What Do Yellow Veins Mean? ...or Splotchy Yellow?

• Thread starter Feetwet
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Feetwet

What do yellow veins mean or splotchy yellow

Hey everyone, the top two leaves in the photo are from the same flowering outdoor plant (two or three weeks in? About 4 feet tall. Green Crack). The one on the right is just a further progression of what is happening on the left. Veins are turning yellow, with the leaf eventually turning completely yellow. They were fed 30-10-10 in veg, and 20-20-20 just recently, to transition into flower. I think my PPM meter is off but I've been feeding them on the upper end. I fed at 1300ppm (I think it was higher now that I know my meter is off) but it burnt some of them (one particular strain) so the last two times it was 1200ppm 30-10-10, and then 1000ppm 20-20-20. I can't find any info on yellowing veins. Someone mentioned Mg but the veins stay green in Mg deficiency.

The leaf on the bottom, in the middle, is from another plant that's early in flower. I sprayed with sulfur a couple weeks ago which burned the plants, so maybe the blotchy yellow is just damage from that? Or could it be Mg?

Also, does anyone know how to really rinse off wettable sulfur sprayed on? It's been a while, and I've sprayed with water twice so far which is a pain in the ass (no rain), but after messing with them for a while I end up smelling like sulfur again, and that smell (like burnt hair) will *not* come out of my clothes in regular washing. Does anyone know how to really get rid of the sulfur on the plants, and the clothes? I'm really worried it's going to make the bud taste like gunpowder or burnt hair.

philbu

philbu

i had a very similar issue with my newbie grow of Green Crack last year. yellowing veins had me stumped, a nitrogen deficiency usually exhibits itself the other way around, interveinal chlorosis.
I decided perhaps different strains can exhibit slightly different characteristics with regard to deficiencies. I got some Revive, supposed to clear up yellowing, has N, calcium, mag, and iron and can be used as foliar spray. It did seem to help, harvest was fine.
I later learned it may have not been a good idea to switch immediately from Grow to Bloom nutes when going to 12/12. probably better to phase from one to the other for 2-3 weeks.
just my experience, with so many variables, diagnostics can be tough.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Where abouts are you located, latitude-wise? What have the temps been like? PPM's seem a bit high imo, but I'm not real familiar with your nute line.

As for getting that sulfur out of your clothes, you can try the concoction I used to use down in the oil patch for my cover alls. A mixture of Dawn dish soap (has to be dawn), Simply Green and some of this purple cleaning solution, used to get it at costco. Roughly a cup of each into a 3 gallon bug sprayer, top off with piping hot water. Spray clothes immediately while water is still hot and let soak over night. Throw in the wash with Tide and you should be good. One or two treatments things should smell a bit better. Don't quote me on the safety of the concoction, that wasn't really a concern considering the line of work I was doing. All I know is it worked. Even dry cleaners couldn't get those coveralls clean like I did with that solution.

Your plant problem, sounds like something Seamaiden may be able to help with. Not gonna tag her though because I feel it's rude to drag someone into a thread unannounced like that. Not volunteering her by any means, she just knows her shit when it comes to deficiencies/plant health.

F

Feetwet

i had a very similar issue with my newbie grow of Green Crack last year. yellowing veins had me stumped, a nitrogen deficiency usually exhibits itself the other way around, interveinal chlorosis.
I decided perhaps different strains can exhibit slightly different characteristics with regard to deficiencies. I got some Revive, supposed to clear up yellowing, has N, calcium, mag, and iron and can be used as foliar spray. It did seem to help, harvest was fine.
I later learned it may have not been a good idea to switch immediately from Grow to Bloom nutes when going to 12/12. probably better to phase from one to the other for 2-3 weeks.
just my experience, with so many variables, diagnostics can be tough.

Yea I mean I've been pulling fan leaves, anyway.. I'm not worried but I like to keep things optimal. I haven't given them any supplemental secondaries since I'm using well water, so I'll add some Ca Mg S and see what happens. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Where abouts are you located, latitude-wise? What have the temps been like? PPM's seem a bit high imo, but I'm not real familiar with your nute line.

As for getting that sulfur out of your clothes, you can try the concoction I used to use down in the oil patch for my cover alls. A mixture of Dawn dish soap (has to be dawn), Simply Green and some of this purple cleaning solution, used to get it at costco. Roughly a cup of each into a 3 gallon bug sprayer, top off with piping hot water. Spray clothes immediately while water is still hot and let soak over night. Throw in the wash with Tide and you should be good. One or two treatments things should smell a bit better. Don't quote me on the safety of the concoction, that wasn't really a concern considering the line of work I was doing. All I know is it worked. Even dry cleaners couldn't get those coveralls clean like I did with that solution.

Your plant problem, sounds like something Seamaiden may be able to help with. Not gonna tag her though because I feel it's rude to drag someone into a thread unannounced like that. Not volunteering her by any means, she just knows her shit when it comes to deficiencies/plant health.

Temps bounce around but quite a few heat spells hitting us peaking a little over 100f. They dealt with that fine before. PPMs high? I give them as much as they can handle every other watering (and I water twice a week at most, so nutes once a week and then just water with some humic acid) and they seem to be enjoying it. I have some Simple Green so I'll try that. The internet tells me to soak the clothes in baking soda. I wonder if that works then maybe I could rinse the plants off with baking soda/water? Need to Google that. Thanks for the tips!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would really like to know where on the plant you pulled those leaves. This is why I like to see pix of the whole plant.

Right now, IF they're lowers, I'd say either heat or the natural progression of the grow, this is the time of year when OD plants are going to start that lowers yellowing unless they're really being pushed (something I don't do). If these are mid-plant, I'd say you've got a K- or P- going on, though I don't see any of the other usual signs for either of those so I'm landing on heat and/or N being used up.

If the other products aren't working for getting the stank off (baking soda is fine for the girls, but it may leave a residue you'll probably want to rinse off at some point prior to harvest), then you might need to go with something like Odorcide 214. I use it for super-stinky shit, usually dog piss soaked into the carpet (I have an old dog and she's got problems). It's actually a product used by crime scene cleaner-uppers, and it works amazingly well. Keep in mind, for it to neutralize odors, it must come into physical contact with whatever is generating the odor. Make sense?

F

Feetwet

Hello again Seamaiden :) Thanks for the cleaning tip. I forgot to mention that they were lower fan leaves and they're progressing upwards. So it must be a mobile nutrient. Maybe it really is just nitrogen. I was scared I was overfeeding so I was assuming there was plenty of N.. especially with the 30-10-10, but maybe they want more. Maybe I'll give them 20-20-20 again and then next time hit 'em with 10-52-26 (10-52-10 + 0-0-16 kelp extract).

...but I thought veins stayed green in early N deficiency?

Also, any idea what the splotchy chlorosis on the other leaf is?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
IME it's usually indicative of P-. Since you're using these high number salts, I say go easy, feed more often but at a lower rate. Watch for salt build-up, of course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom