What’s the proper way to treat coco before planting clones?

• Thread starter Taurus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Taurus

Taurus

I’ve been washing my coco with my veg formula at a 3.0 ec and I’m still getting deficiencies of magnesium and a stall in growth. After the second top watering of the same formula everything greens up just fine. I’m looking to give my clones a great start right from jump. What am I missing? Higher ec with the first wash?

Observationist

Observationist

I’ve been washing my coco with my veg formula at a 3.0 ec and I’m still getting deficiencies of magnesium and a stall in growth. After the second top watering of the same formula everything greens up just fine. I’m looking to give my clones a great start right from jump. What am I missing? Higher ec with the first wash?
Washing it PHd accordingly with extra magnesium and calcium?

use plain epsom salt, tap should be enough Calcium for babies anyways

R

Running_tank313

Are you talking about Coco peat? I already buy buffered never had to wash it.

Taurus

Taurus

Are you talking about Coco peat? I already buy buffered never had to wash it.
No, it’s just straight coco, I top watered heavily with 3.0ec ph’ed water and I’m still getting slight yellowing between the veins. This normally corrects over time but I’m trying to avoid it and get a better start. I’m thinking of switching from coco to bio 365 which is peat, coco and some broken down Organics.

R

Running_tank313

IV never used straight Coco before always Coco peat buffered so do t have much experience with coco

Taurus

Taurus

IV never used straight Coco before always Coco peat buffered so do t have much experience with coco
I’m about to join you on that venture cuz straight coco bricks in the bags are very convenient but they cause problems in the beginning.

Observationist

Observationist

I’m about to join you on that venture cuz straight coco bricks in the bags are very convenient but they cause problems in the beginning.
i have a 70/30 coco/perlite mix, any good mix will/should be buffered/washed

i just take my solo cup
fill with the mix, sometimes add myco
then i take my clone and put in coco-cup
spray with bottle of 200-400 ppm nutes\5.6-6.3 PH
cover with another cup (california cup)
roots in 10~ days.
simple.
done.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
With brick coco you often have to wash it really well first with plain water to remove sea salt, then buffer it with calcium and magnesium before you can use it.

I only ever used canna coco in bags since it's pre rinsed and buffered. Tried brick coco once and it didn't go so well.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I wash with ph’d water with low nutrient ec until runoff ec is good, then at the end run full strength of cal mag through it and let it drain off and your good to go.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

With brick coco you often have to wash it really well first with plain water to remove sea salt, then buffer it with calcium and magnesium before you can use it.

I only ever used canna coco in bags since it's pre rinsed and buffered. Tried brick coco once and it didn't go so well.
I have had luck with the brick coco but takes a lot of work to wash and like you said definitely needs a buffer of cal mag. Bagged growing coco just makes life simple so I’ll pay a little extra.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have had luck with the brick coco but takes a lot of work to wash and like you said definitely needs a buffer of cal mag. Bagged growing coco just makes life simple so I’ll pay a little extra.
Canna bags are also RHP certified, meaning as long as you buy a fresh properly stored bag, it comes not only pre washed and buffered, but guaranteed free from pests and disease pathogens.

Taurus

Taurus

i have a 70/30 coco/perlite mix, any good mix will/should be buffered/washed

i just take my solo cup
fill with the mix, sometimes add myco
then i take my clone and put in coco-cup
spray with bottle of 200-400 ppm nutes\5.6-6.3 PH
cover with another cup (california cup)
roots in 10~ days.
simple.
done.
My clones are rooted, I but the dehydrated coco blocks and hydrate and drench them with 3.0 EC and I still get what looks like a magnesium deficiency.

Observationist

Observationist

My clones are rooted, I but the dehydrated coco blocks and hydrate and drench them with 3.0 EC and I still get what looks like a magnesium deficiency.
add epsom salt

i cant remember if its 1 TEAspn or 1 TABLEspn/gallon of water.....start small

Taurus

Taurus

So I should just use cal mag to swell them and drench before planting? Or just increase the ec from 3.0 to 3.5-4.0 like my nut manufacturer said to do to handle the buffering?

Taurus

Taurus

I’ll have to ask the manufacturer of the nuts I use how to use cal mag with thier product. Cuz I know when I plant my clones they’ll need other nutrients as well to get started

Taurus

Taurus

Canna bags are also RHP certified, meaning as long as you buy a fresh properly stored bag, it comes not only pre washed and buffered, but guaranteed free from pests and disease pathogens.
I think bio365 has a pest/coco media that has some broken down organics in it that I might try if I can’t get these bricks clean enough. I rinse the living shit out of em with a 3.0 EC nutrient and still have issues in the beginning. But after a week the plants look great cuz they are fed everyday til runoff so they get flushed more that way.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I’ll have to ask the manufacturer of the nuts I use how to use cal mag with thier product. Cuz I know when I plant my clones they’ll need other nutrients as well to get started
What nutrients are you using?

DanC520

DanC520

I just put my first round of clones in coco over the past few days. I treated it like I do for seedlings. I've been using Royal Gold Tupur, so I probably don't need to do anything. That said. I flush it with ph-ed cal mag water. Then when transplanted, start with seedling level nutes, maybe dialed back just a lil. No issues so far (fingers crossed).

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Make sure the coco is 5.8 pH and you should be good. Seem pretty heavy on the ec

Top Bottom