What could be happening to my seedlings?

• Thread starter Odiesel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Odiesel

Odiesel

I have 3 gelato seedlings all planted on sunday November 1st. They all came up fine one seemed a bit slower than others.
Only been watered with plain tap or bottled water. One of the seedlings started to have what looked like nute burn on first leaves. Now today another one of the seedlings starting to show signs of the same burn like the first seedling.

I'll add pics when on my pc

Odiesel

Odiesel

Here is a photo of all 3 of them yesterday. You can see the one on the bottom right is showing the signs of burns.

20201111 133625

Today here is the one that was first burning yesterday.

20201112 123239

Now we have a second seedling showing same signs.

20201112 123245

Other one is growing great and looks healthy. Dry coco because I added a bit more so it wouldn't fall over.

20201112 123234

Odiesel

Odiesel

Could it be light burn that is causing this? One time they got a few ML of same water that my clones have. Its 2 grams of mega crop per gallon, which is the recommended amount for seedlings, so i dont think it would be too much to burn. It was less than an ounce of water each, and it was watered in with plain water. Possibly that could cause those 2 to burn, but I can't think that since the 3rd seedling is doing great.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Hmmm... Well I know this seems like the most basic thing but do you think it could simply be overwatering? Young plants are quite delicate and extra susceptible to root rot which happens when the soil gets soggy. Its lack of oxygen that causes it. That is what I instantly thought. Your soil looks pretty wet in 2 of those pots. Usually over fertilization (Nitrogen burn) is accompanied by dark green leaves and dark brown shriveling that always starts at the very tip of the center finger of your leaves. Its the sharpest little tip right at the very end that burns its always a dead giveaway. Notice how your leaves are actually yellowing and getting lighter not darker. Also they are wilting a bit and getting that thin wrinkled "paper" like consistency. Im gonna rule out nitrogen burn I really don't think thats what it is. What is your watering regiment like?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Could it be light burn that is causing this? One time they got a few ML of same water that my clones have. Its 2 grams of mega crop per gallon, which is the recommended amount for seedlings, so i dont think it would be too much to burn. It was less than an ounce of water each, and it was watered in with plain water. Possibly that could cause those 2 to burn, but I can't think that since the 3rd seedling is doing great.

Yes I thought about that also. It is possible the light got too close and started cooking/curling. That would for sure be my next diagnosis. How far away was the light?

Odiesel

Odiesel

Yes I thought about that also. It is possible the light got too close and started cooking/curling. That would for sure be my next diagnosis. How far away was the light?
Yeah im thinking thats the problem because I moved the one that initially showed problems out of its place and replaced it with the one that showed problems today.
They were about 15 inches from the LED it didn't seem hot and I didn't think anything because the other one was doing fine.

I moved them further away from the light and will monitor them in the coming days.

Odiesel

Odiesel

let them dry out
less h20
I don't think overwatering is the problem although i will consider it. I am in coco and not soil so it might look wet but it is not actually that moist. I will back off on the watering and they have been lowered away from the light. Now over 2 feet away from the LED

johnsmith_559

johnsmith_559

so download a free light meter app on app store for an easy light test .
Lots has been made out of PAR ( mostly from the light sellers)
PAR has never not been a thing in growing.
footcandles has been somehow forgotten. Footcandles or fc is the intensity of photons or volume of light . PAR is the color spectrum.
they are both needed to describe light. what color and how much of that color spectrum .
anyway seedlings and young cuttings should be around 1500 to 2000 .footcandles.
what was it your feeding?
prefortified media can sometimes be too strong for small plants as necrosis is a really good indicator of salt damage.
they look ok though . weed is hearty. they will be fine 😃

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

I have 3 gelato seedlings all planted on sunday November 1st. They all came up fine one seemed a bit slower than others.
Only been watered with plain tap or bottled water. One of the seedlings started to have what looked like nute burn on first leaves. Now today another one of the seedlings starting to show signs of the same burn like the first seedling.

I'll add pics when on my pc
What do you have going for air circulation a fan blowing on then at least. Or do you have a intake and exhaust set up with a fan. Air movement is very important. And even in coco with no air movement it will take longer to dry. I normally put my lights 16 to 18 inches away from top but lights vary and in flower i slowly drop my lights down from 16 to 14 to 12 inches from top of canopy.

Odiesel

Odiesel

How often are you watering, at what pH, and what are you currently feeding them & at what ppm?
Currently they get watered at ph 5.8-.9 at around 100ppm the feeding is just a light dose of Megacrop 1 part

Odiesel

Odiesel

so download a free light meter app on app store for an easy light test .
Lots has been made out of PAR ( mostly from the light sellers)
PAR has never not been a thing in growing.
footcandles has been somehow forgotten. Footcandles or fc is the intensity of photons or volume of light . PAR is the color spectrum.
they are both needed to describe light. what color and how much of that color spectrum .
anyway seedlings and young cuttings should be around 1500 to 2000 .footcandles.
what was it your feeding?
prefortified media can sometimes be too strong for small plants as necrosis is a really good indicator of salt damage.
they look ok though . weed is hearty. they will be fine 😃
Thanks man I'm sure they will be ok i'll get a few update pics in a bit.

I tried to get a light meter app on my phone but its too cheap and doesn't have a light sensor on it LOL

Odiesel

Odiesel

What do you have going for air circulation a fan blowing on then at least. Or do you have a intake and exhaust set up with a fan. Air movement is very important. And even in coco with no air movement it will take longer to dry. I normally put my lights 16 to 18 inches away from top but lights vary and in flower i slowly drop my lights down from 16 to 14 to 12 inches from top of canopy.
Yeah ive got a 16" hurricane fan mounted on the wall of my closet maybe just need to up the fan speed a bit

Odiesel

Odiesel

Here is a little update on the seedlings Today is 17 days since they went into the ground. I moved them further away from the light last thursday the 12th when i first posted about them. They are being watered at 5.8ph and about 100ppm of Megacrop.

The light is around 30" away from them currently and they seem to be doing better.
20201118 150738

#2 that was never harmed has been growing quite well.

20201118 150837

Here is #1 Gelato it seems to be doing better slight discoloration on some of the new leave sets still.

20201118 150824

Gelato #3 was the slowest to sprout of all them. The 5 set of leaves have some burns forming on them.
20201118 150808

Odiesel

Odiesel

& how often are you getting run off, and what percent run off are you getting, are you checking the ph and PPM of your runoff?

Good to see there looking better!
I'll water once or twice a day depending how the pot feels it will run off a bit don't measure how much each one gets but i'd say a few ounces or so each time. I have a tray i just built so all the run off from the other vegging plants go into the runoff tray. I gave them some recharge today as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom