What do you think this is?

• Thread starter user1303
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
user1303

user1303

I'm fairly new to growing, i grow in tent indoor under an LED light.
Not sure what these white or discolored spots are, this is the 2nd or 3rd plant with the same issue.
i tired googling it for hours but i couldn't find similar issues. the only thing that might have pointed to this is the tobacco mosaic virus, but i cant confirm.
On random leafs i have these slight discoloring, and also some of the leafs have slight deformation.
My previous plant that had this issue did not grow very well, and now i notice it with brand new seed and soil.

the seed is gorilla cookies auto, grown in Soil (Canna terra Professional) no nutrients have been added yet, only PH water.
this is my 5th plant, so i'm still quiet new to growing.

any help with would be great.
thank you

What do you think this is
Last edited:
Aaflexy

Aaflexy

I looked up the virus and it’s almost identical to your plants

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
that is nutrient burn.

it is too "hot", too rich in nutrients.

that is a common issue with Canna terra Professional. from what i see, you can mix it and use it, go with about 1/3 Canna terra Professional and 2/3 cocoloco (or any other potting soil.) many here would tell you to add perlite too.

it is no virus, it is just a nute burn. is this the same soil you used last time?

with this soil it seems to even need to be mixed when you up-pot and she is older, so definitely not great for seedling.

it is an auto, so im not sure you can save her.

for your next try, use 1/3 of Canna terra Professional in the bottom, and the rest cocoloco (or any other neutral potting soil). when she gets strong her roots will get to the hot stuff and be ok

Last edited:
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

It doesn’t look like nutrient burn at all. What ph is your water? What’s your watering routine? What’s the ph run off? How close are the lights?
Don’t give up on her , these things are resilient and bounce back from almost anything.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
it is soil... it is buffereed to 6.3-6.8 pH pretty much no matter what you do. and anything you use to alter it wont get along with what they used, things will go south fast if you start messing with it. and do not water to run off in soil like this. the water till runoff is a soilless thing to do, and very rarely for soil growers.

it is an auto, once stunted you wont get great or even good results, so the time/money invested to get a bad yield is not really worth it. unless it is your only seed and you cant find any other.

google your soil and you can see the returns on it being too "hot" for seedlings.

i had a similar issue on my grow. i had one and i had the hot soil at the bottom, i spilled the whole thing and when i cleaned it up i just stuffed her back in and the same thing happened... being anal retentive, i had to prove it to myself, so i started a new seed, and i put it in the hot soil and it did the same thing, so i repeated the spill with yet another seed, same results, so i repeated it with a different strain, same results. i am convinced, but if you have the seeds, just plop one in some cocoloco. it wont have the splotchy stuff. then transplant it to some of the hot stuff, you get the splotchy stuff.

this is mine, it was grown with several other plants that showed no signs (so virus was sort of contraindicated) i have since used the same soil and no sign of the splotchy stuff:
20210401 214255

user1303

user1303

Thank you all very much for your feedback is this is very helpful.
First time i saw this in a different seed, i ended up throwing away the whole thing, seed and soil. tried again same seed strain and same soil bag, and the same thing happened and the seedling stunted for a week or two, but i decided to go with it anyways and the results were bad.
i had a different strain growing at the same time, in same batch of soil with no issues.

this time its a new strain but same soil bag again and i see the same result as the first time this happen, so I'm starting to believe this is due to the soil as well.
i have planted in Canna terra professional the times before and had no issues, can you recommend a good soil for auto flower? i cant seem to find cocoloco in Netherlands

i have been watering it with ph between 6 and 7, only 0.5L every other day, so no run off so far, and the light is at 55 Cm away from the plant.

Do you recommend i let the water run off next time? I'm getting close to also tossing this out and starting again with good soil or coco. having access to seeds is not an issue and this time around i decided to just go for one plant at a time as i feel my grow space is getting too crammed with more than one plant (80x80x180)

one thing is that its growing ok, this was planted in soil on the 26th of july, so just a little over a week and it doesnt seem to be stunted or anything.

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

For me with just about the same issue it was a lack of calmag. Started watering with a PH of 6.3 and some GH cal mag and it went away in a few 2-3 days. Picture is under lights unfortunately but it looked like your plant.
913AF82E E929 4748 86BE 9CD1B0D770B7

01ADE418 8229 4680 841F B98FD843A024

This is her now, turned into the better of two plants:
59DA341A 2DD7 443B BD16 21FE77289FFA
E9564606 AF2B 4CF5 A556 60FC58EC1523

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
you have her in soil, so NO to the runoff thing. that is not for soil grows.

tossing it is the thing to do if you are not hurting for seeds. like you said, you can keep her alive but since she is auto she will never be a great plant.

try roots organic, or any other soil that is neutral.

for future, stop messing with your pH, you are in a BUFFERED SOIL... NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IT WONT CHANGE THE PH AND IT WILL HURT HER

google the soil. you can see the same issue with a LOT of growers.

read about the soil, it has a buffer added so you wont have to ph it at all, it says that in the blurb on the site, in a ton of posts here and on all the other forums, just google it!

if you use your chemicals to raise/lower it then add that to the chemicals they added and you have chemical soup, without a degree you cant know the results.

people want to ph everything and it flows over into soil grows and it shouldnt (at least not in that way) soil is pretty pH friendly. most have an added lime that buffers the pH to between 6.3 and 6.8. NO MATTER WHAT YOU TRY (said for effect, there are EXTREME things you can do if you really want to kill the soil). but in doing that to your soil, you hurt it and make it just dirt. (over time anyway)

peruse the stickies here, there are great ones on pH, Watering and many other great things, id link them but im not at my desk. when i get back ill try and remember

Last edited:
user1303

user1303

Thank you @lvstealth for the help and support
since its almost weekend i cant have new seeds shipped until monday i will try to just water it normally (but our water here is ph at 8.0 is that ok?) i do have some calmag, i'm thinking to add a drop and if things dont pick up until early next week then i'm tossing it out and trying with new strain and specially new soil.

ArrEll

ArrEll

you have her in soil, so NO to the runoff thing. that is not for soil grows.

tossing it is the thing to do if you are not hurting for seeds. like you said, you can keep her alive but since she is auto she will never be a great plant.

try roots organic, or any other soil that is neutral.

for future, stop messing with your pH, you are in a BUFFERED SOIL... NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO IT WONT CHANGE THE PH AND IT WILL HURT HER

google the soil. you can see the same issue with a LOT of growers.

read about the soil, it has a buffer added so you wont have to ph it at all, it says that in the blurb on the site, in a ton of posts here and on all the other forums, just google it!

if you use your chemicals to raise/lower it then add that to the chemicals they added and you have chemical soup, without a degree you cant know the results.

people want to ph everything and it flows over into soil grows and it shouldnt (at least not in that way) soil is pretty pH friendly. most have an added lime that buffers the pH to between 6.3 and 6.8. NO MATTER WHAT YOU TRY (said for effect, there are EXTREME things you can do if you really want to kill the soil). but in doing that to your soil, you hurt it and make it just dirt. (over time anyway)

peruse the stickies here, there are great ones on pH, Watering and many other great things, id link them but im not at my desk. when i get back ill try and remember
IMO, this is good advice. I am doing my first Organic Grow, and this has proven to be true for me. I do not "flush" my plants, or "check my runoff", etc. - NOT if you're doing a Living Soil Grow.....my four Blue Amnesia Autoflower plants are doing just fine. I'd post pics but I don't want to Hijack your thread.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Dude don’t give up on that plant, I think that’s absolutely horrible advice. I’ve grown autos with a lot of problems and still had good yields and really decent smoke. Sure they weren’t perfect but fixing the problems throughout the grow is how you learn. Do some research and see what other people say on here about watering practices. I’m sure you’ll be hard pressed to find people that just scrap the grow at the first sign of problems…. With the exception of this guy🙄

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
ok, so your water is 8, and you add "stuff" that lowers that, right? and it works, right? then why is it hard to believe that the soil has the "stuff" in it and does it for you? and then further, to realize that doing it then the soil getting that added to it will just make it plummet? you have stuff in the soil, you add stuff to the water you add the water to the soil... and then you have stuff + stuff, that equals too much stuff.

when you plant a seedling in soil like yours, it has plenty of food for its first 4 weeks (give or take), so no to cal, no to mag, no to all that stuff. the issue is too much, no too little. it is OVERFED, it is burnt.

if you want to save it, just leave it alone and keep watering (using the weight method) and it will grow but be splotchy.

at some point it will really take off, lots of greenery (because it has lots of nutes) but still splotchy, and the splotchy ones wont stop being splotchy.

then at early flower the plant will put out a few good leaves... from then on, you will fight "fall". your plant will be less than ok. leaves will yellow and fall and you will up this and up that and get a minute of good, then it will be fall again. when you give up she will have a bunch of small buds that are just ok. or ... that is my prediction.

mine were photos, so i had that going for me, but i did the one and then tested 4 others... that is how it happened.

if this is an auto, at about 2 weeks old, so it will, or should, start flowering at between 3 and 5 weeks old, so it doesnt have much time to get its poop in a group. <----that right there is why i say ditch the auto if she isnt great, it is a waste of the time, the nutes, the space and the light to grow her, that is if you have seeds.

on another note, if you have room and some ability, you can trick her a bit...

is she in a 5 gal bag? if so, you can remove her, lightly shake off some dirt, not a lot though (dont really disturb the rootball if you can help it)

now is the trick part, put her in a 7 gal bag. use a milder soil. the funny thing with an auto is they are time engineered. they bloom on a time basis, usually 3 to 5 weeks from germination... but you can stall that by using a bigger pot. the "timer" for the start of flower doesnt really start till the root growing activity is at a certain point (mostly in lay terms, when the roots find the bottom/sides of the pot)

so, she wont start the clock on flowering if you can keep her in the root growing phase.

but you need to do that about NOW, those leaves it is growing are the sign that it is about a week from "there"

user1303

user1303

@Lynch_Ironside true it will grow and produce, but its not much and the quality is ok, or at least that's what happened last time. i only kept it going because i had some other plant that was doing well.
this time around i thought due to the small space i have i want to try with just one and focus on that, so if its gonna grow similar to the previous one, i'm not sure its worth it.

@lvstealth, thanks again, i totally know what you mean with the soil ph the water too, i actually was not fully aware of that.
in the mean time i had ordered new soil BioBizz lite (https://www.biobizz.com/producto/lightmix/) since i had similar issue with this soil the last three times i planted something.
it should be lite on neuts and i wont need any for a few weeks. not sure if you know of this brand but if you do, does it also ph the water with its "stuff"?
i have a 3.7 gallon pot (14 litters), but i was thinking to keep this one and move it to the side of the grow tent and perhaps plant a new one with the new soil. if it improves great, and otherwise i'll have a back up, and next grow i'll focus on just one and hopefully get it right. Funny my first and 2nd grow went so well, not the biggest harvest but the quality was really good.
anyways do you recommend getting a bigger pot? (20 litters)?

to all: i really appreciate the support of this form, and i hope one day i can return the favor

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
yes, that soil is buffered also. it uses a little different "stuff" but it is basically the same.

3 to 5 gallon is great for an auto. if just one, id use a 5 gallon. they will have just a tad more veg time so you will get a decent yield. look into watering it though. watering peet is different. it should not get dry, it has a hard time going from dry to damp, it sort of sheds off water when it gets too dry. just google it, and the trick is water slowly, like take 5 min to pour the water in the plant. i tend to use a small half cup, fill it, then water then fill it then water... but slow is the key.

Top Bottom