out a constant, albeit small, amount of pollen and you have pollen somewhere making a seed. if you catch it fast, you may have 10 seeds on a bud, but if you dont, you might have a few seeds everywhere. in all stages of development too.

then those seeds have more of a chance of hermie...

if you do it, we will see you back asking how to make it stop
But it can be tossed before affecting other plants if monitored properly correct? If that’s the case I see no harm in giving it a shot for the luck of the draw. It’s only for personal use so I’m not cloning or anything.

Too much light and or heat.
What do you think? It’s my first time so I’m not sure if this is normal.

0D228E0A 4F24 4176 B295 D5D5E4F35CCC
E7AC35AF A10C 408F 98A4 6701F1F2DE75

Top Bottom