What are your thoughts about pond mud?

• Thread starter FactorialSecret
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FactorialSecret

FactorialSecret

Hi people! What are your thoughts about using pond mud in the soil mix? I know an old man and he is a bonsai master, he adds 1/3 of prepared commercial grey pond mud to his mix and his bonsais looks amazing! I know that bonsai trees and cannabis are completely different but old man said pond mud is a pretty safe source of nitrogen comparing to animal produced ones. Honestly, i've gave up on soil growing bc constant pests and deficiencies or abundances problems, but my first grow experiences were on soil and that was pretty good weed - scent, high talking, but low yield.
Thanks, big buds to you all!

freezeland2

freezeland2

I know the pot hole region of the northern prairies is very fertile with thousands of years of duck & goose crap in the soil. It’s why farmers up there are draining the prairie. Won’t be any wetlands left at their pace. But yea, pond sediment is usually very fertile.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I know the pot hole region of the northern prairies is very fertile with thousands of years of duck & goose crap in the soil. It’s why farmers up there are draining the prairie. Won’t be any wetlands left at their pace. But yea, pond sediment is usually very fertile.
In the eastern North Carolina peatlands, immigrants from the Netherlands drained Lake Mattamuskeet in order to FARM THE LAKE BOTTOM. The surrounding soils to the lake were just as good, if not better, than the lake bottom, but if there was one thing those guys knew, it was getting rid of water. It was less hassle to drain the lake than clear the forest and pull out the root masses.

mancorn

mancorn

In the eastern North Carolina peatlands, immigrants from the Netherlands drained Lake Mattamuskeet in order to FARM THE LAKE BOTTOM. The surrounding soils to the lake were just as good, if not better, than the lake bottom, but if there was one thing those guys knew, it was getting rid of water. It was less hassle to drain the lake than clear the forest and pull out the root masses.
Yeah but that was 200 years ago.

Was reading this article yesterday 👇 about a pure layer of DDT along the CA coast. I know in my county there’s a lot of lead contamination. Obviously it’s going to depend on where you live. (Hopefully not down stream from a hog manure lagoon. 😀)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom