What are the consequences of high humidity levels?

• Thread starter Cdub97
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cdub97

Cdub97

I guess I gotta buy a little 1 pint dehumidifier. RH in my tent is hovering in the mid to upper 80’s.

I’ve got good airflow inside but it’s a homemade tent and I’m not using an inlet...it’s just slightly drafty and not sealed up. The plant mass and the moisture in the pots is just accumulating moisture in there.

I haven’t had any problems that I’ve noticed yet. What kinds of things am I bound to run into if I don’t get it down?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I find with a ventilated grow its better to condition the house air or the room the tent is in or like me a lung room with a/c blown in from the next room. Already dehumidified and proper temp.

In summer the exhaust goes out the house chimney. In winter its released under my living room for supplemental heat.

10w30

10w30

Supporter
my seedlings 4 inches tall , 1 fell over when humidity got too high overnight last night. holding it up with a twist tie now. water dopplets formed on the leafs and caused it to bend over.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

my seedlings 4 inches tall , 1 fell over when humidity got too high overnight last night. holding it up with a twist tie now. water dopplets formed on the leafs and caused it to bend over.

You sure dont want so much humidity that water forms on the leaves. You are so wet you are at dew point.

SadBadGrower

SadBadGrower

I find with a ventilated grow its better to condition the house air or the room the tent is in or like me a lung room with a/c blown in from the next room. Already dehumidified and proper temp.

In summer the exhaust goes out the house chimney. In winter its released under my living room for supplemental heat.
I do the same thing. I condition the air in the room how I want it then pull it into where my plants are.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Mold and fungi are apt to happen with high rh, shoot my rh is low around 20, but the 2 plants im running toof decay by methisto aside from an early problem with thrips things are now going good, plants are 46 days old and are flowering nice, its winter can you crack your window? This might lower your rh, i ussaley run a humidifier but it does not seem nessasary with this strain.

20191206 100454
Moshmen

Moshmen

I made the mistake of thinking a small humidifier would help, unfortunately the amount of moisture it takes out of the air in a day is negligible
I run a room dehumidifier outside the tent the some extra damp rid tanks if I need inside. Mostly cuz of space buts seems to work

Cdub97

Cdub97

An air conditioner? I realize they pull moisture but I’d also be cooling the room. A room that’s already too cool. This is winter.

I already supplement the heat I’m scavenging in my tent off my LED fixtures with a 250w heat lamp run off a heat mat thermostat. If I added A/C I’d be running it and the lamp to compensate 24/7. You guys paying that electric bill?!

In my tent that small humidifier will make a difference. Pulling a pint of water out of the air every day in that tiny 21sq/ft footprint is significant. Well, if it’s not you guys can tell me you told me so.

My RH has been at 90% + the last couple days. Putting that small humidifier in will surely help.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

An air conditioner? I realize they pull moisture but I’d also be cooling the room. A room that’s already too cool. This is winter.

I already supplement the heat I’m scavenging in my tent off my LED fixtures with a 250w heat lamp run off a heat mat thermostat. If I added A/C I’d be running it and the lamp to compensate 24/7. You guys paying that electric bill?!

In my tent that small humidifier will make a difference. Pulling a pint of water out of the air every day in that tiny 21sq/ft footprint is significant. Well, if it’s not you guys can tell me you told me so.

My RH has been at 90% + the last couple days. Putting that small humidifier in will surely help.

Im all for seeing what the little unit can do. But understand that every drop of water poured in the pot will transpire and end up back in the air. Growers figure out how much water they will use and size the dehumidifier accordingly.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If in a tent I would increase the air exchange and control the room the tent is in. Just my 0..2 cents.

Also a 1 pint will not work I promise you. To give you an idea I grow in hydro so it will be a bit more but after 4 weeks I'm pulling over 5gals of water a day out of my dehumidifier and AC. I collect both so I know. Now even at half that your not going to do squat with that unit.

An AC unit pulls moisture but not as effectively as a dehumidifier. Also a dehuey will aid in warmth as they give off more heat and the cooling they provide to pull the moisture out. Same with an air conditioner.. only the hot air is vented outside

I feel there is no cheap solution to your problem although you have many options.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

If you are running ac and a humidifier in winter and are suffering from high rh turn off the humidifier and crack the window this should lower your rh as its so dry outside, or you can buy a de humidifier.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Last year i put a small humidifier in my tent bc my rh was so low, this did not work well and after a week had to pull out of tent and close door to room and put humidifier away from tent this worked well and was gonna do again but my plants are happy so if its not broken im not gona try and fix it.

Top Bottom