What Do You Tell Your Kids About Your Garden?

• Thread starter CIRE408
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CIRE408

CIRE408

How'sit going farmers. I'm a parent of an 8 year old. He's recently become more interested in what kind of plants I'm growing in the backyard. I tell him it's medicine. I try and not to let him see me smoke. Just took him to Reggae on the River with me needless to say everyone was smoking. He asked questions again and I told him it was medicine. Wanted to know people's approach and experience in dealing with this situation. Definitely don't want him telling his school daddy's growing medicine in the backyard even though if he did it's legal here. Thanks and bless up!!!

Dan789

Dan789

Glad your in a "legal" state, otherwise somewhat of an "Orwellian" situation.
I remember the TV show "kids will say the darndest things", (way back, I'm 66) it was very lite hearted, but we're in a much different context now.
As far as my sage advice, the truth never goes out of style, and you only have to remember one story. That said how it goes over with a young child definitely needs some leed up, and something that doesn't undercut his understanding of what your doing (morality wise). Then of course followed with the caveats regarding him staying away from "drugs" until he gets mature enough to be able to make those type decisions for himself.
Sorry, no real life experience to draw from. You've got your work cut out for you, good luck. Peace.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

The only reason he is curious is because he sees how much Daddy is into it. Just tell him what it is and don't make a big deal out of it, let him go back to being a little boy. Take him fishing spend some time with him.

Smerb

Smerb

I have 3 kids. My youngest came out to the garden about 3 years ago. I told her it was mint. I don't really know why it just came out quick so I stuck with it. But I didn't grow outdoor like that after that. I don't hide because that makes kids later want to find out what's behind those closes doors. I'm in a legal and medical state.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

I never hide it.i dnt go n there rm n roll n smoke,but if i go outside n they find me i dnt hide nothing.plants etc...hiding it,and making it mysterious is what makes it seem like a drug
I agree making it mysterious or are trying to hide it like it's some kind of big deal is what will make them curious. If you are just too act like it wasn't a big deal then it wouldn't be. Tell them it's marijuana it's just a plant. They would probably go back to doing what kids do and forget about it.

B

Backwards

I agree with stiffneck
You should try to tell your kids the truth in a kid friendly way.
Awesome hes interested in gardening though.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

I have an 11 year old. The best thing was the truth and now there's no attention or curiosity to what I'm doing afew years later

G gnome

G gnome

I never hide it.i dnt go n there rm n roll n smoke,but if i go outside n they find me i dnt hide nothing.plants etc...hiding it,and making it mysterious is what makes it seem like a drug
I agree

xavier7995

xavier7995

Weed stuff is on the news quite a bit so we have explained it is a plant that some people use as medicine and some for fun, similar to alcohol, something for grown ups. My wife just broke it all down really well to him over dinner. Worth noting he just turned five so his frame of reference is a bit different than those of you with 10 year olds.

At this juncture, we keep plants hidden/locked. We do not smoke around him. I do not want him to ever smoke cigs so do not want to set a bad example. He doesn't really have a filter on what he says to people, no reason to have him start talking about dads hobby of growing plants inside, so it just stays out of sight. Fully concur that trying to hide it makes it a weird situation, will be open about it once he is older. Tbh, I would prefer he doesn't get into any of the things I like to do, I am self destructive as shit and am trying to help him walk a different path through life. I am not a role model but find myself in the role so try and live up to it.

420Artie

420Artie

I used to tell my kids they were chile plants until one day he peeks into my grow room and tells me dad I know what those plants are there smoke plants I saw them on the news.

brazel

brazel

Man when I was a kid cops came to school and try to get us to narc on our parents...D.A.R.E. program!

My parents never hid it from us, It was a semi natural to us that we've always known we never really had a discussion about it till I got in trouble for taken his weed when I was older like junior high

xavier7995

xavier7995

Oh man, my best buddies dad was a grower and had trash bags full sitting around all the time. We skimmed an awful lot. Getting caught was a weird "getting a talkin to" as he was a burly biker guy and kinda scary to our 11 year old selves. Turned from a "wtf kids don't do that" talk into "here is how to sex a plant and how to tell country of origin" talk. I still think of weed based on country of origin, Thai Mexican columbian etc.

KneeDeep34

KneeDeep34

I just say "mind your business for now, I'll explain when you are older" I teach my kids not to be nosey about anything. I feel it will help them later in life.

Top Bottom