What’s the deal with Herm Seeds? (Bag Seed)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
elduderito

elduderito

if it is nanners, that is the seed pod without the outter sack. so when you first see it, the nanner has been putting out a constant, albeit small, amount of pollen and you have pollen somewhere making a seed. if you catch it fast, you may have 10 seeds on a bud, but if you dont, you might have a few seeds everywhere. in all stages of development too.
false - you can have nanners without having seeds, you can also have pollen sacks without having seeds, you can even have open pollen sacks, with pollen and no seeds...

growsince79

growsince79

Well I’d think if it was pollinated the plant would be full of seeds. Can pollination happen and only produce a seed or 3? I don’t think anyone is shitting on bag seed....it’s just the science of the plant and the likeliness of becoming infested with seeds. The idea of bag seed is sorta exciting because...especially if it came from fire, you don’t know what to expect and it might be a killer strain.
LOL Don't know what to expect from store bought either.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
nanners are the insides of the pollen sac. they just dont have the sac to catch the pollen, so it puts out pollen as soon as it forms, and that is way before you see it. some nanners might put out a sterile pollen, but you wont know till it happens.

I have been curious about this question as well. So first off the pollen from a male and pollen from a hermi are different? Makes no sense to me pollen is pollen right? There has to be a difference if the plant genetics caused the hermi or if it was stress induced. I did a run with bag seeds and got nanners but I also found out at the end my heater had a light I didn’t realize it had so that definitely could have caused the nanners. I’m going to run the seeds I got outside next summer and see what happens. It’s definitely a game of unknown but if it’s your own purse it’s not a big deal and may be worth experimenting down the road probably not on first run.
no, pollen is pollen. how it accumulates, when it hits, and how it interacts are different though. if it is a nanner late in flower, it might not be viable... it might though. if if has nanners and then you cut in a week, you have little pop rocks all through it.

the thing is, is that a 1st gen hermie, or worse? is it from the field across the way and that was hemp? you havent a clue. heck, they could have added the seed in some trash to make weight. you can spend a buck fitty and get a good seed, take clones and never buy again.

if stress induced, it has that gene and it got "turned on" with stress. if it is good, it wont have that gene, so even stressed it wont do it.

most are somewhere between no genetic propensity, to a whole bunch.

you take that chance, and you know it started with a seed that wasnt suppose to be there. it is just making sure you understand what you are getting into. go for it if you still think it is a good idea.

@Poekie sells seeds pretty cheap and small amounts, never had a problem with any. i find it better than going down that rabbit hole.

Dothraki

Dothraki

nanners are the insides of the pollen sac. they just dont have the sac to catch the pollen, so it puts out pollen as soon as it forms, and that is way before you see it. some nanners might put out a sterile pollen, but you wont know till it happens.

no, pollen is pollen. how it accumulates, when it hits, and how it interacts are different though. if it is a nanner late in flower, it might not be viable... it might though. if if has nanners and then you cut in a week, you have little pop rocks all through it.

the thing is, is that a 1st gen hermie, or worse? is it from the field across the way and that was hemp? you havent a clue. heck, they could have added the seed in some trash to make weight. you can spend a buck fitty and get a good seed, take clones and never buy again.

if stress induced, it has that gene and it got "turned on" with stress. if it is good, it wont have that gene, so even stressed it wont do it.

most are somewhere between no genetic propensity, to a whole bunch.

you take that chance, and you know it started with a seed that wasnt suppose to be there. it is just making sure you understand what you are getting into. go for it if you still think it is a good idea.

@Poekie sells seeds pretty cheap and small amounts, never had a problem with any. i find it better than going down that rabbit hole.
One thing is for sure...it wasn’t put there, and the flower was top shelf genetic quality. But I get it... it could hermie or be male. But if it is I’ll just toss it so not to affect my other plants. Truth is it doesn’t seem that you can find good stinky diesel strains anymore and seeds sold as such seem to disappoint based on reviews and discussions. Unless it’s super difficult to spot before removing...it’s a no-brainer in my opinion.

growsince79

growsince79

One thing is for sure...it wasn’t put there, and the flower was top shelf genetic quality. But I get it... it could hermie or be male. But if it is I’ll just toss it so not to affect my other plants. Truth is it doesn’t seem that you can find good stinky diesel strains anymore and seeds sold as such seem to disappoint based on reviews and discussions. Unless it’s super difficult to spot before removing...it’s a no-brainer in my opinion.
Make sure you clone it. I'll bet it's better than your store bought seeds.

Dothraki

Dothraki

not sure if I'm allowed to drop url - but theres currently some Sour Diesel BX (top dawg seeds) being auctioned off at Seeds Here Now....

Almost $500 for 12 regular seems crazy. I guess if I had a clone space setup it could pan out well but let’s hope a good grower ends up with those seeds and keeps them going and helps pass em around. Everyone tryin to get rich. Lol.

growsince79

growsince79

Almost $500 for 12 regular seems crazy. I guess if I had a clone space setup it could pan out well but let’s hope a good grower ends up with those seeds and keeps them going and helps pass em around. Everyone tryin to get rich. Lol.
LOL sucker born every day. I'll bet your bag seed is way better. I know mine are.

Dothraki

Dothraki

LOL sucker born every day. I'll bet your bag seed is way better. I know mine are.
I’ll do my best with it....at what point do I need to start looking out for sex and herming? I do know that flower time will most likely be a few weeks longer after the others are harvested. At least according to other sour powers.

growsince79

growsince79

I’ll do my best with it....at what point do I need to start looking out for sex and herming? I do know that flower time will most likely be a few weeks longer after the others are harvested. At least according to other sour powers.
A week or two after you flip you should see pistils. Always look at all the plants every day. Them fancy store bought seeds can herm just as easy as your bag seed.

TSD

TSD

I've grown some killer shit off bag seed. When someone asks what it is I say it's a new strain called "Fucki If I Know." With all the clueless breeders nowadays, your odds are probably just as good either way.

Madmax

Madmax

I dont mind the late nanners .im like sucked in nans..your too late to do any damage 🖕😃.ive actually used 6 seeds beginning of this grow to see if they would produce nanners.it was first grown outdoors ,it selfed its self.grew it again indoors and threw nanners again ,tried it again this grow but under a led and no nanners at all..lol..so that basically told me it isnt genetic and is from stress .it can get very bad though.had one girl outside that had about 5 areas of small grouped nanners and she put all her energy into producing seeds...a TON of seeds .lol....

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

I dont mind the late nanners .im like sucked in nans..your too late to do any damage 🖕😃.ive actually used 6 seeds beginning of this grow to see if they would produce nanners.it was first grown outdoors ,it selfed its self.grew it again indoors and threw nanners ,tried it again this grow but under a led and no nanners at all..lol..so that basically told me it isnt genetic and is from stress .it can get very bad though.had one girl outside that had about 5 areas of small grouped nanners and she put all her energy into producing seeds...a TON of seeds .lol....
I hate late nanners the most. In my garden, it only takes 5 days to start making seeds. Also running perpetual grow they can ruin my other plants. I'll harvest early if I need to. Fortunately, I haven't had that problem in a long time.

Ponky

Ponky

I hate late nanners the most. In my garden, it only takes 5 days to start making seeds. Also running perpetual grow they can ruin my other plants. I'll harvest early if I need to. Fortunately, I haven't had that problem in a long time.
I've never head hermie issues ever. Like ever. Until I bought seeds from. Let's just call the website Mr.Beeds... and they all dropped seeds. Went back to clones. No seeds. No herms. No mutants. So yeah. It's the people selling their bunk seeds. Making weed worse.

Madmax

Madmax

ive had no probs with late ones outdoors as it takes roughly 6 weeks for seeds to fully mature..i do get what you saying little tiny green bits inside the seed pods.

Last edited:
Top Bottom