What Are the Myths of Growing Indoors?

• Thread starter Cannabinoid2112
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannabinoid2112

Cannabinoid2112

Hello guys. I'm new here to the forum and there's quite a few questions that I have being that this is only my second year to grow. I've done a lot of online research and a lot of sites differ from one another on topics such as light wavelength for veg and flower, flushing, and toxicities and deficiencies. Last year I just kinda threw a light setup together using led grow light bulbs from Wal-Mart that were mixed colors and bought fixtures for a few and the others I soldered a power cord on their ends and used microphone stands to hold them. The stands work awesome because you can get every angle or position you can think of and enough reach so that the stands aren't in the way. I am unsure if I'm using too much light or too little but I only grow one plant at a time and it has 4 to 5 bulbs shining on it at different angles around the plant. The lights arents mixed well because I have two blue/red led bulbs on one side and 2 red on another side and yellow directly over the top. My plant is flowering right now and I need to know if this arrangement will have negative effects. The red lights are almost far red (630nm to 670nm I think) and the blue/red I can't recall but probably 450nm or a little higher. The buds are in the beginning of the flowering stage I think but they could still be considered preflowers. Will this setup confuse the plant? That is my first question. Secondly, today a caught some rainwater in a bucket and used it to water my plant and as soon as I did I realized that the temp of the water was about 40 degrees Fahrenheit (maybe a few degrees lower). I am worried that my plant is gonna hate me for it. The water will only warm up indoors but will the initial cold shock the roots or is this mistake forgivable to a 35 inch tall cannabis plant. I've read that it will more than likely be okay but I could use some more opinions from experienced indoor growers who have made the same mistake. With that said, I just want to know what other Myths are being tossed around out there and which ones have been debunked. Like the topic of uninterrupted darkness or else your plant will trigger itself back into vegetation and giving your plant 10 hours of light and 14 of darkness will make your buds mature faster but will be more sparse. Misinformation is not good knowledge so I just want to weed it out. No pun intended.
16753620008543189894937649602913.jpg

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

What did you conclude from your research on flushing? Have you researched molasses yet? Have you heard that buying premixed nutrients from the big brand names gives you better results than you can achieve mixing your own from complete scratch? You are also of course aware that water droplets on your plants with the lights on is a no no because the drops act like little lenses and burn your plants, right? Or how about that a soil grow is more environmentally friendly than hydroponics? Roots exposed to light cause root rot, of course. CO2 supplementation increases yield. It's the power of belief. Once someone gets it in their mind, and they have group support, it's tough to break through. But at the end of the day, who cares. If they're happy, let them be.

Cannabinoid2112

Cannabinoid2112

When my plant was a few weeks old it got nutrient burn and I flushed the pot a few times and it corrected the problem and the plant has been healthy ever since. Im using a 5 gallon bucket with holes in the sides and bottom and after flushing I haven't had to water it much at all for 3 months. To prevent root rot I've been giving it hydrogen peroxide to help fluff the soil and provide the roots with oxygen and to keep bacteria away and it works very well. It keeps the plant perky and green. I've never flushed before harvest and the bud from last year's grow tasted incredible so I see no need to do it for that purpose.

GranniesGrams

GranniesGrams

When my plant was a few weeks old it got nutrient burn and I flushed the pot a few times and it corrected the problem and the plant has been healthy ever since. Im using a 5 gallon bucket with holes in the sides and bottom and after flushing I haven't had to water it much at all for 3 months. To prevent root rot I've been giving it hydrogen peroxide to help fluff the soil and provide the roots with oxygen and to keep bacteria away and it works very well. It keeps the plant perky and green. I've never flushed before harvest and the bud from last year's grow tasted incredible so I see no need to do it for that purpose.
Look into how bacteria is helpful to break down nutrients in the soil. If you use peroxide in the soil then you will actually kill off a lot of the good bacteria as well. The best way to prevent root rot is to control fungus nets, water very intermittently and only want when they are dry. Without the good bacteria many vital nutrients will not be able to be absorbed as they are dependent on the bacteria to change them into a usable product.

HunterBrandon

HunterBrandon

Your light situation is odd. Most of us use some sort of led flat panel grow light, you can find them dirt cheap on eBay, look for Yuson brand. They come with hanging hardware so you can return the mic stands to your band. I would recommend replacing your lights. You don't need different colors for veg and flower, it's not metal halide for veg and hps for flower anymore. The Led grow lights do both very well. You don't have to know anything about wavelengths or nanometers. You've made something way more complicated than it is.
These are 39 bucks free ship. Way easier and far superior to what you are doing with bulbs. One of these on your one plant will be fine. Two will give you better coverage when the plant gets big, but one will get you there, I've done it many times.
S l500

GranniesGrams

GranniesGrams

Hello guys. I'm new here to the forum and there's quite a few questions that I have being that this is only my second year to grow. I've done a lot of online research and a lot of sites differ from one another on topics such as light wavelength for veg and flower, flushing, and toxicities and deficiencies. Last year I just kinda threw a light setup together using led grow light bulbs from Wal-Mart that were mixed colors and bought fixtures for a few and the others I soldered a power cord on their ends and used microphone stands to hold them. The stands work awesome because you can get every angle or position you can think of and enough reach so that the stands aren't in the way. I am unsure if I'm using too much light or too little but I only grow one plant at a time and it has 4 to 5 bulbs shining on it at different angles around the plant. The lights arents mixed well because I have two blue/red led bulbs on one side and 2 red on another side and yellow directly over the top. My plant is flowering right now and I need to know if this arrangement will have negative effects. The red lights are almost far red (630nm to 670nm I think) and the blue/red I can't recall but probably 450nm or a little higher. The buds are in the beginning of the flowering stage I think but they could still be considered preflowers. Will this setup confuse the plant? That is my first question. Secondly, today a caught some rainwater in a bucket and used it to water my plant and as soon as I did I realized that the temp of the water was about 40 degrees Fahrenheit (maybe a few degrees lower). I am worried that my plant is gonna hate me for it. The water will only warm up indoors but will the initial cold shock the roots or is this mistake forgivable to a 35 inch tall cannabis plant. I've read that it will more than likely be okay but I could use some more opinions from experienced indoor growers who have made the same mistake. With that said, I just want to know what other Myths are being tossed around out there and which ones have been debunked. Like the topic of uninterrupted darkness or else your plant will trigger itself back into vegetation and giving your plant 10 hours of light and 14 of darkness will make your buds mature faster but will be more sparse. Misinformation is not good knowledge so I just want to weed it out. No pun intended.View attachment 1326294
Welcome ! I'm new myself.

I Probably don't have as much information on those light parameter specifics. I am just (a little) understanding on light needs of cannabis. I advise a light meter. I got a ton of information from Dr Bruce Bugbee; https://Upload Photos https://www.thcfarmer.com/attachmen...594df68b4cd8c1c5d37e6d61fyoutu.be/0I6awuKSp2c . He is also featured on this dudes YouTube, MrGrowIt. There is a lot of discussion on light spectrum and effects of blue n red on cannabis in the lab. This is Cannabis Research at its best!

Personally I recently purchased a 600w led by grow station 640. This is my first "big girl" light. 🦸‍♀️ After starting with a 100 W LED (50/50 Red/Blue) board. Aka Crap Board.... I love that this is full spectrum and I can control light intensity throughout the entire grow. ✨

I screwed up cpl times then got the light meter. 🙃

👩‍⚕️

GranniesGrams

GranniesGrams

Your light situation is odd. Most of us use some sort of led flat panel grow light, you can find them dirt cheap on eBay, look for Yuson brand. They come with hanging hardware so you can return the mic stands to your band. I would recommend replacing your lights. You don't need different colors for veg and flower, it's not metal halide for veg and hps for flower anymore. The Led grow lights do both very well. You don't have to know anything about wavelengths or nanometers. You've made something way more complicated than it is.
These are 39 bucks free ship. Way easier and far superior to what you are doing with bulbs. One of these on your one plant will be fine. Two will give you better coverage when the plant gets big, but one will get you there, I've done it many times.
View attachment 1326472
🫨😳🥺😭 these would have been so much better!

Cannabinoid2112

Cannabinoid2112

Thank you for that info. I did read something about that. I guess I was only thinking harmful bacteria and that explains why my buds are growing so slowly. It was mainly for the purpose of keeping the roots from drowning after flushing. Hopefully some good bacteria is still present. If not, would there be any solution on how to introduce it back into the soil? If not it's not a big deal because I learn from my mistakes and they are part of the whole learning process. I feel like I'm gonna learn a lot on this forum and have less mistakes in the future. As for my light setup, how critical is the wavelength of light and is it okay to mix wavelengths? I am poor so I'm just using grow light bulbs from Walmart but I have two blue/red and two red which are approximately 630nm at the peak. I was using the blue/red for vegetation and red for flowering but my plant went through the flowering stretch and I have limited grow space so I low stress trained them to lower the canopy and spread it out so I needed more light so I combined my veg lights with my bloom lights to make sure all the bud sites were receiving something. What are the rules on lights?

Cannabinoid2112

Cannabinoid2112

I apologize. I am just now seeing that you answered that last question. Oops

GranniesGrams

GranniesGrams

Welcome ! I'm new myself.

I Probably don't have as much information on those light parameter specifics. I am just (a little) understanding on light needs of cannabis. I advise a light meter. I got a ton of information from Dr Bruce Bugbee; https://Upload Photos https://www.thcfarmer.com/attachmen...594df68b4cd8c1c5d37e6d61fyoutu.be/0I6awuKSp2c . He is also featured on this dudes YouTube, MrGrowIt. There is a lot of discussion on light spectrum and effects of blue n red on cannabis in the lab. This is Cannabis Research at its best!

Personally I recently purchased a 600w led by grow station 640. This is my first "big girl" light. 🦸‍♀️ After starting with a 100 W LED (50/50 Red/Blue) board. Aka Crap Board.... I love that this is full spectrum and I can control light intensity throughout the entire grow. ✨

I screwed up cpl times then got the light meter. 🙃

👩‍⚕️
Weeell poop. Didn't know I can't share a youtube link 🤓

GranniesGrams

GranniesGrams

Thank you for that info. I did read something about that. I guess I was only thinking harmful bacteria and that explains why my buds are growing so slowly. It was mainly for the purpose of keeping the roots from drowning after flushing. Hopefully some good bacteria is still present. If not, would there be any solution on how to introduce it back into the soil? If not it's not a big deal because I learn from my mistakes and they are part of the whole learning process. I feel like I'm gonna learn a lot on this forum and have less mistakes in the future. As for my light setup, how critical is the wavelength of light and is it okay to mix wavelengths? I am poor so I'm just using grow light bulbs from Walmart but I have two blue/red and two red which are approximately 630nm at the peak. I was using the blue/red for vegetation and red for flowering but my plant went through the flowering stretch and I have limited grow space so I low stress trained them to lower the canopy and spread it out so I needed more light so I combined my veg lights with my bloom lights to make sure all the bud sites were receiving something. What are the rules on lights?
Ah man I did this so many times... had no idea, friend recommended doing it and I got pictures to prove it. I got this mykos stuff from extreme. It's got good stuff in it like mycorrhizae, you just need to ensure your feeding on a schedule to complete the cycle. 🧘‍♂️

(Don't know how to tag another member but someone just posted an inexpensive board....can check out Amazon too 😀)

TSD

TSD

Ah man I did this so many times... had no idea, friend recommended doing it and I got pictures to prove it. I got this mykos stuff from extreme. It's got good stuff in it like mycorrhizae, you just need to ensure your feeding on a schedule to complete the cycle. 🧘‍♂️

(Don't know how to tag another member but someone just posted an inexpensive board....can check out Amazon too 😀)
You just put @ then start typing thier name, it should appear, then click it, then hit space or sometimes it doesn't tag them. Like this... @GranniesGrams

GranniesGrams

GranniesGrams

You just put @ then start typing thier name, it should appear, then click it, then hit space or sometimes it doesn't tag them. Like this... @GranniesGrams
AAhhh shoulda known to try that. 🎈 @TSD

Latest posts

Top Bottom