What’s wrong with my girls?? :(

• Thread starter KambleFrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KambleFrost

KambleFrost

can’t figure out what’s going on with a couple of my gals.
Looks like nute burn now but they are on such a small dose of nutes each feed.
I’m worried that they are dying...
first grow! Lemon Haze (leaning Sativa I believe)

Soil - promix BX 10-20% perlite
18-6 light
MarsHydro 300W 40” above tops
Temp 80°F
RH 60%
PH 6.3
Ppm water (tap water) 320
Ppm nutes 200
(Total ppm 520-550)
EC 1067

Feed - 1ML FloraMicro
1ML FloraGrow
0.5ML FloraBloom

Whats wrong with my girls
Whats wrong with my girls 2
Effendi

Effendi

So there is Nothing wrong with your gals. Except way to wet.

I see fresh water on the surface, there should not have been any water added to that cup other than when the sprouted seed goes in.

You mention successive waterings, The seeds are not old enough to have ever been watered let alone more than once.

Your only obvious problem is patience. They look perfect if you let them alone.

the most you can do is nothing. and don't put anymore water on those things, they don't need any nutrients at all until you up plant them into the next size pot.

carry on.

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

can’t figure out what’s going on with a couple of my gals.
Looks like nute burn now but they are on such a small dose of nutes each feed.
I’m worried that they are dying...
first grow! Lemon Haze (leaning Sativa I believe)

Soil - promix BX 10-20% perlite
18-6 light
MarsHydro 300W 40” above tops
Temp 80°F
RH 60%
PH 6.3
Ppm water (tap water) 320
Ppm nutes 200
(Total ppm 520-550)
EC 1067

Feed - 1ML FloraMicro
1ML FloraGrow
0.5ML Flor

I see fresh water on the surface, there should not have been any water added to that cup other than when the sprouted seed goes in.

You mention successive waterings, The seeds are not old enough to have ever been watered let alone more than once.

the most you can do is nothing. and don't put anymore water on those things, they don't need any nutrients at all until you up plant them into the next size pot.

carry on.
Just leave it be and let it dry out. If it was coco you could water all day everyday , but this is soil and you really shouldn't over water . my rule for soil is I don't feed untill the plants asks to be fed , wait for it to droop .

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

carry on.
So my concern is the burnt tips I’m not sure if you noticed in the pics provided.
When I last fed them the media was near bone dry and had been for a day extra just to be sure.
should I continue to leave it dry even more then?

also promix bx is considered a semi soulless medium from what I understand, being mostly peat moss.
Would this still apply?

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Just leave it be and let it dry out. If it was coco you could water all day everyday , but this is soil and you really shouldn't over water . my rule for soil is I don't feed untill the plants asks to be fed , wait for it to droop .
Promos bx is considered a soilless medium is it not? Being mainly peat moss?
they were near bone dry before I last fed.
The burnt tips are worrying me mostly.
Thanks for your input too btw

Effendi

Effendi

I would not worry about the burnt tips, whats done is done.
There is nothing you can do to make it look better anyway.

I used FF from Cali for 20 years and imported a literal valley of the mix in my back gully. (In Washington)

Now I only use Canadian peat (pro-mix) and import the next valley south from BC.

You are absolutely spot on watering by weight. I don't care how dry or wet it looks, if the 7 gallon squat can't be lifted easily with two fingers, it's to wet.
Bone dry is absolute gospel in this mix. And by the by, when I do water a super light dry plant (in 7 gal) it only gets literally ONE gallon of mix.
There should NEVER be any runoff.

And seriously, do not even concern yourself with burnt tips, it means nothing.

:)

TSD

TSD

They have burnt tips because they don't need to be fed that young, and definitely not at every watering, or because they are too wet. Also, LED can be too intense for some babies, I just had mine under fluorescent for a couple weeks till they were stronger, but at 40 inches away, maybe not? I'm just using an LED for the first time, so I'm no expert there.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
You gave too much food too early. Not extreme.
looks fine. Let it dry out. Probably once water every 3-4 days.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

I would not worry about the burnt tips, whats done is done.
There is nothing you can do to make it look better anyway.

I used FF from Cali for 20 years and imported a literal valley of the mix in my back gully. (In Washington)

Now I only use Canadian peat (pro-mix) and import the next valley south from BC.

You are absolutely spot on watering by weight. I don't care how dry or wet it looks, if the 7 gallon squat can't be lifted easily with two fingers, it's to wet.
Bone dry is absolute gospel in this mix. And by the by, when I do water a super light dry plant (in 7 gal) it only gets literally ONE gallon of mix.
There should NEVER be any runoff.

And seriously, do not even concern yourself with burnt tips, it means nothing.

Thank you for the great insight.
So typically I water till runoff as I heard it flushes out the buildup within the root system which could cause issues.
Are you recommending that I don’t water till runoff?

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Thanks for the tip, so the burnt tips seem to only be on the first two leaves that grew. The newest ones seem super healthy so is it just as simple as “fed too early at the beginning and now it’s okay with the feed I’m currently at”??

I just wasn’t sure if they would continue to burn up and kill the whole plants.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Will do thanks man!
I typically water and feed once a week right now. It was at 6-7 days when I fed last and the media was super light.
I’m using a food scale that I weighed a packed wet cup and packed dry cup to compare weight with to know when they are getting close to time.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Yeah
They have burnt tips because they don't need to be fed that young, and definitely not at every watering, or because they are too wet. Also, LED can be too intense for some babies, I just had mine under fluorescent for a couple weeks till they were stronger, but at 40 inches away, maybe not? I'm just using an LED for the first time, so I'm no expert there.
I’m not entirely sure if the light is too far or too close but at 40” they aren’t stretching so I assume it’s a good distance away.
It was recommended that I raise them higher by a well known mod on here so be it as my first attempt at growing I figured it would be smart to listen lol.

Effendi

Effendi

Yes, that is what I do. I understand that many will argue the point (run off or not) and that's OK.

I don't need any runoff to check my EC/ph, I know exactly what that is as I am the one who put it there.

I am unable to post up a pic of what the finished root ball looks like when I cut and add to the pile, but it's rootbound white roots.

and everyone else is right, you don't need ANY nutrients until they are Much bigger.

Carry on,

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Yup. Not overwatered. 250-350ppm with first feeds. Plenty of calmag. Ease into it.
Water the container fully. That’s why it’s best to have the plants in containers sized to the plant.
faster growth if you can push the watering cycles up.

Effendi

Effendi

Yeah
It was recommended that I raise them higher by a well known mod on here so be it as my first attempt at growing I figured it would be smart to listen lol.
hmm, so there is no such thing as too much light. Seeds sprout under the sun,

The only issue with any plant and light is heat. If you can put your hand between the canopy and the glass and leave it there for a minute without burning your hand, they are just fine.

If you're really interested in distance and par and lumens and whatnot, research how many lumens you lose with every inch and a half the plant is away from the source.
The numbers drop dramatically.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Do y
Yup. Not overwatered. 250-350ppm with first feeds. Plenty of calmag. Ease into it.
Water the container fully. That’s why it’s best to have the plants in containers sized to the plant.
faster growth if you can push the watering cycles up.
Do you recommend cal-mag still even with my tap water being primary source? The tap water ppm is 340 which I assume means there’s cal and msg in it already.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Wow. That’s super high ppm tap water.
I would use RO with any tap over 175ppm.
I’m sure there is some calmag in there. Not sure about the MSG. That’s mostly Chinese food.😂

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Wow. That’s super high ppm tap water.
I would use RO with any tap over 175ppm.
I’m sure there is some calmag in there. Not sure about the MSG. That’s mostly Chinese food.😂
Hahahahaha yeah def no msg in my tap water.
But I heard anything under 350ppm for tap water is alright to use.
I have access to distilled water at the store too but no RO unfortunately.

Can anyone chime in a bit on whether my tap water is a no go?

Effendi

Effendi

Yup, Greenthumb is spot on. Normal tap water is unusually (like he said) 125-175. Anything over that and you might have problems.

The other side of that is finding out what that 350 ppm actually is. Depending on your water source, you can actually test it yourself or have a lab test to see exactly what that make up is.

With a 350 ppm, it is very likely you have something you don't want. I am lucky enough to be at the pinnacle of my water source, (on the top of a ridge) and I'm at 175. I run everything through a tall boy. Let it sit in a 50 gallon barrel with air pushed through it for 72 hours in order to burn off any chloramine or chlorine and get it oxygenated and room temperature before PH and nutrient mix.

RO is nice, definitely safe, distilled water is certainly clean/clear. I can not say with any knowledge whether your tap water is safe at 350 without knowing exactly what that number consists of.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Yup, Greenthumb is spot on. Normal tap water is unusually (like he said) 125-175. Anything over that and you might have problems.

The other side of that is finding out what that 350 ppm actually is. Depending on your water source, you can actually test it yourself or have a lab test to see exactly what that make up is.

With a 350 ppm, it is very likely you have something you don't want. I am lucky enough to be at the pinnacle of my water source, (on the top of a ridge) and I'm at 175. I run everything through a tall boy. Let it sit in a 50 gallon barrel with air pushed through it for 72 hours in order to burn off any chloramine or chlorine and get it oxygenated and room temperature before PH and nutrient mix.

So should I just be getting distilled water or RO water from the store by the jug and a bottle of cal-mag?
I don’t need to add anything else right? My nutes will do the rest?

Latest posts

Top Bottom