What’s your best germination method

• Thread starter zoot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Giving them a soak beforehand never hurts, but if the seeds are strong and fresh, my seeds always go straight into the pre-watered growing media of choice
It’s the most hands off, natural way to pop a bean. 🌱
I will add, I use a heat mat, and a vent-able dome to keep temps at 80f and humidity at 80+

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Giving them a soak beforehand never hurts, but if the seeds are strong and fresh, my seeds always go straight into the pre-watered growing media of choice
It’s the most hands off, natural way to pop a bean. 🌱
I will add, I use a heat mat, and a vent-able dome to keep temps at 80f and humidity at 80+

Yep, I've had great results just going straight into rapid rooters too. As long as the media makes good contact with the seed and has a good air/water balance.. They're fine. It's how seeds sprout naturally lol, only makes sense. They don't really need us meddling too much.

Observationist

Observationist

My current run is from clone, but for seeds I'd generally grow them for 2-3 weeks or so under T5HO florescent before putting them under anything stronger.
they seem to stretch more under that lighting

zoot

zoot

I agree, but I still like the idea of soaking them over night before they are dropped. Using Lush, not advanced as most of you hydro dudes, maybe some day. Anyway I like the smell of good dirt 🤪😎

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
they seem to stretch more under that lighting
Not for me they don't. You just keep the light really close to the top leaves. And I also use multiple T5's not just 1. An array of them. Usually start with one to sprout and as soon as the true leaves open I'll fire up 1 or 2 or 3 more depending how many seeds I've got. I use them for clones and preveg, have for decades and they suit their purpose perfectly.

Observationist

Observationist

Not for me they don't. You just keep the light really close to the top leaves. And I also use multiple T5's not just 1. An array of them. Usually start with one to sprout and as soon as the true leaves open I'll fire up 1 or 2 or 3 more depending how many seeds I've got. I use them for clones and preveg, have for decades and they suit their purpose perfectly.
Gotcha

zoot

zoot

I ordered two of them, should be a big improvement over the old style fluorescents

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
the main reason for seedling stretch is yes light distance, but also it’s all environmental factors especially ambient temp and humidity during day and night. anything over 80 is too high and stems will be weak and thin, under 80 stems will thicken..
anyhoo, it’s more than just light..
i love my T5HO lights..

growsince79

growsince79

the main reason for seedling stretch is yes light distance, but also it’s all environmental factors especially ambient temp and humidity during day and night. anything over 80 is too high and stems will be weak and thin, under 80 stems will thicken..
anyhoo, it’s more than just light..
i love my T5HO lights..
i use these.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
my germination method is pretty much the same way i start clones..
soak seeds in a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide at a strength 5-10% for around 10 hours, while soaking i’ll use shot glass solo cups with holes in bottom filled with promix hp and a layer of moisten peat, when ready i’ll scoop out seed with spoon and place on bed of peat and cover over with more peat and promix about half inch or so lightly..
place on a heating seedling mat plugged into the timer with the T5 lights to come on when lights on and off when lights off, a little airflow…
this method has been 100% successful still..
i’ll be doing more seeds this way in a week ish..
got 5 clones started basically the same way and still all doing fine..
the less touching and exposing to different environments the better for the seed and plant..

Top Bottom