What advantages are using co2?

• Thread starter concreter68
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

concreter68

What is the main purpose of co2? I have a air conditioning a humidifier that is wall mounted hooked straight up to tap water ,u set it at what humidity u want it at and it maintains that humidity ,it continually has water going through it,would co2 be a advantage for me and what is the advantage do u get higher thc or larger yield ?i am very happy with my finished product ,I am learning any help appreciatEd thanks.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What is the main purpose of co2? I have a air conditioning a humidifier that is wall mounted hooked straight up to tap water ,u set it at what humidity u want it at and it maintains that humidity ,it continually has water going through it,would co2 be a advantage for me and what is the advantage do u get higher thc or larger yield ?i am very happy with my finished product ,I am learning any help appreciatEd thanks.
Your need a deguey also.

The benefit is an increase in growth rates. This increase is % based and depending how well you you can manage your grow parameters you can expect an increase of around 15-30% if you manage it well. Tgis is a huge topic and to many things to go over in terms if how to achieve the highest increase but yes its a growth rate increase

Anthem

Anthem

Your need a deguey also.

The benefit is an increase in growth rates. This increase is % based and depending how well you you can manage your grow parameters you can expect an increase of around 15-30% if you manage it well. Tgis is a huge topic and to many things to go over in terms if how to achieve the highest increase but yes its a growth rate increase
This is a hard one for me because I have been running CO2 since I started with Gavita LED's and I have never not ran without it so it might help me understand yields better.

Anthem

Anthem

More co2 = More photosynthesis = more energy the plant can make = faster growth rates = more potential yield in less time
agreed but you also have a group that want to push the temperature up with CO2 as well like 85/86 and everytime I try this it makes the plants unhappy!!!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

agreed but you also have a group that want to push the temperature up with CO2 as well like 85/86 and everytime I try this it makes the plants unhappy!!!!
Yeah well part of the system i designed and moe and i are working on some testing and changes will be interesting to see resultsbonnin that area.

Many are probably reffering to a study done by chandra on co2. I like you find thats not the case also.

I can only speculate that they are talking air temps and not plant temps because chandra also quotes plant temps of around 77f as ideal for photosynthesis. And this is what I have found to be true in my experience.

There are so many moving parts. I can absolutely see room temps of as high as 90f working well if running a lower humidity, LED, high air movement, lower root temps and high light. As these all contribute to evaporative cooling. Plant temps that high i just cant get there without seeing some negative effects once i hit around 80+

Anthem

Anthem

Yeah well part of the system i designed and moe and i are working on some testing and changes will be interesting to see resultsbonnin that area.

Many are probably reffering to a study done by chandra on co2. I like you find thats not the case also.

I can only speculate that they are talking air temps and not plant temps because chandra also quotes plant temps of around 77f as ideal for photosynthesis. And this is what I have found to be true in my experience.

There are so many moving parts. I can absolutely see room temps of as high as 90f working well if running a lower humidity, LED, high air movement, lower root temps and high light. As these all contribute to evaporative cooling. Plant temps that high i just cant get there without seeing some negative effects once i hit around 80+
The challenge is also associated with Terpenes. I learned that one the hard way. Here I am with my 3rd grow in a green house. Now mind you this is sunny California with 2 exhaust fans 1=4" and 1=6" in a 7' x 15' hoop house and some alumishade at like 30 percent I could not keep the temperatures below like high 80's and sometimes 90's. That stuff never smelled the same as the same strain grown under cooler conditions.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The challenge is also associated with Terpenes. I learned that one the hard way. Here I am with my 3rd grow in a green house. Now mind you this is sunny California with 2 exhaust fans 1=4" and 1=6" in a 7' x 15' hoop house and some alumishade at like 30 percent I could not keep the temperatures below like high 80's and sometimes 90's. That stuff never smelled the same as the same strain grown under cooler conditions.
Yeah i lower temps and keep humidity higher than most near the end for that very reason. One other benefit is to bring out the color expression if they carry it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Low 70’s made this one really pop

C

concreter68

Your need a deguey also.

I have not tried this wall mounted humidifier yet ,if I set it at 70% for 2 weeks flip lights to 12/12 keep at 70% and lower it 10% each week until I hit 40% and keep it there ,if I keep my temperatures at correct temp ,do u think this plan should work ok?I am in qld Australia we have fairly high humidity,thanks for any help ,I am just learning and loving it.ps what is a deguey?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have not tried this wall mounted humidifier yet ,if I set it at 70% for 2 weeks flip lights to 12/12 keep at 70% and lower it 10% each week until I hit 40% and keep it there ,if I keep my temperatures at correct temp ,do u think this plan should work ok?I am in qld Australia we have fairly high humidity,thanks for any help ,I am just learning and loving it.ps what is a deguey?
There are soo many ways to manipulate plant temps that i suggest getting an IR temp gun and tinker a bit. The most underrated, underutilized tool a grower can have…. And they are dirt cheap

Madmax

Madmax

What brand is that wall mount dehuey..i bet she's a mofo.whats the wattage and how bigs your room..

C

concreter68

What brand is that wall mount dehuey..i bet she's a mofo.whats the wattage and how bigs your room..
Brand name is hortiair it is a humidifier it hooks up to pressurisEd water ,I have a 100 litre reservoir with a pump ,it pumps 1.6 litres a hour and returns back to reservoir,has a dial on it and set it on humidity u want ,and hopefully it should control humidity,have a humidifier on air conditioner ( small ac) tent is 3 meters by 1.5 meters ,with 3 plant scrog net ,my first proper grow 2 weeks to go all good so far ,I will set tent up a bit different next time and put humidity controller in tent.

Madmax

Madmax

Brand name is hortiair it is a humidifier it hooks up to pressurisEd water ,I have a 100 litre reservoir with a pump ,it pumps 1.6 litres a hour and returns back to reservoir,has a dial on it and set it on humidity u want ,and hopefully it should control humidity,have a humidifier on air conditioner ( small ac) tent is 3 meters by 1.5 meters ,with 3 plant scrog net ,my first proper grow 2 weeks to go all good so far ,I will set tent up a bit different next time and put humidity controller in tent.
Somehow i dont see how thats going to work.once your humidity gets to 60-70 it will need to be either extracted out of the growvroom or have a dehumidifier..i have one that helps keep the humidity in check...well sort of.i need a bigger wattage one..mine runs 24/7 in flower.maybe im mis understanding your setup but a humidifier is only used at the begining of veg for a couple weeks .in your situation in queeny, you shouldnt really need one..

C

concreter68

Somehow i dont see how thats going to work.once your humidity gets to 60-70 it will need to be either extracted out of the growvroom or have a dehumidifier..i have one that helps keep the humidity in check...well sort of.i need a bigger wattage one..mine runs 24/7 in flower.maybe im mis understanding your setup but a humidifier is only used at the begining of veg for a couple weeks .in your situation in queeny, you shouldnt really need one..
It may be only good in the first 4 maybe 5 weeks when I want it at 70% humidity,then I may need a dehumidifier or probably just have to deal with what I get ,in qld should be ok I may of over thought the humidifier,and turn it of if humidity is to high as it won’t do much ,that is why I hooked it up to a pump and reservoir so water wouldn’t go straight down the drain as water goes through it and will only use it if the brain inside it tells it to depending on setting I put it on ,have to see how it goes.what u think thanks ?

Madmax

Madmax

I reckon you will find the plants will raise humidity after a couple weeks when they start to get going and drinking more..it should work really well in veg..im a little jelly you have an ac in there..that will really come in handy with the cold morning you get but warm days.actually it would b good for you to run lights on through the night if your not already and your rh mightn raise all that much as you get warm days.quite the opposite here in tas.cold nights ,cold dys lol..i dread lights off here in flower..

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

If you are running CO2, you really want total control over all grow set points to be able to use it effectively. I think of it like an amplifier, but to an electrical engineer everything comes back to electrons lol. The amplifier can take what you are doing and make it a little bigger, a little faster, etc. But that also means that it will amplify problems or weak spots.

I run RDWC and CO2, and the growth rate is up there with the best of 'em. But if I have a problem, that also means I have less time to react before the train runs off the tracks. When I am pressing hard, I need to check the plants a lot for any sign of stress, and immediately jump on the issue. That grow style is not for everyone. Not sure if it is for you.

It DOES force you to climb up the learning curve pretty fast tho if that is what you are going for.

Another analogy - you can put NOS on any car. But only the ones that have been built to take it will not throw a cam or something when you use it.

In terms of the cost vs gain - I have yet to find a cheaper way to immediately impact the gain in the plants. I average $20 in CO2 used per grow.

So yeah, good and bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom