What Are The Best Cannabis Strains For Treating Pain?

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
One of the most common applications for medical marijuana is pain, whether it’s inflammation,headaches, neuropathic pain, muscle soreness, spinal injury, fibromyalgia, or cramps. Patients have seen varying degrees of success with cannabis in treating various pain-related ailments, depending on the type of pain, the intensity, and the individual’s own physiology.

This guide is informed both by user-submitted strain reviews and chemical profile data, as certain cannabinoids and terpenes are known to have areas of specialization such as pain. Because every person's experience is so nuanced, we recommend sampling several of these suggestions and maybe even experiment with them in different forms, like topicals, oils, or even transdermal patches. Smoking and vaporizing are great ways to get marijuana’s painkilling properties quickly, but read up on non-smoking consumption methods and cannabis concentrate alternatives to get an idea of the full spectrum of options available to you.

And remember -- there are many adept pain slayers out there in the cannabis world. Use ourExplorer's symptom and condition filters to find out what else has worked for other patients, and check the "Availability" tab on their strain pages to see if they're available at a shop near you!

1. Cannabis Strains That Help Treat Generalized Pain

All hail ACDC, one of the most effective painkilling strains out there due to its one-two punch of cannabinoids CBD and THC. As a general rule, cannabis strains with high amounts of both THC and CBD tend to make the best pain medicines, and there are plenty of high-CBD strainsout there offering similar chemical profiles as ACDC.

Unfortunately, high-CBD strains are relatively new to the game and not all patients have access to them, especially those living in states without medical marijuana laws. Luckily, high-THC strains also offer pain relieving benefits, and many people find that heavy indicas such asBlackberry Kush are particularly skilled in the art of killing pain.

Browse more strains suitable for general pain.

2. Cannabis Strains That Help Treat Inflammation and Arthritis

Cerebrally-focused sativa strains aren't typically a first choice for patients treating pain andinflammation, but Harlequin's high-CBD content makes it an exception. Its uplifting and clear-headed effects set it apart from heavier, more intoxicating options and make it a perfect choice for daytime medicating.

Also known as Blue Venom, Berry White, and White Berry, Blue Widow is a prolific hybrid cross between parent strains Blueberry and White Widow. Leafly user reviews praise Blue Widow for its anti-inflammatory qualities, and perhaps the reason for this is Blue Widow's rich terpeneprofile that typically boasts high levels of caryophyllene, or it could be its heavy resin production which gives way to massive amounts of THC and other beneficial compounds.

Browse more strains suitable for inflammation and arthritis.

3. Cannabis Strains That Help Treat Headaches and Migraines

Purple Arrow hits the target somewhere between heavy pain relief and uplifting euphoria, making it a great choice for headache sufferers needing swift relief without the couchlock effects typical of indica varieties.

Headband hybrids are commonly described as "cerebral" with effects that go straight to the crown of your head. Blueberry Headband lives up to its name, delivering focused headache relief and a sweet berry flavor.

Browse more strains suitable for headaches and migraines.

4. Cannabis Strains That Help Treat Cramps

With effects that relax tension in both mind and body, Redwood Kush is known to deliver awoody forest aroma alongside hefty amounts of THC to help ease muscle cramping.

bk8hYK0ITSC5HljYTslm_dyn.png
3xkw1eohTUGB8ztbG1wU_dyn-effects.PNG

Dynamite is another high-THC indica strain that blows pain and cramping out of the water, but be wary: Dynamite is also known to incite the power of the Munchie Beast.

Browse more strains suitable for cramps.

5. Spinal Injury

Cataract Kush is a heavy-hitting hybrid cross between powerhouse classics LA Confidential andOG Kush. This strain's potency may not be for the novice consumer, but it's perfect for patients needing a strain that can expertly annihilate pain associated with spinal injury.

Descending from some of the earliest indicas of Afghanistan, Mazar I Sharif is a relentless painkiller with a potency you can see on her heavy blanket of crystal trichomes. Afghani indicas have a reputation for their high cannabinoid contents, so it isn't hard to imagine that so many patients have found relief from stubborn pain in Mazar.

Browse more strains suitable for spinal injury.

http://www.leafly.com/news/strains/best-cannabis-strains-for-treating-pain

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

good trainwrecks have great muscle relaxing action that narcotic muscle relaxers cant hold a candle too ! Great for studying and being upbeat. IBS and migrains . Helps fatique from multipul cheyenne strokes and is quit inspirational and has that feeling of happiness deal . Didnt help perifial nerve pain though. Didnt help me eat either. It helped me sit up litterally.
Blue Dragon has Muscle relaxing effect too. snow and snowcap. some headband too.
I couldnt warm my lower legs and arms without being submerged in hot water and u.w. helped it and restless legs for a few minutes of relief anyway. .

J

jeff1962

Ive found sativa leaning phenos of the fire cut and raskal og have been the best for back pain..

C

critical

My neviles wreak pheno of moonshine haze is proving to be one the best pain relief buds to make meds out of at the mo plus it is a very good and strong sleep aid with my friend with stage 4 lung cancer I'm caring for at the mo I think everyone should look into this strain for med extractions but any better suggestions I would love to hear so I know if there are better options x

Last edited:
420circuit

420circuit

Afghans are mentioned often for pain relief, Indicas in general, but also some sativas like Diesel. Med Man Brand Seeds are available here and I see a couple with "pain killer" in their names. Black Domina x The Purps is either The Black or Purple Arrow and is mentioned for pain also. I am actually looking for Black Domina in Colorado today, specifically as part of my pain control strain search. My latest treatment for neuropathic pain is a 650mg capsule of R-14er (Charlotte's Web) and 325mg of high THC oil, last few days was Harlequin, today is Goji OG. Going to make Blue Dream oil tomorrow. Still looking for a heavy body stone Indica that doesn't render the patient unconscious. (sleep) Black Domina looks like a candidate, need to find it to test.

420circuit

420circuit

Been testing strains for their pain treatment abilities by making into edible oil and putting into capsules with coconut oil. Made oil with Harlequin, Blue Dream and Goji OG, testing with 100mg in daytime and 325mg at night. Was surprised that Goji worked better than Harlequin for me, trying the BD again tonight. They all help, trying to pick a winner.

420circuit

420circuit

Always interesting to see what others are finding with this subject, pain relief with cannabis. Ran Meltdown from 303 Seeds a couple years ago and found it to be helpful, Bubblegum, Blueberry and something else. Going to try their Ambulance. Does anyone have a "Novocaine body stone" strain suggestion? Strong Indicas knock me down and put me to sleep, wish there was a strain that would let me stay awake to enjoy the show!:D

SmokyPockets

SmokyPockets

Herijuana is a good one for me, I got bad knees, back, ankles , wrists... Everything kinda.i guess 30+ years of skateboarding will do that to ya. Anyway, heri works great, not much flavorwise, but keeps the pain in check. Easy to overdo it and go into system shutdown though too.

Top Bottom