What’s wrong with the leaves?

• Thread starter BigGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigGrower

BigGrower

Hello, I have been having this problem with my leaves for over a week, and nobody seems to know what the problem is. I was apart of another forum site just like this one, but nobody knew what it was. Hopefully someone here can help me diagnose the issue. Anyways so my leaves have these yellow/white spots on the leaves and it started with one leaf and slowly ‘infected’ the leaves around it. I’m quite sure it’s not powdery mildew. Some people had suggested that maybe it was because of too much light, but I only have a 19w led grow light @ 13 inches away from top of plant, so I don’t think that light might be the cause either.
Whats wrong with the leaves
Whats wrong with the leaves 2
Whats wrong with the leaves 3
Whats wrong with the leaves 4

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter

BigGrower

BigGrower

"Soil Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
2. How old are your plants?
3. How tall are your plants?
4. What size containers are they planted in?
5. What is your soil mix?
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use?
7. What is the pH of your water?
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
11. How close are your lights to the plants?
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?
14. What is the pH of the soil?
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
16. How much experience do you have growing? "

1. Seed
  2. Eight weeks (due to overwatering at seedling stage --> had stunt growth for a while)
  3. ~7-8 inches tall
  4. Three gal pot
  5. 'HP ProMix' mixed with perlite (not sure what soil; perlite ratio I did)
  6. Water twice a week, filtered water.
  7. pH of water is somewhere between 6.2-6.9 pH
  8. Nutes: (24-8-16)
  9. No to both
  10. I use a 19w led grow light
  11. ~13" away from top of plant
  12. I don't know, and I don't think it matters.
  13. I try to keep it around 23*C but it changes between 21*-23*C -- (70*-73*F) || Humidity ~50-55%
  14. pH of soil is somewhere between 6.5-7.0 pH
  15. No insect activity notices
  16. Beginner
Hopefully someone can now diagnose the issue. Thanks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looking a like some transpiration issues. Most of the spots are at leaf edges and where they are touching other leaves and moisture can build up there.

Do you have a fan it? If not that's probably a big part of the problem. Leaves should be dancing but not the stems.

I would try to bump the temps up to 77-78F.

Do you have a PH meter?

Is your supply water tap or other?

Do you have drainage holes in those buckets?

BigGrower

BigGrower

Looking a like some transpiration issues. Most of the spots are at leaf edges and where they are touching other leaves and moisture can build up there.

Do you have a fan it? If not that's probably a big part of the problem. Leaves should be dancing but not the stems.

I would try to bump the temps up to 77-78F.

Do you have a PH meter?

Is your supply water tap or other?

Do you have drainage holes in those buckets?
I have two fans. The powerful fan below, blowing directly to the plants, and I have a fan which when it blows, it intersects the airflow of the other fan so the wind is not as strong. And I have a humidifier tower in the middle which blows directly up so it can also help reduce the power of the strong fan and also increase humidity near the plant area. Also I have a small visible mist humidifier next to the plant as well. So humidity and air is being blown to the plant. Is that a problem or is it fine?
I drew a diagram for better understanding...
1182F61E 3B77 4856 AA61 14BE1C363BF6

Bump up the temp to 77 -78F in the grow room or where the plants are? Because the grow room temp is already 77F. The temps are a bit lower where the plant is (~73F) and so that’s why I’m using an additional heater.

I do have a pH meter (Moisture, Light, pH) but the pH function isn’t working properly so I just test water with pH strips, and the soil with test tubes. I use tap water and fill my water filtering pitcher and then I give them the filtered water. And yes, the pot does have drainage holes even though it takes several days between waterings.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Could possibly be minor damage from when you said you over watered them early on, either way it looks pretty healthy, might want to add some light eventually, good luck!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have two fans. The powerful fan below, blowing directly to the plants, and I have a fan which when it blows, it intersects the airflow of the other fan so the wind is not as strong. And I have a humidifier tower in the middle which blows directly up so it can also help reduce the power of the strong fan and also increase humidity near the plant area. So humidity and air is being blown to the plant. Is that a problem or is it fine?

Bump up the temp to 77 -78F in the grow room or where the plants are? Because the grow room temp is already 77F. The temps are a bit lower where the plant is (~73F) and so that’s why I’m using an additional heater.

I do have a pH meter (Moisture, Light, pH) but the pH function isn’t working properly so I just test water with pH strips, and the soil with test tubes. I use tap water and fill my water filtering pitcher and then I give them the filtered water. And yes, the pot does have drainage holes even though it takes several days between waterings.
Is it getting worse day by day? If not then it's nothing I would worry about as the leaves will not repair themselves.

I have seen PH swings do similar things but I grow in hydro and that's probably at lot less likely in soil. This looks more like a transpiration issue so next I would look to the roots. I noticed you said you water twice a week but are the pots dry when you water? slight over watering could be the culprit from what i see.

Do you water until runoff?

Is your soil compact or easy to break up?

Like i say i'm a hydro grower but those symptoms fit the bill to me. On the root part it's prob best if one of the soil guys jumps in here.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have two fans. The powerful fan below, blowing directly to the plants, and I have a fan which when it blows, it intersects the airflow of the other fan so the wind is not as strong. And I have a humidifier tower in the middle which blows directly up so it can also help reduce the power of the strong fan and also increase humidity near the plant area. Also I have a small visible mist humidifier next to the plant as well. So humidity and air is being blown to the plant. Is that a problem or is it fine?
I drew a diagram for better understanding...
View attachment 870993

I ideally you want leaf temps of about 75F. Leaf temps are usually 2-3F cooler than ambient temp due to evaporative cooling (other things like IR can affect it but that's another topic). So you would want 77-78ish where the plants are ballpark to achieve that leaf temp.

Added: I would not have the humidifier between the plant and the fan, even ultrasonic humidifiers take some time to disperse into the air. Also I would change the fan so its not directly blowing on the plant but passively creating airflow.

Last edited:
BigGrower

BigGrower

Thanks for the replies! So I’m assuming the humidity blown directly at the plant is not causing the issue. Yes, the condition is getting worse by day. I watered till I saw drainage the first time but then it took 5-6 days to dry out so I don’t water till I see drainage anymore. And yes, i make sure the pots are dry when I water.

And I will be increasing temps up more near the leaf area thanks for that.

London bud

London bud

It could be damage from when the leaves were a lot smaller, caused by a hot feed, a def or ph flux, sometimes the damage to small leaves is to small to be seen but as the leaf grows out it becomes noticeable and will get bigger only in proportion to the leaf as it grows. Its like a scar from a previous problem id say.

BigGrower

BigGrower

Ummm I just realized something. I took a look under the leaves and those white spots I have look like a cal and mag deficiency under the leaf. It’s just brown, dry looking spots. Could that mean it’s suffering from a deficiency?

London bud

London bud

Ummm I just realized something. I took a look under the leaves and those white spots I have look like a cal and mag deficiency under the leaf. It’s just brown, dry looking spots. Could that mean it’s suffering from a deficiency?
I bet if you keep an eye on her them patches will only increase in size as the leaf grows, it'll just be the same mark getting stretched out as the leaf grows. the patches are probably old damage.
just let her dry out and use plain ph water if your worried and see what happens. If you don't know whats wrong adding nutes might not help things

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The spots affected will die off. What i mean by getting worse is if its affecting new leaves. I agree with others this could be an issue from before. Sometimes it takes a while for symptoms to show or become noticeable. If its happening to new growth or affecting other leaves then its an issue.

As for your humidifier question yes it could cause an issue as the humidity of the air around the plant would be much much higher when setup like you had than the humidity you are measuring elsewhere. You can check this by placing your humidity sensor/gauge right in front of the plant when the humidifier is running.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I use Promix and it is usually buffered pretty well and doesn't seem prone to calcium or magnesium deficiencies. To me, your plants look good and healthy. The primary fan leaves are typically the 1st set of major leaves, and splashing water or just about anything can cause a small boo-boo like that. Your new growth looks good, and any damage that you see probably took place a few weeks ago and is just now becoming visible... remember, plants grow slowly, have patience. If you see issues like this on new growth, the it is time to worry. The old fan leaves are constantly beat up ipon, and they will probably turn yellow and fall off during flowering, which is pretty much normal.
Insect damage usually has smaller initial damaged areas which doesn't look like what you have. Keep up the good fight!!

Kepp89

Kepp89

look into what kind of (water) filter you have and how well it filters out calcium and yeah you may need calmag but like he said, id still wait another little while.

patience is your best friend.

and i myself noticed a slightly softer/soggy-ish leaf feeling if it was too close to the cool mist or warm mist humidifier that i had

Latest posts

Top Bottom