What are these insects flying in my room?

• Thread starter GrowGoat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowGoat

GrowGoat

I've notice tiny bugs with big wings flying in my room. I've seen dead ones on my light bulb. They don't seem like gnats..can anyone help identify this pest?

What are these insects flying in my room
What are these insects flying in my room 2
What are these insects flying in my room 3
What are these insects flying in my room 4
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looks like a winged root aphid. No bueno... They will fuck you up. What stage are the plants in?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm in late veg

Id drench the soil with merit 75 (any 75% imidacloprid will do), 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons. Apply it twice one week apart, and keep vegging for another week after the second application. You need at minimum 60 days between application and harvest.
Id also bomb the room in the dark cycle once with konk airguard to knock down the fliers.

If you cant get imidacloprid, or even botanigard 22wp, youre kinda screwed. Chop it all and start over, seriously.

Id inspect your rootzone to confirm but im 99% sure thats a flying RA. Especially since theyre flying into the light.
Do you see a chalky white substance on the surface of the media? One way to check for them is inspect the stem and edges of the pot right after you water it heavily. Youll sometimes see them climb up the stem or edges to escape the flood.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@GrowGoat I checked out the pics on your profile. You absolutely have root aphids. Your only real chance at saving them is Merit 75. Boanigard is less effective and more stressful on already stressed plants.
Thise arent worth flowering until you wipe out the RA's, and thats not always easy.

GrowGoat

GrowGoat

@GrowGoat I checked out the pics on your profile. You absolutely have root aphids. Your only real chance at saving them is Merit 75. Boanigard is less effective and more stressful on already stressed plants.
Thise arent worth flowering until you wipe out the RA's, and thats not always easy.
Thank you for the feed back. Do you think it's a red ass aphid? How hard is it to kill? Do you have a link on the merit? Is it a powder form? And again thank you?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This is a good read up on the pests you have. I dont know what you mean by red ass aphid. Root aphid is what you have and they can be extremely hard to get rid of. Insecticide can work, they did for me, but for a lot of growers their presense means scrapping the plants and starting over after intensive cleaning and replacement of all pots and media etc.

This is the stuff you want. Isnt available on amazon. Im in Canada and cant buy it anywhere so im not sure where to point you. In the US you should be able to get it online somewhere though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004FDUHQA/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
Top Bottom