What do YOU think is better, Organic or Synthetic? And Why?

• Thread starter THCMonster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I never used azomite, but the commerical facility stopped using it cause when we trialed it on a couple plants we failed lab tests for heavy metals. But it might have been the company we got the AZOMITE from.
I use Down To Earth brand azomite in my soil mix. I went and looked at the box to see any info on the heavy metals and there is a link for more info but, it didn't lead me to any specific info but only more leads to follow.

IMG 2469
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Thats crazy i was under the impression that Pure Blend Grow/Bloom still had synthetics! Thats awesome that they dont.

I personally do a kelp fermentation and it is unmatched for bloom enhancer and natural root stimulant.
Yes, pure blend pro does have synthetic nutrients in it. Not much really, but thats why it cant be labeled fully organic.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The PBP series is about 80% organic 20% mineral, the kind series I believe is the opposite (80% mineral 20% organic)

The only reason pure blend pro is not fully organic is how the natural elements are processed. There are only natural incredients. The calcium is even carbonate not nitrate.

Kind is chemical fertilizer but the micro nutes are subbed with seaweed extract. And that is the only organic input.

shaganja

shaganja

Ive always wanted to try an outdoor grow with seaweed from the Great Lakes!
In the u.p. we are doing it! A boat chops seaweed through the channels, in the les cheneaux islands, so the boats can cruise without pesky seaweed in your prop. A buddy picked some up. Not sure if hes top dressing, or making juice.

shaganja

shaganja

This is my first year, no till, regenerative. I have spent many hours listening to,
Chris trump
Elaine Ingram
Jeff Rosenfeld
Swami
Kevin jodrey
Dragonfly earth
And they have me fully convinced regenerative is not only the best way to grow, it is also the only way to help the earth. Runoff from bottled nutes is toxic, and hurts the soil. Regenerative creates more life in the soil. And of course so much less waste. No buying new bags of soil, or bottles. Just feed the soil. So am companion planting, and using worm towers for fresh castings, and fermented plant juices. Kinda liking this Korean style. Am noticing we have all of our nutrients around us all the time. Am very lucky for my area. We have fish markets for scraps, and seaweed choppers, to get that. We have farms everywhere for all kinds of manure. Shit, I saw llama when I was looking in the spring! Lol and when we have all of the best green manures, growing right outside, shit, just go pick, add sugar, make juice. Dilute, and feed! Am not only an organic fan, am a believer in regenerative over every other method! Am a native, so the hippy juice is in my blood! Lol

Madmax

Madmax

It seems like I seen a video and a guy said the citric acid kills the microbes too. I have seen so many damn articles and videos on my info hunt. I don't remember where it was. I keep reading you shouldn't have to worry about ph in your irrigation water with living soil. The microbes buffer it. IDK it was on the internet so it must be true! 🤩
You can use fulvic acid as an organic ph down.helps with plants uptake of nutes ,can b intergrated into your ipm regiment to fight insects too..and a chelator

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just gonna say nitrate is nitrate. The difference between organic and inorganic salts is that organic nutrients need to be broken down into inorganic salts before they can be taken up by the plants and contain a carbon molecule... orgainic nutrients CANNOT be taken up by plants until broken down into inorganic salts by the bacteria and enzymes etc. By the time they are broken down into available nutrients they are essentially the same. Like i said a nitrate is a nitrate no matter the source its derived from.

Now there are benefits to either I would say the most beneficial trait to organics is that is supports a diverse microbiology in the media of which some provide benefits to the plants. That and the fact orgainic nutrients are not leeched as easily from the soil since they break down into inorganic salts over time.

I won't really go into benefits of either but fact....plants do not take up orgainic nutrients they take up inorganic salts that are derived from organic sources. If you somehow think plants take up nutrients in organic form you have been duped by the marketing for money scam of that industry.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I prefer fully organic / soil building, but I admit that bioavailable bottles nutrients (organic or synthetic) have some advantages indoors. Soil building really shines in the ground or in very large containers.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I prefer fully organic / soil building, but I admit that bioavailable bottles nutrients (organic or synthetic) have some advantages indoors. Soil building really shines in the ground or in very large containers.
I absolutely agree with you. Its about building the soil and less risk to environment. Growing in pots indoors with orgainic nutrients then throwing the soil out kinda defeats the purpose in the terms most organic growers think of. Of course benefits to both but this notion of inorganic nutrients somehow being bad or organic producing a better cleaner product is absurd. In the end a plant will only take up inorganic nutrients.

I'm not bashing organics by any means rather just calling it the way it is. Like the whole dam nutrient business.... slap a fancy label on it and call it a miracle with a bunch of misleading info and claims.

Short read for those shocked by this.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Growing in pots indoors with orgainic nutrients then throwing the soil out kinda defeats the purpose in the terms most organic growers think of

Yeah at that point IMO the main advantage you get with organics is ease of use and disadvantage is lack of control

Of course benefits to both but this notion of inorganic nutrients somehow being bad or organic producing a better cleaner product is absurd

If you are really worried about a clean product you need inputs tested for heavy metals, pesticides and herbicides. Some “organic” products can be the worst offenders due to biomagnification. Especially big name soils and composts, which are generally rebranded municipal green waste.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah at that point IMO the main advantage you get with organics is ease of use and disadvantage is lack of control

If you are really worried about a clean product you need inputs tested for heavy metals, pesticides and herbicides. Some “organic” products can be the worst offenders due to biomagnification. Especially big name soils and composts, which are generally rebranded municipal green waste.
I couldn't agree more. Garbage in equal garbage out no matter the source.

I am actually considering some organic stuff in coco in the future. For ease and benefits of more diverse microbial life. Its definitely a little more tricky but like you say there are benefits to both. No matter if its indoor container or outdoor in the ground. Honestly outdoor in the ground I cant see why anyone would not go organic and supplement inorganic only if needed. If quality organics are used the benefits of a well built soil over time are huge and makes growing so much easier.

Just my opinions.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I couldn't agree more. Garbage in equal garbage out no matter the source.

I am actually considering some organic stuff in coco in the future. For ease and benefits of more diverse microbial life. Its definitely a little more tricky but like you say there are benefits to both. No matter if its indoor container or outdoor in the ground. Honestly outdoor in the ground I cant see why anyone would not go organic and supplement inorganic only if needed. If quality organics are used the benefits of a well built soil over time are huge and makes growing so much easier.

Just my opinions.
This is why I am using organic nutrients from roots with a "supersoil" layer below a coco/perlite layer. Just for ease and trying to manage organic advantages without soil wet/dry cycle concerns. Basically supplement nutrient levels at various levels to balance it out ish. So far I think it is going okay.

As far as inorganic vs organic, I think it's kind of arrogant to say it's solved one way or another. I trend toward organic only because I'm pretty sure Nature knows more about this stuff than all of humanity combined, but she definitely knows more than me, so I'm going to try to just imitate her and hope for the best with regards to any quality other than yield, which we have obviously gotten a decent grasp of as humanity.

Last edited:
R

redshift75

i buy organic pesticides and synthetic nutrients. To the best i can. I go more for clean raw pure nutrients but for the most part im dyna gro, and i run products here and there to see what they offer. Some times its nice to see if you are missing out on something great. Every product has its place. its more understanding each products place that gives the benefit for me than the product itself. i fall somewhere in the middle with lots of organic processes with the simplification of synthetic nutes. Which in theory if done right acts more of a boost to make more nutrients available. With the soil and amendments and all those living things doing their part. Much easier balance for my methods.

I dont really see one better than the other as they both have a spectrum of benefits which breaks down to user preference. More than preference the users ability to do it. If one were truly superior in all facets this discussion wouldn't be needed. So its not really a 'This is better then that'.... but more a point to the benefits one can gain from the working knowledge of both methods and their symbiosis/roles they play in the grand scheme. I dont like it to come across to new growers as one being superior by majority. When most growers have taken years to find what works for them. If i found another set of nutes for the same price as dyna gro that was as easy to use and control, id be all over it. But at the end of the day when comparing everything in that price range. Just is my preference to stick with dyna gro. As im sure which ever side of the spectrum id choose i could get relative results.

To the point of damage and negative impacts brought up by some of the people @shaganja posted. Its my opinion**. Most cannabis growers use amended soil and pots so hard to talk about what over use of nutrients and large scale environmental impacts have to the land when over used or can do to the soil. I havent met too many cannabis growers who werent far more ecoconcious to their products and there use. Than the commercial farmer counter part - as far as that discussion goes. I can see an argument to plastic waste. but not really eco waste or environmental damage from synth-nute use from the products themselves when used responsibly. We dont really use unsustainable products being hunted to extinction. Considering lots of us compost and all those things that would be a balance to our small scale grows. Probably much larger the talk of environmental impacts from mismanagement then proper use and disposal. Dumping your reservoir in a garden bed vs down the drain. Me applying dyna gro to my farm field isnt going to destroy my forest. I can certainly damage the soil to where things will only grow when given nutrients. But for me that falls under mismanagement vs the product itself.

Regardless of where you fall. I believe the goal when growing is using as little product as possible to achieve the best results. I dont want to use 35x more products to achieve 5% more yield and have to tell myself it tastes better to justify the expense. Whether organic or synth.

Just my 2 cents on synth vs organic.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i buy organic pesticides and synthetic nutrients. To the best i can. I go more for clean raw pure nutrients but for the most part im dyna gro, and i run products here and there to see what they offer. Some times its nice to see if you are missing out on something great. Every product has its place. its more understanding each products place that gives the benefit for me than the product itself. i fall somewhere in the middle with lots of organic processes with the simplification of synthetic nutes. Which in theory if done right acts more of a boost to make more nutrients available. With the soil and amendments and all those living things doing their part. Much easier balance for my methods.

I dont really see one better than the other as they both have a spectrum of benefits which breaks down to user preference. More than preference the users ability to do it. If one were truly superior in all facets this discussion wouldn't be needed. So its not really a 'This is better then that'.... but more a point to the benefits one can gain from the working knowledge of both methods and their symbiosis/roles they play in the grand scheme. I dont like it to come across to new growers as one being superior by majority. When most growers have taken years to find what works for them. If i found another set of nutes for the same price as dyna gro that was as easy to use and control, id be all over it. But at the end of the day when comparing everything in that price range. Just is my preference to stick with dyna gro. As im sure which ever side of the spectrum id choose i could get relative results.

To the point of damage and negative impacts brought up by some of the people @shaganja posted. Its my opinion**. Most cannabis growers use amended soil and pots so hard to talk about what over use of nutrients and large scale environmental impacts have to the land when over used or can do to the soil. I havent met too many cannabis growers who werent far more ecoconcious to their products and there use. Than the commercial farmer counter part - as far as that discussion goes. I can see an argument to plastic waste. but not really eco waste or environmental damage from synth-nute use from the products themselves when used responsibly. We dont really use unsustainable products being hunted to extinction. Considering lots of us compost and all those things that would be a balance to our small scale grows. Probably much larger the talk of environmental impacts from mismanagement then proper use and disposal. Dumping your reservoir in a garden bed vs down the drain. Me applying dyna gro to my farm field isnt going to destroy my forest. I can certainly damage the soil to where things will only grow when given nutrients. But for me that falls under mismanagement vs the product itself.

Regardless of where you fall. I believe the goal when growing is using as little product as possible to achieve the best results. I dont want to use 35x more products to achieve 5% more yield and have to tell myself it tastes better to justify the expense. Whether organic or synth.

Just my 2 cents on synth vs organic.
Well said

Top Bottom