What’s your experience plucking balls from hermies during early flower?

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I hear it’s possible they won’t grow back...in your experience is that possible? Im guessing most don’t wait that long to find out though lol. Cause the smartest thing is obviously to chop it, but really want to know the rough percentages of odds.
I can't say I've tested the odds that male flowers would eventually stop forming if you picked them off. Anything is possible, I suppose, but I view hermies the way Frankenstein views fire: Hermies BAD!

Anthem

Anthem

True...and smart people do stupid things to make discoveries...so I guess it all boils down to intent.
Spin it however you want but hermies at 2 weeks and not killing that plant is just not a smart thing to do so do as you must. If the strain is known to hermie there is really nothing much that can stop it, it is genetic at that point and it is not a good idea to grow the strain.
I have had 2 situations with hermies. First was Gelato #33, first grow and I found the balls days before they opened at about 2 1/2 weeks. It got the chop, some did not listen and they got seeds and lost it. Second was genetic, it was Ice Cream Cakes and it was nothing I did. But I got about 10 seeds.

growsince79

growsince79

Spin it however you want but hermies at 2 weeks and not killing that plant is just not a smart thing to do so do as you must. If the strain is known to hermie there is really nothing much that can stop it, it is genetic at that point and it is not a good idea to grow the strain.
I have had 2 situations with hermies. First was Gelato #33, first grow and I found the balls days before they opened at about 2 1/2 weeks. It got the chop, some did not listen and they got seeds and lost it. Second was genetic, it was Ice Cream Cakes and it was nothing I did. But I got about 10 seeds.
I've grown more than one that hermed early then changed its mind and was all female, and never made a seed. It can happen. That's why I pick them off and give it a week to change it's mind. I damn sure wouldn't breed it.

Dothraki

Dothraki

See? 10 seeds...that’s awesome. Nothing wrong with that. If I don’t grow it out now I’ll never know how it’ll work out with the other 7 seeds from the pack. If it ends up with no seeds, or only a few, it’ll be a great experiment that’ll be well worth the risk, since I still have 7 more seeds of it.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I've grown more than one that hermed early then changed its mind and was all female, and never made a seed. It can happen. That's why I pick them off and give it a week to change it's mind. I damn sure wouldn't breed it.
That’s encouraging! I did find 2 new ones but none have grown back in the same spots yet. Fingers crossed...new tent on the way to separate it just in case.

growsince79

growsince79

See? 10 seeds...that’s awesome. Nothing wrong with that. If I don’t grow it out now I’ll never know how it’ll work out with the other 7 seeds from the pack. If it ends up with no seeds, or only a few, it’ll be a great experiment that’ll be well worth the risk, since I still have 7 more seeds of it.
Just grow it man. If it starts making new balls every day throw it out.

Anthem

Anthem

You are not getting it. The Ice Cream Cakes was from a clone cut that cost 2k. I got it for free. That is nothing like what you are seeing. It was a random nanner with just a little bit of pollen. What you have is a full blown hermaphrodite. Two complete different genetic traits. But I am done with this thread because really all you want is reinforcement that what you are doing is fine and a good idea when it is not. Anthem out!!!

Dothraki

Dothraki

You are not getting it. The Ice Cream Cakes was from a clone cut that cost 2k. I got it for free. That is nothing like what you are seeing. It was a random nanner with just a little bit of pollen. What you have is a full blown hermaphrodite. Two complete different genetic traits. But I am done with this thread because really all you want is reinforcement that what you are doing is fine and a good idea when it is not. Anthem out!!!
I’m not looking for reinforcement...I’m looking for information. Most people never grow a Hermie intentionally, only by mistake. And by the time they realize it it’s already way too late and pollen everywhere. I want to hear from those that knew they were Hermies, performed preventative maintenance, and took them to flower. This is a forum to discuss growing cannabis, and this should be a legitimate discussion. If you don’t know just say that, it’s ok.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Do Hermies that you pluck eventually also grow nanners in buds?
I've had them right in the middle of dense nuggets before. However, there is a difference between herming during early/mid flower compared to late flower when there's only a few weeks to go. It's during late flower that you'll occasionally see a nanner sticking out of an otherwise sweet looking bud.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I’m not looking for reinforcement...I’m looking for information. Most people never grow a Hermie intentionally, only by mistake. And by the time they realize it it’s already way too late and pollen everywhere. I want to hear from those that knew they were Hermies, performed preventative maintenance, and took them to flower. This is a forum to discuss growing cannabis, and this should be a legitimate discussion. If you don’t know just say that, it’s ok.
I've had a few hermi issues and I've grown from hermied seeds. I got a few seeds off a Bubba Kush I grew and planted them. I got a few nice plants with a few more seeds in each plant...then I grew 1 plant from those seeds in a room full of other strains....every fking plant grew fking seeds....The entire crop fked because of 1 bad plant....I'd rather not grow with suspect seeds if I can help it......I just bought fem seeds from a reliable source this week @ $5 / seed min 3 per strain...I bought a dozen fems $60 GSC,Gelato,GG#4,PlatOg,......why waste your time on iffy seeds? I'm sure you can find a source for quality seeds somewhere? Grind her up and cook her is my suggestion.

growsince79

growsince79

I've grown plenty of hermies intentionally. They almost always get thrown out. I've had a couple that make early balls and stop when pistils start. Not likely but it is possible.

Dothraki

Dothraki

I've had a few hermi issues and I've grown from hermied seeds. I got a few seeds off a Bubba Kush I grew and planted them. I got a few nice plants with a few more seeds in each plant...then I grew 1 plant from those seeds in a room full of other strains....every fking plant grew fking seeds....The entire crop fked because of 1 bad plant....I'd rather not grow with suspect seeds if I can help it......I just bought fem seeds from a reliable source this week @ $5 / seed min 3 per strain...I bought a dozen fems $60 GSC,Gelato,GG#4,PlatOg,......why waste your time on iffy seeds? I'm sure you can find a source for quality seeds somewhere? Grind her up and cook her is my suggestion.
The one that seeded the whole crop, was it tons of seeds or like 10 per bud? Were you ball plucking or did it hide itself until it was too late?

Dothraki

Dothraki

I've grown plenty of hermies intentionally. They almost always get thrown out. I've had a couple that make early balls and stop when pistils start. Not likely but it is possible.
I’m playing it half safe. Hopefully nothing gets seeded between now and Tuesday when the other tent shows up.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The one that seeded the whole crop, was it tons of seeds or like 10 per bud? Were you ball plucking or did it hide itself until it was too late?
I was watching out for it from about 3 weeks on I noticed it had some flowers I tried to pluck off..That was useless They hide very well under small leaves and no way I could get they all. It wasn't until 6-7 weeks into flower I noticed the seeds sticking out the tops, sides and everywhere...It was a cluster fk of seeded plants...

..I just pulled a hermied GDP...I noticed seeds growing off 1 in veg with seeds..off the same seed batch.I had 1 in flower I also checked and sure enough seeds in the buds....I pulled it immediately and turned it into Chocolate /raisin bars. I still have 2 plants @ 8+ weeks in the same room I'm hoping they haven't seeds in them from this plant.

100 6514
grnmtn

grnmtn

Regardless of everything, hermi weed sucks so why waste time? Denial is a stage of grief and loss but you need to move on to the acceptance phase!

growsince79

growsince79

Regardless of everything, hermi weed sucks so why waste time? Denial is a stage of grief and loss but you need to move on to the acceptance phase!
If everyone thought that, most modern strains wouldn't exist. Without the hermaphrodite thai strains, we would all be smoking mids today.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Hahaha. Most people won’t grow a herm out, because most of us know a few things. 👍
I would hope that in the 30+ threads you have started since joining the farm, you would have learned.

good luck with the she-man.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
If everyone thought that, most modern strains wouldn't exist. Without the hermaphrodite thai strains, we would all be smoking mids today.
this, to an extent. it took a lot of work from incredibly intelligent people over decades to get us to a point of stability. now we're into the wave of people undoing literally 40 years of work due to a complete disregard for respect of the soldiers that risked life and freedom to get us here. fuckin pollen chuckers that have never understood a Punnett square pushing shit untested F1's with hermaphroditic genes because "if you grow it right, it's an elite cut bruh".

Latest posts

Top Bottom